Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Marcelo Claure's hard reset of Sprint

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Marcelo Claure's hard reset of Sprint

Here's a very good article about what he's trying to do...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...e46032535.html

I must admit, I'm not the biggest fan of Claure and my opinion of Sprint is that it's a nightmare pit of doom, but I think he's on to something with the breakup of the company into regional hubs.

This will give regional presidents the ability to shine in their own way and hopefully shake off the stigma of the old Sprint image. He's doing the right thing by bringing in as much "fresh blood" as possible. Claure is smart to delegate power because he isn't a one man powerhouse like John Legere. Although Legere has an absolutely amazing team, he is always out front and always leading. Claure will be better served by allowing his regional presidents to do their own leading.

I still have major doubts whether Sprint (as we know it) will survive beyond the end of next year, but changes within the company are underway. The sad truth is that all of these changes should have been made the moment that Softbank became owner of Sprint, not years later. I'm sure lots of people were thinking of these classic lyrics by Rock band The Who, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

I guess we'll see what 2016 brings. Let's hope that Sprint can separate itself from its unofficial slogan of " SOON™ " and actually deliver SOMETHING other than stagnation, bad decisions and "Frailure".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Here's a very good article about what he's trying to do...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...e46032535.html

I must admit, I'm not the biggest fan of Claure and my opinion of Sprint is that it's a nightmare pit of doom, but I think he's on to something with the breakup of the company into regional hubs.

This will give regional presidents the ability to shine in their own way and hopefully shake off the stigma of the old Sprint image. He's doing the right thing by bringing in as much "fresh blood" as possible. Claure is smart to delegate power because he isn't a one man powerhouse like John Legere. Although Legere has an absolutely amazing team, he is always out front and always leading. Claure will be better served by allowing his regional presidents to do their own leading.

I still have major doubts whether Sprint (as we know it) will survive beyond the end of next year, but changes within the company are underway. The sad truth is that all of these changes should have been made the moment that Softbank became owner of Sprint, not years later. I'm sure lots of people were thinking of these classic lyrics by Rock band The Who, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

I guess we'll see what 2016 brings. Let's hope that Sprint can separate itself from its unofficial slogan of " SOON™ " and actually deliver SOMETHING other than stagnation, bad decisions and "Frailure".
    All these analysts who claim Sprint is going to fail and die or crash and burn are like those guys who are always on the street with "The end is near" signs... Nothing more than propaganda from magentalites

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mjnoz View Post
    All these analysts who claim Sprint is going to fail and die or crash and burn are like those guys who are always on the street with "The end is near" signs... Nothing more than propaganda from magentalites

Maybe... but in a period of significant growth for the industry, Sprint lost customers and lost money. Now the industry is pretty saturated and growth is much harder to come by, hence the focus on tablets, connected cars, etc. The growth will be much harder in the future now that almost everyone and their dog has wireless service. And Sprint growing in particular will be hard because of legacy technologies they have yet to fully phase out (CDMA2000, Wimax), a lack of low-band spectrum (SMR is broad, but not deep), a lack of ability to play in the connected car space, bad PR from unforced errors like being slow to adopt BYOD and willingness to activate any Sprint phone on any of their prepaid brands, etc. Not participating in AWS-3 made sense due to their wealth of EBS spectrum, buy not participating in 600MHz? How is that sensible? Unless they're undercapitalized to the point that they can't participate.

I'm no T-Mobile fan (see posts in recent days in other threads criticizing them for unlimited policies that are leading to congestion problems, and complaints that "Uncarrier" options make things needlessly complicated, and aren't free when you can get the same core service from MetroPCS for less). But if I were investing in the U.S. wireless industry, I'd take T-Mobile's (or Verizon's, or AT&T's) problems over Sprint's any day.

As others have said, simply offering to cut your bill in half if you come from another provider isn't much of a strategy to turn the shop around, especially when you won't take anyone on a grandparented plan anymore. What about a good reason to sign up with Sprint in the first place without going elsewhere first? There are a few things that might excite me to sign up with a carrier: best coverage, best features, best devices, best prices, best customer service, or preferably a combination of the above. Which of the above are Sprint generally known for across the country?

I've personally never been able to use Sprint's service because my experience with the U.S. is roaming-centric, so has always been on AT&T and/or T-Mobile. But I follow the industry there with interest.
    Asus ROG Phone -- SIM 1: Rogers (10GB + unlimited) -- SIM 2: Public Mobile (talk/text/250 MB)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's hoping it leads to competent leadership that leads to coverage expansions (where necessary) and plan improvements that are competitive against T-Mobile so Sprint can add millions of customers, become profitable, and finally start growing revenue like them, too. Successful competition benefits all consumers since it forces other carriers to respond, which in turn leads to more competitive responses.

Their entire leadership team should be paid in just stock so they have motivation to turn things around... instead of Marcelo being the highest paid telecom CEO.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Here's hoping it leads to competent leadership that leads to coverage expansions (where necessary) and plan improvements that are competitive against T-Mobile so Sprint can add millions of customers, become profitable, and finally start growing revenue like them, too. Successful competition benefits all consumers since it forces other carriers to respond, which in turn leads to more competitive responses.

Their entire leadership team should be paid in just stock so they have motivation to turn things around... instead of Marcelo being the highest paid telecom CEO.

They have a (nearly) nationwide SMR licence, and while it's a slim sliver of spectrum it can be inexpensively deployed over a broad area with good in-building penetration. Look at what T-Mobile is doing in Northern Michigan as an example of a slim slice of low-band across a broad area without high-band spectrum support, because it's not generally necessary in areas with fewer people. Co-locate high-band on these sites if you wish, but space them out for SMR. Then deploy more of Sprint's high-band spectrum than they're using now, including deploying some of their EBS as band 7 BRS with VoLTE in urban areas and allow people with band 7 handsets to activate them on Sprint's network. Band 7 would even allow for the potential to earn roaming revenue. And Sprint has unused EBS all over the place, so it seems like a massive missed opportunity, unless there's some technical reason that two band deployments can't co-exist in that spectrum.

Feedback Score
    Unless a huge Santa Claus funder comes along for them, they just don't have the money for those sort of pipe dreams

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hurdle View Post
    They have a (nearly) nationwide SMR licence, and while it's a slim sliver of spectrum it can be inexpensively deployed over a broad area with good in-building penetration. Look at what T-Mobile is doing in Northern Michigan as an example of a slim slice of low-band across a broad area without high-band spectrum support, because it's not generally necessary in areas with fewer people. Co-locate high-band on these sites if you wish, but space them out for SMR. Then deploy more of Sprint's high-band spectrum than they're using now, including deploying some of their EBS as band 7 BRS with VoLTE in urban areas and allow people with band 7 handsets to activate them on Sprint's network. Band 7 would even allow for the potential to earn roaming revenue. And Sprint has unused EBS all over the place, so it seems like a massive missed opportunity, unless there's some technical reason that two band deployments can't co-exist in that spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Unless a huge Santa Claus funder comes along for them, they just don't have the money for those sort of pipe dreams
    Steven Hurdle is right - this must be done. Tmobile, with all of its marketing hoopla, only is realizing other gains by true expansion. Look at the increase in business customers which are golden for a carrier - due to the bigger footprint.

Sprint is owned by a company with a lot of money. Firing people after you acquired a whole new business, shifting leasing debt to a new made-up company, etc. aren't fixing the problems. Sprint needs cash and Softbank needs to work within their confines to infuse cash into this sinking ship - slight of hands stuff don't work well and are a sign of disaster.

Regional cities isn't going to work. They need a network to support competition - simply having a cheaper(ish) price isn't cutting the mustard. This is a very backwards idea too - he's hiring a multi-national team to go into very specific niches of America and understand the culture? How does an Australian exactly relate to Houston? Or how does a guy who ran a Hong Kong telecom understand the nuances of rural America in New Mexico?

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Regional cities isn't going to work. They need a network to support competition - simply having a cheaper(ish) price isn't cutting the mustard. This is a very backwards idea too - he's hiring a multi-national team to go into very specific niches of America and understand the culture? How does an Australian exactly relate to Houston? Or how does a guy who ran a Hong Kong telecom understand the nuances of rural America in New Mexico?
    This could indeed become a problem.

Feedback Score
    Introducing more micro-managing. Sprint will not succeed until they step up and offer brand differentiation. T-Mobile did it with Uncarrier. Sprint is placing their future success on their network, yet they have no plans for rural coverage except to sign expensive roaming agreements. Nobody is going to give up ATT/Verizon coverage for Sprint. Nobody on T-Mobile will give up unlimited music/video for Sprint. Where does that leave Sprint? People too cheap to pay for ATT/Verizon or too ignorant to switch to T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    droid bionic 4glte
    Carrier(s)
    verizon wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Introducing more micro-managing. Sprint will not succeed until they step up and offer brand differentiation. T-Mobile did it with Uncarrier. Sprint is placing their future success on their network, yet they have no plans for rural coverage except to sign expensive roaming agreements. Nobody is going to give up ATT/Verizon coverage for Sprint. Nobody on T-Mobile will give up unlimited music/video for Sprint. Where does that leave Sprint? People too cheap to pay for ATT/Verizon or too ignorant to switch to T-Mobile.
    THIS.

Feedback Score
    Are you suggesting that you know something about the economics of roaming within the CCA that hasn't been made public?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

There has been coverage expansions not too far from me in the old USCC areas that were vacated. Maybe it isn't enough. That said, there is movement. B41 has to still be job #1 though. They finally starting to make headway with that in places like Chicago, St. Louis, Denver, and Indy.

I do think that VoLTE is something Sprint has to accelerate, using VZW's VoLTE is spoiling me a bit. I haven't dropped a call on it and in a lot of ways it works better than CDMA does in Southern Illinois. I like having talk and surf again too, I didn't have that since I was on AT&T long ago. Higher quality voice helps too. I just don't know if the urgency for it is there on Sprint's end, they have experienced better reliability on 800 1X and seem OK with that. I get that, I just don't think Sprint can afford to rest on their laurels there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    There has been coverage expansions not too far from me in the old USCC areas that were vacated. Maybe it isn't enough. That said, there is movement. B41 has to still be job #1 though. They finally starting to make headway with that in places like Chicago, St. Louis, Denver, and Indy.

I do think that VoLTE is something Sprint has to accelerate, using VZW's VoLTE is spoiling me a bit. I haven't dropped a call on it and in a lot of ways it works better than CDMA does in Southern Illinois. I like having talk and surf again too, I didn't have that since I was on AT&T long ago. Higher quality voice helps too. I just don't know if the urgency for it is there on Sprint's end, they have experienced better reliability on 800 1X and seem OK with that. I get that, I just don't think Sprint can afford to rest on their laurels there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree on the volte - sounds way nicer. The only time I still have trouble talking and such is a cell phone running on VZW's CDMA or the few Sprint folks that are still around. Otherwise calls sound just about like a landline - given most landlines these days at offices are VOIP anyway, the technology is similar.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    I must admit, I'm not the biggest fan of Claure and my opinion of Sprint is that it's a nightmare pit of doom
    I still don't get why they hired him. His business experience is that he started a B2B company that was successful? That's it?

He doesn't appear to have any experience in telecom, the Internet, or dealing with retail consumer marketing. He can barely speak or write English, which doesn't mean he's dumb, but he's not a great communicator; he's inarticulate at best. He doesn't inspire. He doesn't innovate, he makes lame attempts at copying Legere which keep failing and make him look even dumber.

This just isn't a guy up to running a major US carrier... and his performance proves it. But now they've dug the hole so deeply replacing him would almost be worse than keeping him. The name Sprint is almost as tarnished as Enron or Yugo.

I really wonder what they were possibly thinking hiring him.

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by p6B5Nm5b; 12-29-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Feedback Score
    His performance proves it? His performance and Sprint's stock price is not the same thing.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast