Thread: Second hand iPhone 4 or cheap new phone?

Feedback Score

Second hand iPhone 4 or cheap new phone?

A friend of mine is getting a new phone and he's willing to sell me his old iPhone 4 for 50 euros. Now I know absolutely nothing about phones, but I've been doing some internet research and it seems that the iPhone 4 is basically extremely outdated for 2015 (almost 2016) and I would be better off buying a cheap new model from some unknown brand. I don't expect much from a phone and I don't need a super good one, but if I can get something better for about the same price then I'd go for that ofcourse. (Also, I'm not really a fan of Apple, so normally I probably wouldn't choose an iPhone.)

So, old second hand iPhone 4 or cheap new phone from a somewhat obscure brand?

Feedback Score
    Well I am no great fan of ifruit either and they do their best to lock you in, so in my opinion the only reason to get involved with that ecosystem would be if you actively wanted to.
    And yes it is very old by today's standards.
    However my advice would be depending on where you live and what markets are available to you, to buy a 1 year or 2 year old Android flagship phone second hand from a mainstream manufacturer like Motorola or LG, rather than a cheap new one.
    Also look out for sim unlocked phones that you can root and unlock the bootloader.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    What kind of friend is that? He/she should give you that old iPhone. Best to buy a newer phone.

Feedback Score
    My advice would be to pick your ecosystem first, then choose the phone. For example, if you know and like iPhones the 4 would probably be fine for most purposes. I know someone who has one and is perfectly happy with it most of the time. One thing nice about iPhones is that they seem to keep working fine until they one day just die, whereas old Androids seems to get decrepit and live on and on, frustrating their users! Not sure which is worse. I don't know what is available in Europe, but over here we have many deals on good new phones for less than $100 (US dollars). Just on GoPhone right now you can get the Asus ZenPhone 2E or the Lumia 640 for less than $100, and both are pretty good phones. You can spend less than $50 for several decent new phones: Lumia 635 and ZTE Maven come to mind. I would rate the ecosystems in this order: iPhones provide the best quality apps and the lowest hassle, Android provides the widest variety of phones, apps, launchers, etc., etc., at the cost of less security and greater hassle, and Windows Phone offers a secure, simple, and different interface that is sadly lacking in the app area.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll think it over some more.

Feedback Score
    I would prefer an android phone over iPhone. Reason? Because apple is too complicated and has a lot of locks plus you're right about being outdated, if you buy an iphone4 today, tomorrow there would be 7 and the next month there would be 8 and so on..

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    iPhone 4 is a bit "long of tooth" for a daily driver. Probably fine for calls, texts, e-mail and such but not for today's data needs. (Particularly for 50€)
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    just buy a new one although if you really don't have any preferences so long as you can call and text then iPhone 4 will be fine..

Feedback Score
    The oldest phone i would consider is an iphone 5s. and only if you purchased it new. old phones have mushy buttons