Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Cricket GS6 - best practices for setup and debloat?

Feedback Score

New Cricket GS6 - best practices for setup and debloat?

I got my new S6 fired up.....but I'm not on wifi so I can't really do all my app restore stuff at the moment

Two questions....

1) Are y'all using "Samsung Smart Switch" to migrate everything over from prior phone (if Samsung?) or just manually reinstalling all apps?

2) what can I delete bloatware-wise on this Cricket S6? Can/should I delete these various Samsung "Galaxy Essentials" and "Galaxy Gifts" links? What about all these Samsung apps like Hancom Office, Milk, Milk Video, Smart Remote, etc?

I decided I don't want to do pingpong root (and I don't think I even can, since my out of the box settings indicate a kernel of Aug 5, 2015). So just want to debloat as much as I can without root.

Feedback Score
    Debloat will do nothing without root, other than remove the icon. Not going to free up space, doesn't use RAM unless you're using it.
    Running services maybe, but to be honest you really need root to do this stuff effectively.

Feedback Score
    By the way, I know I had earlier questions on how the activation of the NEW vs EXISTING sim card would work with the Cyber Monday sale.....well it was even more automatic than I had suspected.

All I did was put my current SIM card (from my S4) into my S6 and the phone started buzzing and texting me all kinds of crap from Cricket about how my account was changed etc. So long story short, basically it automatically recognized my account and now when I go into the Cricket account, it shows "Galaxy S6" as my active phone, etc.

Would be interesting to stick the sim back in the S4 and see if it reverses the process.....

So basically all of my thought about whether I needed to put the new sim in (that came with the phone) vs using the old sim were for naught. I'll just use the old sim since obviously the system updated just fine. And my worries about confusing the $100 port in credit should also be for naught.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Debloat will do nothing without root, other than remove the icon. Not going to free up space, doesn't use RAM unless you're using it.
    Running services maybe, but to be honest you really need root to do this stuff effectively.
    Came across this....claims to debloat without root.....haven't tried it yet.....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...bloat-t2998294

Feedback Score
    Easiest and most effective way to debloat a Samsung is to put it back in the box and sell it on eBay, then buy a Nexus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    now when I go into the Cricket account, it shows "Galaxy S6" as my active phone, etc.
    maybe matching up by IMEI?

Feedback Score
    Came across this....claims to debloat without root.....haven't tried it yet.....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...bloat-t2998294
    I wish I found that back when I had Android.

Feedback Score
    Yes it looks great, but just realize all it is doing is disabling, not actually freeing up space. Yes if there is a background service that you cannot disable from the normal Android interface that part would be useful to free up some RAM and CPU cycles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Yes it looks great, but just realize all it is doing is disabling, not actually freeing up space. Yes if there is a background service that you cannot disable from the normal Android interface that part would be useful to free up some RAM and CPU cycles.
    Damn, my excitement just plummeted a bit. All is not lost though, the 7th bullet point down says it can debloat if you have root. I had root when I ran Android, but couldn't find a way to debloat and moving apps to the SD card had limited usefulness.

Not exactly what the OP was looking for though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Easiest and most effective way to debloat a Samsung is to put it back in the box and sell it on eBay, then buy a Nexus.
    Pls show me how the Nexus beats the GS6 across the board on various things, please. And don't use price/GS6 way too expensive since I just bought one for cheaper than a Nexus...

proceed.....

Feedback Score
    Are you saying the Samsung is just as easy to unlock the bootloader and root, just as much development community support for custom roms?
    Because I think that's all anyone was talking about

Feedback Score
    Anyone having touchscreen issues with their Galaxy S6? Bought online from Cricket but they don't have an easy way to exchange it. My options are to buy a new one (no longer on sale) and return the old one, or wait till after the 7 day return period for their warranty. Their warranty is for a refurbished unit and "comes with an additional back cover and battery" which makes it sound like an older model. Just horrible cs. At least my credit card company gives me a longer return period for a full refund.

Feedback Score
    I tried mine out today and it seems to work (fingers crossed)

What are the "touchscreen issues" you're having?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aio_user View Post
    Anyone having touchscreen issues with their Galaxy S6? Bought online from Cricket but they don't have an easy way to exchange it. My options are to buy a new one (no longer on sale) and return the old one, or wait till after the 7 day return period for their warranty. Their warranty is for a refurbished unit and "comes with an additional back cover and battery" which makes it sound like an older model. Just horrible cs. At least my credit card company gives me a longer return period for a full refund.
    What about the factory warranty?

Feedback Score
    I tried mine out today and it seems to work (fingers crossed)

What are the "touchscreen issues" you're having?
    I was able to email their Zen Desk support and a manager reached out to me. She will be sending me a new Galaxy S6, and once I receive it I can send the defective unit back. I've already received the UPS return label.

The phone worked fine out of the box, but I woke up the next morning and the touch screen stopped responding. The power button, volume buttons, and fingerprint sensor would all work but the screen wouldn't respond when I try to touch to open apps or swipe through home screens. After several forced reboots the touch screen became responsive again, but after using for a few minutes it would become unresponsive. If I leave the phone alone for several hours the touch screen would work once again, but after a few minutes of use the problem comes back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast