Thread: Help! Smartphone for 85-year-old in Canada?

Feedback Score

Help! Smartphone for 85-year-old in Canada?

Hi. I am new to this forum so please forgive me if the answer is already out there and I didn't find it.

Background: My mother is 85 and does not have a cell phone. She is not good with new technology. Her eyesight is not what it used to be. I would just get her a push button cell phone but she would like to take pictures and see pictures sent to her. She likes the idea of texting (although she isn't really clear on what it is).

What I have found: It looks like there is a phone called the Jitterbug 3 which would be perfect. No unnecessary stuff. Just phone, text, camera, and photos in a clear list. Perfect.

She doesn't need the emergency button (and will be a bit offended that anyone would think she might need it) but one unnecessary option is no big deal.

Problem: So I would buy it, BUT it seems to be attached to a service provider called GreatCall. I can't tell if they exist in Canada or not. If they do, fine. I understand their range is not great, but my mum lives in Toronto and does not travel. BUT what if they don't exist in Canada?

Question for you guys: Can I get the Jitterbug 3 in Canada with a different service provider? If not, is there a different phone which is like the Jitterbug 3 but would work in Canada? Cost is not a huge issue as I am willing to invest so that my mum can have a phone she can use.

Thank you for any help!

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    >Help! Smartphone for 85-year-old in Canada?
    >Hi. I am new to this forum so please forgive me
    >if the answer is already out there and I didn't find it.

Okeh. We talk about this allot!

>Background: ...

Okeh.

>The Jitterbug Touch3 which would be perfect.

Good. According to the wiki ... the Jitterbug Touch3 is a Samsung Galaxy smartphone customized with GreatCall’s software and user interface, made specifically for older adults. The Jitterbug Touch3 has a 4-inch touchscreen with a full-size, onscreen keyboard, and comes pre-loaded with GreatCall’s health and safety applications.

> ... it seems to be attached to a service provider called GreatCall.

According to the wiki ... GreatCall provides nationwide cellular service as a mobile virtual network operator through the Verizon Wireless network.

Therefore, not likely to be very useful in Canada - as their apps would "point" to services in the US. Also, the CDMA2000 service needed will end in Canada in 2016 0r 2017 depending on carrier.

>Can I get the Jitterbug 3 in Canada with a different service provider?

The answer is clear - no.

>is there (something) like the Jitterbug 3 but would work in Canada?

Knowing that you're dealing with a Samsung Galaxy (there are many varients), I'd tell you to go to the store and look. Based on my little-old-lady neighbor I'd suggest a slider with a full keyboard.

Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If you Google you can find "cell phones for seniors". There are a number of basic phones with big displays, big keys and easy operation. You buy one and slip in a SIM and you're good to go. You just need to make sure that the phone is compatible with the carrier you use.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    Okeh. We talk about this allot!
    Snapfon's ezTWO: A Better Cell for Seniors
    Another SpeakOut-Friendly Phone for Seniors
    Yet Another GSM Phone for Seniors - The Jethro ARCCI

Some more than others, it seems...
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Feedback Score
    It may be a challenge to find the best smartphone for seniors that makes consideration of the seniors’ limited experience with the modern technology, but there are some providers offer especially simplified smartphones for seniors like Jitterbug Smart, Doro Liberto 825 and others. Check a list of the best smartphones for seniors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dastin11 View Post
    It may be a challenge to find the best smartphone for seniors that makes consideration of the seniors’ limited experience with the modern technology, but there are some providers offer especially simplified smartphones for seniors like Jitterbug Smart, Doro Liberto 825 and others. Check a list of the best smartphones for seniors.
    I'm using the Jitterbug touch 3 which is decent for me. but you can go for the Jitterbug Smart it has a bigger screen and for sure improve the selection on the touch screen.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    My grandma use a regular cheap android phone. I just increase font and display size and sat down with her and explain the basics. All icons she uses are on the main screen. Teach her how to charge and set up favorite numbers.

Feedback Score
    You can spend smoe money to get a very ordinary smart phone,only can be work.