Thread: Scenes from the Anti-UBER Protest in Toronto

Carrier(s)
    Telus $70/20GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Post Scenes from the Anti-UBER Protest in Toronto

Name:  uber-01-nutjob.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  22.7 KB

This right here? This is the face of an industry that deserves to die. More on him in a bit.

Yesterday large swaths of Toronto were brought to a standstill by taxi drivers protesting Uber. More specifically, uberX—everyone seems to forget that you can still use Uber with a licensed cabbie, at least in this city.

In Toronto uberX is currently operating outside of local bylaws, but it's also hugely popular, and with good reason: through the app's rating system drivers are, for the first time ever, held accountable for their vehicles and service. There are some lingering questions about insurance and liability but honestly, I've had fantastic experiences with uberX, uberXL and even UberBlack every time I've used them.

And after yesterday's protest I'm going to be using them a lot more.

Name:  uber-02-dvp.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  70.3 KB

The protest started in the early morning hours. Here are cabs blocking the southbound Don Valley Parkway, a major route into the city for commuters.

Name:  uber-03-queenspark.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  64.9 KB

Here's Queen's Park, where the Ontario government sits, surrounded by honking cabs.

Now back to our friend at the top of the post. He got himself into a confrontation with an uberX driver and passenger, hanging on to the mirror of the car as it tried to drive away. Unfortunately I can't embed the video into this post, but you can see it for yourself via the first link below:

Cab driver pounds on UberX car, dragged 20 metres in Toronto protest
    Interview with the uberX passenger on a local news station

Name:  uber-04-ambulance.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  37.3 KB

Here are taxis actually blocking an ambulance. You can see the video here.

And back to our friend one more time: in what will likely be remembered as the worst PR move ever, he decides to go on camera comparing Uber to ISIS. Again, I can't embed the video directly, but you can see it for yourself here:

Toronto taxi driver compares Uber to ISIS

Despite calls from dispatchers to stand down, the protest continued well into the evening rush hour, until police finally stepped in and started handing out what I sincerely hope were very expensive tickets.

After similar—albeit much more violent—protests in France, local governments caved to taxi unions and made UberPOP (the European version of uberX) illegal. I certainly hope that Toronto doesn't suffer the same fate, because as of this day I vow to never take a metered taxi ride or airport limo again.

Source: reddit
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    ISIS? Does this mean Uber will start blowing up taxis?
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    ISIS? Does this mean Uber will start blowing up taxis?
    Will they burn their lips on the hot exhaust pipe? How will that work on an electric car?
    -----
    Your choices are yours and I do not criticize you for them.
    My choices are mine, please do not criticize me for my choices.
    -----
    Any comments I make are made to further any conversation that is happening and should not be taken as an attack or belittlement of anyone, unless I specifically say so.
    -----
    I dislike all politicians and lawyers equally.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABWagner View Post
    Will they burn their lips on the hot exhaust pipe? How will that work on an electric car?
    That's GOLD Jerry!
    Pure Gold!
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a very inexpensive price to pay for a very valuable life lesson. In fact probably several lessons that should be learned from this.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't regularly use Uber, but I know Lyft prompts you to accept an increase in price. I'm sure that Uber's the same way. Needless to say, I don't feel sorry for people that accept the surge pricing and then have buyer's remorse later. You know what you're getting into before you accept the fare.

Taxi companies have been digging their graves for years with how they let their drivers treat customers. This little stunt in Toronto just gave people another reason to use Uber/Lyft.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    I don't regularly use Uber, but I know Lyft prompts you to accept an increase in price. I'm sure that Uber's the same way. Needless to say, I don't feel sorry for people that accept the surge pricing and then have buyer's remorse later. You know what you're getting into before you accept the fare.

Taxi companies have been digging their graves for years with how they let their drivers treat customers. This little stunt in Toronto just gave people another reason to use Uber/Lyft.
    Plus the same people who complain about heavy surge pricing on NewYears eve, will complain about the 15% premium taxis charge at 2pm on July 17th ( or some other random time when nobody calls taxis), using the savings as the reason to call Uber.

Somebody once said something about supply and demand...

Limiting taxi licences, so July makes sense in taxi-land hobbles NewYears eve.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post

And the purpose of all the advertising for inebriated people NOT to drive their own vehicle. So someone who is three sheets to the wind is going to understand surge pricing? After getting zinged for ten times the "normal" rate, how many people will use Uber after that?

There are laws about price gouging. Perhaps someone should look at that aspect of the law concerning surge pricing.

And the ones really protesting Uber are the taxi medallion/licence owners, who bought licences ages ago, urged a limit on licences by the local politicians and who profit considerably by renting their medallion out to the drivers. Minimal risk and the value of those medallions have increased every year, until Uber came along.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And the purpose of all the advertising for inebriated people NOT to drive their own vehicle. So someone who is three sheets to the wind is going to understand surge pricing? After getting zinged for ten times the "normal" rate, how many people will use Uber after that?
    I'd say that's more like 30 sheets to the wind lol. I don't generally drink to that level, but I wouldn't drink like that alone and use Uber lol. I definitely agree that the surge pricing is a big turnoff to using Uber/Lyft.

There are laws about price gouging. Perhaps someone should look at that aspect of the law concerning surge pricing.
    My understanding about the surge pricing is that it's due to a sudden demand in the availability of drivers. If Uber/Lyft had enough drivers to handle the demand, then the prices are "supposed" to be normal.

And the ones really protesting Uber are the taxi medallion/licence owners, who bought licences ages ago, urged a limit on licences by the local politicians and who profit considerably by renting their medallion out to the drivers. Minimal risk and the value of those medallions have increased every year, until Uber came along.
    Right, that's whom I meant to refer to when I said cab companies. I know some cab drivers outright own the license, but my understanding is that the company generally owns the licenses and lets its employees use them while cab driving, i.e. Cab fleet.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    The city still sells taxi licenses
    They are not rare etc
    The special licenses were a very limited run and those are the ones some fools paid massively on secondary market for

But is that the city's fault?

It is no different than what happened in the cell industry
    Many people were selling old plans (eg Bell unlimited mobile browser) for hundreds of dollars
    Then Bell came along and killed the plan
    It is not Bell's fault some people paid too much for the plan on secondary market

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind on HMP2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    The city still sells taxi licenses
    They are not rare etc
    The special licenses were a very limited run and those are the ones some fools paid massively on secondary market for

But is that the city's fault?

It is no different than what happened in the cell industry
    Many people were selling old plans (eg Bell unlimited mobile browser) for hundreds of dollars
    Then Bell came along and killed the plan
    It is not Bell's fault some people paid too much for the plan on secondary market
    Depending on your city, the issue is at one point there were no licences, then there was a glut of taxi drivers as so many could become a taxi driver at various times of the day, and then licences came in along with regulations. From that point, licences became a "monopoly" situation, one that the city very rarely doled more licences out, and taxis could do whatever they wanted to, since there was little competition.

With Uber, there is competition that the taxi licence owners are finding it difficult to compete with, and thus the drivers under those licences are having difficulty. The value of a licence has dropped considerably. When these investors lose money, they get PO'd.

The consumer wants service, AT ANY TIME OF THE DAY OR NIGHT, WEEKDAYS AND WEEKENDS. Taxi drivers want to have a 9 to 5 job, or whatever extra hours after their 9 to 5 job, which is understandable, but the customer is looking for service. If Uber provides service, the customer will go there. Simple.

And EVERY politician makes laws that are geared to protecting someone or goring someone else. Laws are not necessarily written for common sense, and there are ALWAYS loopholes. This keeps the lawyers, once they are no longer politicians, in business fighting the laws they created.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Depending on your city, the issue is at one point there were no licences, then there was a glut of taxi drivers as so many could become a taxi driver at various times of the day, and then licences came in along with regulations. From that point, licences became a "monopoly" situation, one that the city very rarely doled more licences out, and taxis could do whatever they wanted to, since there was little competition.
    Wrong... you are confusing what they call a "standard license" with a "license"
    The old licenses (like in my example, same analogy as grandfathered plans) had certain advantages (loopholes) that new licenses do not
    So many people paid up to 1000X the actual face value cost to buy one on secondary market
    Today those overpriced licenses are worth not even half what some people invested in them
    Worse Toronto in particular is now trying to force conversions of the old licenses to the new ones (which ALOT of pissed owners are vigorously fighting against)

As far as I know Montreal & Toronto are the only Canadian cities that ever had these issues

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound T¡Ther
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Taxi drivers prepare to protest again February 12

The rally hinges on a vote at city council this week for an injunction against Uber
    https://nowtoronto.com/news/taxi-dri...gain-february/