Thread: Battery usage stats

Device(s)
    Samsung S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Battery usage stats

I have a feeling that the Battery usage info that comes with the stock Android (5.0) is not very accurate / make much sense. When I first got my phone about a year ago, Screen used to be the biggest drain. However recently, I noticed that biggest offenders are Android OS, Android System, and Google Services. For instance, my current reading:

Google Services 26%
    Android OS 17%
    Android System 11%
    Screen 10%
    etc.

I have a few questions:

1. When an app uses GPS or some other sensor, etc, is the energy used reported under the Android System / OS, or under the app itself?

2. I also have GSAM to measure battery usage. Over the same time period, it shows totally different numbers, actually reversed. Why the discrepancy? I have a feeling it's more than just calibration. Here's the GSAM numbers:

Screen 30%
    Android System 22.4%
    Android OS 16.1%
    Google Services 2.8%

3. Is there any app (preferably free, but I'm willing to pay) that accurately measures the battery usage of each app (including CPU, GPS, etc)? In particular, if the number reported for an app over a time period is say 10%, I expect to see a 10% absolute change in battery percentage if I did not have / use that app in the first place. Even more specifically, I do not expect any battery usage percentages (Android OS / System, Google Services, etc) to be affected by installing or uninstalling other apps - i.e. any energy consumption due to an app (even if it were to call other services) should be reported under that particular app. Is this possible?

Feedback Score
    I prefer Battery Doctor because it is very accurate and its free. Its simple to use also. I have been using it since it first came out. Also, you have to remember that when a new OS comes out, they add more toys to it and tweek it so it will be much faster and thus it will use more battery. Is your battery replaceable or built in? I had the galaxy s6 and downgraded to the LG Stylo because of the built in battery. If your battery is replaceable, you might want to try that also.

Feedback Score
    BetterBatteryStats, not free and does have a learning curve but totally digs into all the details you might want to know. Highly recommended

Device(s)
    galaxy s6 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    quality assurance manager
    Feedback Score
    I use BetterBatteryStats as well. It seems very reliable to me.

Feedback Score
    Well Android System has a disadvantage itself - it uses the battery all the time, even when you charge it. As it was said, try Battery Doctor/ It is useful and easy to use.

Feedback Score
    google have to work on the next android to sinificatively improve the autonomy

Feedback Score

I also use Battery doctor. it is free and convenient to use.

Quote Originally Posted by gene1126 View Post
    I prefer Battery Doctor because it is very accurate and its free. Its simple to use also. I have been using it since it first came out. Also, you have to remember that when a new OS comes out, they add more toys to it and tweek it so it will be much faster and thus it will use more battery. Is your battery replaceable or built in? I had the galaxy s6 and downgraded to the LG Stylo because of the built in battery. If your battery is replaceable, you might want to try that also.
    I also use Battery doctor. it is free and convenient to use.