Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Cellular, can I switch phones without hassle?

Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score

Consumer Cellular, can I switch phones without hassle?

Hi, quick question for those with CC. I'm thinking of porting over to them.

I tend to switch up phones when deals show up, so I wanted confirm that there'd be no problem just swapping the sim card into a different att or unlocked phone then the one I started the account with?

I can't remember if I read it about CC or if it was a different MVNO that they tie the account with the phone and you'd need to change account settings with a phone change...

thank you

Feedback Score
    I think that would be a metro pcs on tmobile. No such problem with any AT&T provider as far as I know. There is the APN issue though, and as wonderful as their customer service is, they do not have a broad range of experience with lots of different LTE devices in the Android world, so if you run into that come here for example APNs to try, there are several threads at the moment to Google first if you like. Consumer is really up on their iPhone stuff so.
    Also when you sign up make sure to specify that you want AT&T sim, they are now also selling T Mobile service.

Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    I think that would be a metro pcs on tmobile. No such problem with any AT&T provider as far as I know. There is the APN issue though, and as wonderful as their customer service is, they do not have a broad range of experience with lots of different LTE devices in the Android world, so if you run into that come here for example APNs to try, there are several threads at the moment to Google first if you like. Consumer is really up on their iPhone stuff so.
    Also when you sign up make sure to specify that you want AT&T sim, they are now also selling T Mobile service.
    thank you for the response.

I saw the following settings at prepaidphonenews

Name - Consumer Cellular
    APN - ccdata (no user id or password)
    Proxy IP Address: (leave blank)
    Proxy Port: (leave blank)
    MMSC URL - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy Address: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy Port: 80
    I'll try to search for the issue you are talking about. I will make sure to request an AT&T sim. Most of the phones would be Android but I wouldn't mind an iphone either.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Should be no problem, but for best results you might want to give them the IMEI number of your phone to make sure LTE is functioning to the fullest. I had an issue with that when I first activated. I haven't switched phones since, so it might have been a one time thing.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 (2013)
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I gave Consumer Cellular the IMEI for the new Nexus 5 that I got late last year.

When I got my wife’s Nexus 5 a few weeks later, I didn’t give them the IMEI for that device and it worked right away (including LTE) by just giving Consumer Cellular the code printed on the SIM package that I purchased at Target.

So, you might have to give them the IMEI the first time around and/or ask them to provision LTE for your account and then presumably you’ll have the flexibility to change devices by just moving the SIM going forward.

Feedback Score
    I bought a CS SIM card at Sears, put it in a used AT&T phone, and it worked. Then I put the SIM card in a Galaxy S4 Verizon phone and it worked (HSPA+ only, no 4G LTE). I found the APN settings on the web.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I think them setting something in the system may be more important when you are changing to a very different phone. I suspect their defaults will always be iPhone

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by beatniks3 View Post
    Hi, quick question for those with CC. I'm thinking of porting over to them.

I tend to switch up phones when deals show up, so I wanted confirm that there'd be no problem just swapping the sim card into a different att or unlocked phone then the one I started the account with?

I can't remember if I read it about CC or if it was a different MVNO that they tie the account with the phone and you'd need to change account settings with a phone change...

thank you
    No issue.

You may need to edit the APN data, but often not. When I switched back to CC after a brief time on T-Mobile (because of foreign travel), the APN stuff was automatically updated when I put in the SIM card, but the first time I was on CC I had to enter it manually.

Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    update:

I helped my aunt port her number from att to consumer cellular using a sim packet from target and after speaking with the CC support people I'm very impressed...I can see why they are ranked so high for customer satisfaction, great phone support.

after speaking with them, I see no issues if I had to call them for swapping phones.

I'll probably try to port my number in before the 31st to get their $20 promotional.

Feedback Score
    update:

I helped my aunt port her number from att to consumer cellular using a sim packet from target and after speaking with the CC support people I'm very impressed...I can see why they are ranked so high for customer satisfaction, great phone support.
    isn't it though? So often when I rave about what a great company this is, those with an axe to grind end up having to say that this isn't important to them at all. And of course some just don't want to spend that little bit extra, but for me it really is a pleasure dealing with them.

Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    it's funny, I didn't tear the sim card packaging open enough to show the code and the link to start the process online. I wasn't seeing it from the CC website (how to start with retail package sim card) so I decided to do it by phone. They helped from start from finish including testing post-port, which happened in a manner of seconds...

There was something wrong with the code in the packaging so the CC support woman got help with it in the background. She talked with my aunt when she had to talk to her as account holder and let me do the rest. I explained that I was also planning on joining when she asked if anyone referred us and she educated me on the referral program. She was incredibly easy to understand. I think we have all had our tech support calls that were made more difficult by one party not being able to understand the other throughout the call.

My aunt is paying about $24 a month with AARP. That's perfect for her usage. For people with limited use their plans are pretty competitive IMO in addition to the CC plus ie roaming and this great support.

Feedback Score
    As long as you and your aunt get along very well, it will only cost $10 to add your line to her account and you can share the pools

Feedback Score
    My aunt is paying about $24 a month with AARP. That's perfect for her usage. For people with limited use their plans are pretty competitive IMO in addition to the CC plus ie roaming and this great support.
    How much AARP discount you can get with Consumer Cellular and what i need to do to get it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dastin11 View Post
    How much AARP discount you can get with Consumer Cellular and what i need to do to get it?
    You get 5% discount for monthly plan fees, 30% discount on select accessories you can check the Consumer Cellular AARP if you need more information.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jecko View Post
    You get 5% discount for monthly plan fees, 30% discount on select accessories you can check the Consumer Cellular AARP if you need more information.
    Thanks for your replay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast