Thread: Getting free data faster on the Karma Refuel plan than I am using it

Device(s)
    Moto Z4, ZTE Z232, SkyRoam, Isatphone 2.1, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    Vz/Visible,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score

Getting free data faster on the Karma Refuel plan than I am using it

This is interesting.

I got a Karma Go LTE device a few months ago, and am actually earning data faster than I'm using it.

It's on the pay as you go refuel plan.

Each time someone new uses an open port on the device, both they and myself get 100 mb of free credits.

Since I use my AT&T postpaid mifi device at home (rural area with AT&T/Vz only on 2 local towers; Sprint and Tmo on more distant towers), I don't use Karma or FreedomPop (both Sprint) unless I'm away from the house.

There's a choice of 4 preset SSID's on the Karma device and I set it to the one that says "Free WiFi by Karma".

I often use it in airports and when there's no public wifi or the public wifi is slow, unreliable or just plain not working. In which case, my Karma device becomes rather popular. Also great in a hotel when the wifi gets flaky or zaps out.

Took it with me to St. Croix over the last week. Nobody else used it in airports on the way down or at the place I stayed. But on the way back, one other person used it in STX (was waiting for a commuter flight and there was no free wifi in the commuter waiting area), eleven people in STT while I was waiting for a delayed flight back to the mainland(public wifi didn't work; it only asked for a zip code and then froze up), and one person while I was waiting for a delayed flight in PHL.

The heavy guest usage in STT meant at some times all 8 ports were actually maxed out (first time I've actually seen that). The mifi device did slow down the connection for me when that happened, but it still was usable. Did get a bit warm though.

Bottom line is I gained 1.3 gb in data on my trip but only used about a third of a gigabyte on the Karma device. Since the data doesn't expire (at least as long as Karma keeps on going) it's a good deal to me. Bought 40 gb of data from them during their double data promotions, but right now I'm at 41 gb (more than what I bought). I like math like that.

Feedback Score
    Definitely can't argue with math like that!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My girlfriend, knowing I was interested in a Karma Go, bought me one for Christmas.

On our holiday trip last weekend picked up 300mb in free data, still have 10GB on the account.

I noticed 20GB is $99 or $4.95 per GB, no taxes or fees no expiration.

Feedback Score
    Man that's great if only somebody could do something like this on one of the duopoly networks

Device(s)
    Galaxy Stardust, LG Sunrise, Hydro Vibe
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, RingPlus, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Man that's great if only somebody could do something like this on one of the duopoly networks
    Competitive networks can charge more for access and wholesale. On the other hand, Sprint is a cheap whore.

If a reseller is looking for margins and room to innovate, then it's a matter of course which one they'd choose.

It'd probably take bigger wigs and deeper pockets to accomplish the same thing for tighter margings on the duopoly, but why even bother if Sprint's the only one who showed up to the price war?

Feedback Score
    exactly WHERE are you seeing 20GB for $99. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    My girlfriend, knowing I was interested in a Karma Go, bought me one for Christmas.

On our holiday trip last weekend picked up 300mb in free data, still have 10GB on the account.

I noticed 20GB is $99 or $4.95 per GB, no taxes or fees no expiration.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    A little googling revealed a review on Amazon mentioning a "Buy 1 Get 1" sale where 20GB were going for $100. It's a pretty good deal.

That $50/5mpbs deal isn't bad either...as long as you're fine with DSL from yesterdecade.

It's just a shame they're not offering unlimited unthrottled data ala Metro.

Since mobile internet is eventually going to be the future, they're passing up a golden opportunity to shore up their potential customer base, bust wired monopolies in Sprint coverage areas and position themselves as a major player before everyone else hops on the bandwagon, eats their lunch and shoves them in a locker.

They could even do it right now with just 12 mbps.

Sadly, Karma's anemic subscription data speed and die-hard inability to let go of paygo are keeping it a niche hotspot product rather than a competitive industry trendsetter.

It's almost like they don't even want people's money.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier, Karma offers double data. I've often read about this offering on the data but never actually saw it until I had a Karma Go account.

Feedback Score
    Not seeing this on their website. is this an expired promotion or something?

Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier, Karma offers double data. I've often read about this offering on the data but never actually saw it until I had a Karma Go account.

Feedback Score
    So this uses the Sprint network? I read that, just want confirmation. The unit itself is listed at $149. Is there a deal for less?

Thanks.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Good2Go (AT&T) UTT recurring {12*26} $13.38 otd/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 07.08.20

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    So this uses the Sprint network? I read that, just want confirmation. The unit itself is listed at $149. Is there a deal for less?
    There were some on eBay for around $80 but they're gone now.

There was a $50 off during Black Friday deal earlier, and now there are $10 off coupons supposedly floating around.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The $10 referral coupon codes can be given by any Karma subscriber. This gives the new subscriber $10 off and the existing subscriber a $10 credit on their account. Plenty of them posted on the Karma blog (or PM me if you need a coupon code link; don't want to post it on the forum since it might violate HoFo posting guidelines).

Though if you can wait, the best deal will be if and when they have another hotspot sale. Maybe they will repeat the fifty bucks off deal they had for Black Friday over some holiday (maybe valentines day, mother's day or father's day?). Since most providers make money off the service rather than the equipment, I suspect they will eventually repeat this sale. Plus you might be able to use the referral coupon code to boost the discount to $60 off.

Like Karma for the ease of use, small hotspot size, no extra charge fallback to slower data standards if LTE not available, the share data and be rewarded aspect without giving people access to your personal data allotment, and no expiration date on the Refuel pay-as-you-go plan.

On the Neverstop data speeds, I guess they throttle that to 5 mbps so cell sites don't get overloaded by too many people on unlimited plans. They don't throttle Refuel pay as you go customers, and customers can switch between the two plans if they need to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
    ....Each time someone new uses an open port on the device, both they and myself get 100 mb of free credits.....
    I don't understand how this happens. Who gets to connect, other Karma users, anyone/everyone?

Edit found it:

"How does sharing work?
    Karma Go uses open WiFi, which means anyone around you can connect and get online. If you’re on Refuel, you get 100MB free for each new person that connects to your Karma Go. If you’re subscribed to Neverstop, you get $1 in credits added to your account. Each person connecting only uses your Karma Go to get internet from us, not from you. Their connection is isolated from yours and they use their own data only."

Can you rename 1,2,3 or all 4 SSID's as many times as you want?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I don't understand how this happens. Who gets to connect, other Karma users, anyone/everyone?
    Anyone/Everyone who has or gets a Karma password/username can connect.

There are 8 user ports on the Karma Go LTE device. The device owner logs into ports they need through a web interface with a username/password. Anyone else can log into the other ports on their own dime. If they are a new Karma user, the device owner and the guest each get a 100 mb free credit (this is for the Refuel pay as you go plan I am on; it's a little different on the NeverStop unlimited plan). If the guest already has a Karma account, they just use their existing credentials and remaining data credits (Refuel data never expires).

Nice because it lets a guest who's cell data allotment for the month is tapped out, has a wifi only device(e.g. some wifi only Kindles, laptops or tablets), or is a foreign visitor with high roaming rates get access to some free data. If they want more than the 100 mb they can purchase data credits from Karma online (and/or buy their own Karma device).

Feedback Score
    On the Karma website found can rename the SSID's to:

Free Karma by (Your Name)
    (Your Name's) Karma
    Free Wi-Fi by Karma

These can easily be changed from your dashboard at any time.

Darn. I would've renamed it Starbucks, McDonald's etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast