Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best 3g flip phone for senior citizen.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk at&t e-71 sim
    Feedback Score

Best 3g flip phone for senior citizen.

What is the best widely available, (e.g. Family Dollar, Dollar General, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy,) flip phone for a senior on a bundled home and cellular plan with no data. I'm looking for something with more connectivity options for voice.
    Sent from my HTC One X+

Feedback Score
    What carrier are you useing?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My 79 year old widowed father-in-law is on a bundled home and cell plan with AT&T. He is getting to where he should be in assisted living, but won't go. He just got out of a nursing home and was supposed to live with his sister for a couple of weeks, now it has been a month. When I dropped him back with her this evening I noticed his flip phone on the charger had a battery that was shaped like an egg. Twice the size of a regular battery, and the back was cracked. I told him to unplug it and take the battery out because it could burn down her trailer. I said, "Have either of you seen Sodium burning in water? This lithium battery will do the same thing." Of course I don't really expect my aunt Ruth to fully understand that. When Russia invaded Georgia, I heard her and Cowboy Bob talking at the bar. This is the funniest **** you will ever hear. "Well I guess we can't go to Atlanta anymore." As if there wouldn't be air raid sirens going off and general mayhem. Nope. We're just sitting here gettin' sloshed while the Russians invade the East Coast.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Really any flip phone will do. What features are you exactly looking for other than the ability to call others, caller ID, and voicemail? I can search for one that has all of those features, and Samsung basic phones generally have a lot of calling features. And I know you're bundled with the home plan, but would it kill you to look into AT&T MVNO's? They're far cheaper, especially for senior citizens :P.

Feedback Score
    For simplicity if saving money every month is not important, you want to keep them on their existing service and just replace the phone. AT&T will let you BYOP, any device that is branded AT&T or go phone will work just fine, from the AT&T store or from the retail outlets doesn't matter.

or one labeled GSM unlocked would be fine, pick up a normal one on ebay for 10 or $15 or spend $100 or more on a very rugged durable unit designed for construction workers out of the field.

If you want to change the service, don't bother looking for another bundle offer contract, just cancel the phone part of the AT&T service and sign up with an MVNO. But that will be more complicated and you will likely have to stay on top of things to help them out

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just need to look for a flip phone, with a bigger screen maybe, that does all the voice bands on AT&T. I just want to pop the SIM out of the broken phone and be done with it. He wants a phone with a screen, in other words a smart phone. His plan doesn't include any data. He kept asking me, "Can I just go by the AT&T store?" Sure, if you want to end up with an iPhone you can't use and a multi hundred dollar bill every month.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mirayge View Post
    I just need to look for a flip phone, with a bigger screen maybe, that does all the voice bands on AT&T. I just want to pop the SIM out of the broken phone and be done with it. He wants a phone with a screen, in other words a smart phone. His plan doesn't include any data. He kept asking me, "Can I just go by the AT&T store?" Sure, if you want to end up with an iPhone you can't use and a multi hundred dollar bill every month.
    Can I suggest the Samsung rugby 4?

https://m.att.com/shopmobile/cellpho...g/rugby-4.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mirayge View Post
    Flip phone and smartphone are mutually exclusive, smart phone means Android is not iPhone, or maybe Windows Phone, none of those come in a flip format. Battery life is way lower, things get a lot more complicated and when you're away from Wi-Fi he will probably end up wanting some data requiring a more expensive plan.

The Samsung device suggested above is a good choice because it is very rugged durable against mistreatment, but a lot more expensive than what you need to pay for a feature phone.

Go to a big box retail store and look at the GoPhone section, you can also do the same at AT&T store without having to sign up for any service just buy the hardware by itself.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The Samsung Rugby series looks like a contender. I'm probably going to end up advising him to get the first 3g feature phone we see.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok, so the best phone I can think of that has "a screen" is a Moto E. It's very cheap for what you get, and although it has features your senior wouldn't use, it also has features your senior would use. If 3G is a requirement (Like, if you can't put it in a 4g lte phone) Just get the 3g version of the moto E. It doesn't matter what version of the moto e you get since the features of the newer variant probably don't matter to him, just make sure it's a "GSM Unlocked" phone, so it will work with all the AT&T, T-Mobile, and various other bands and frequencies.

Feedback Score
    Those moto don't have band 12. T-mobile is actually irrelevant for the thread but just saying
    Last edited by HansCT; 12-26-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Are there any LTE capable flips out there compatible with AT&T? I would think AT&T would rather get people on VoLTE and would work with manufacturers to make this happen?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    Are there any LTE capable flips out there compatible with AT&T? I would think AT&T would rather get people on VoLTE and would work with manufacturers to make this happen?
    Probably will be eventually none that I've heard of so far

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansCT View Post
    Probably will be eventually none that I've heard of so far
    Incredibly helpful answer.
    Thanks!!!!

Sent from my Wonderful LG Optimus L90

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    >Those moto don't have band 12. T-mobile is actually irrelevant for the thread but just saying

The AT&T Moto E *does* have all the ATT bands ; the Black Friday Verizon Moto E s do not.

That said, looked at Best Buy today, the Verizon Moto E was $69. (as was the Sprint) and as was the ATT Moto E. Permit me to recommend the (ATT) ZTE Mavin which is a competitor to the Moto E and was $29 today at Best Buy. Watching for sales, all these phones can be had for $35-$45.
    Regards, FJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast