Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: thinking of moving to cricket

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    165
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0

    thinking of moving to cricket

    So I've been with Virgin Mobile for like 8+ years, currently have 2 $25/mo ZTE Awe's & 2 $35/mo S3's

    I'm mostly happy; but the awe's are getting way outdated & need replacing; so that means they'd have to go to $35 plans too, plus cost of new phones.

    So with the 'family' plan of $100/mo for 4 phones would be cheaper.

    With the current porting promo's looks like I can get $30 galaxy primes, which seems to be on par with the S3, 8M camera.

    But looks like a $25/ea activation fee.

    Is the $100 credit per account, or #? ie would I get $400 credits for 4 lines. How would the credit work with an autopay setup?

    Any other tips/tricks to get started as cheap as possible.

    any thoughts on the Idol 3?

    any ways to get better phones cheaper? (S5, S6, etc?)
    Alcatel idol 3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Gladys, VA
    Posts
    215
    Device(s)
    6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
    .....................But looks like a $25/ea activation fee. ...............
    If you activate online there is no activation fee.
    ----
    Joe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    165
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    How do I do that? Can I buy the phone in store, get the porting credit & activate at home?

    If I order online, how do I add multiple phones for the family plann/add-on discount?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    13,768
    Feedback Score
    0
    Don't have anything to do with a brick and mortar store. Any AT&T branded phone including GoPhone, plus all the unlocked GSM phones out there will be perfectly fine, Amazon Best Buy eBay wherever you find good deals on phones.
    Get your Sims at Walmart or order them from Amazon. Call the phone number or go online to activate

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Gladys, VA
    Posts
    215
    Device(s)
    6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
    How do I do that? Can I buy the phone in store, get the porting credit & activate at home?

    If I order online, how do I add multiple phones for the family plann/add-on discount?
    Any unlocked AT&T GSM phone should work. You can purchase directly from Cricket, Target, Walmart, or where ever. If you order directly off the Cricket website you will create an account at the same time and can add other lines through your account. It's pretty easy to order, create account, port, then activate all online. Do it online and save the $25 activation fee per line.

    When I ordered a phone off the Cricket site for my son it said 2 day shipping but I received it next day. Same next day shipping happened for my two SIM cards I ordered back to back......I was a happy camper.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    165
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    thanks, and sorry to sound so stupid; but just search "unlocked gsm" or what? (All I've done for years is buy a phone off virgin.com & swap esn#)

    any better deals than the ones currently on at cricket w/port?
    Samsung prime (8mp cam) $30 after instant port credit
    LG G stylo $50 after credit
    Moto E = free after credit
    I think the manager guy at the store said he'd sell me the Idol 3 for $99 vs $149

    I want better camera 8M or better, no need for selfie camera. I like my S3; but it's getting slow, even after factory reset (Virgin so can't take it over)


    PS I want to take a trip to Belize; already asked & cricket won't work there (according to chat rep); any suggestions for a temp phone that will work?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,996
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
    thanks, and sorry to sound so stupid; but just search "unlocked gsm" or what? (All I've done for years is buy a phone off virgin.com & swap esn#)

    any better deals than the ones currently on at cricket w/port?
    Samsung prime (8mp cam) $30 after instant port credit
    LG G stylo $50 after credit
    Moto E = free after credit
    I think the manager guy at the store said he'd sell me the Idol 3 for $99 vs $149

    I want better camera 8M or better, no need for selfie camera. I like my S3; but it's getting slow, even after factory reset (Virgin so can't take it over)


    PS I want to take a trip to Belize; already asked & cricket won't work there (according to chat rep); any suggestions for a temp phone that will work?
    Buy one at the airport when you land.

    If you get an unlocked phone with the correct bands you can just buy a SIM when you land as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,153
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    5th line is free (5 lines for $100) so I would transfer another line as well -- you can grab another cheap/free phone and an extra $100 switch credit ($500 credit for 5 lines). TMobile website has 99 cent prepaid SIM kits -- buy & activate that without adding any money so you have another line to port over

    Grab a referral from someone -- that's another $25 credit in a few months

    With GSM service (Cricket/AT&T/TMo) the phone service is tied to the SIM card so you can switch phones as you like as long as the phone is compatible and it uses the same size SIM card. Cricket phones are locked to Cricket service only so you have to unlock it to use it on other GSM carriers. Once you unlock a Cricket phone then you can buy a local SIM+service when traveling out of the country

    Cricket's policy is 6 months of service to get unlock code, but some Cricket phones have unlock codes on eBay that you can buy (there's no guarantee that the unlock code will be available). I was able to unlock the Moto E and LG Risio without a problem. Have a Grand Prime, but haven't bought an unlock code for it (don't want to pay $12 at the moment)

    Cricket website doesn't support ordering group lines together so:
    Option A) Order one line, wait for it to come in the mail, activate it, setup online account and add 2nd line using your account, wait for it, activate it and then order the next line and so on -- doing it one at a time will take longer, but you get group pricing upfront
    Option B) Order each line separately and pay $40/line upfront. After they come in the mail then contact Cric CS to merge them into a single group account (extra amount paid upfront will be applied as credit for future billing) -- this will be faster, but you'll prepay more money upfront
    Option C) Negotiate the $25/line activation fee at local indep stores in your area -- see if you can find a store willing to waive or lower the fee for multiple group lines

    If you order online then you have to submit port info when ordering (make sure account number and account PIN are correct to avoid problems) -- Cricket will send a pending port request to old carrier but the actual port wont complete until you finish activation after getting it in the mail

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    165
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    So how's coverage?

    With VM, they use Sprint's network; but apparently only the 'digital' portion, or something like that; so for example I go into a hospital; I lose coverage once I get so far inside, or not near a window.

    Is Cricket the same way? Only using part of the signal? Will it vary greatly by phone model?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,153
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    MVNO -- they basically resell service from big network carriers (AT&T/TMo/Verizon/Sprint)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile...twork_operator
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...work_operators

    Cricket is owned by AT&T so you get to use AT&T's native coverage (no roaming) -- AT&T has a lot better native coverage than VM/Sprint

    Check your area for coverage: https://www.cricketwireless.com/map.html

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,291
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
    So how's coverage?

    With VM, they use Sprint's network; but apparently only the 'digital' portion, or something like that; so for example I go into a hospital; I lose coverage once I get so far inside, or not near a window.

    Is Cricket the same way? Only using part of the signal? Will it vary greatly by phone model?
    Cricket's coverage is far superior to Sprints (basically same as AT&T)

    And yes, signal can vary greatly based on phone model.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
    So how's coverage?

    With VM, they use Sprint's network; but apparently only the 'digital' portion, or something like that; so for example I go into a hospital; I lose coverage once I get so far inside, or not near a window.

    Is Cricket the same way? Only using part of the signal? Will it vary greatly by phone model?
    I'm not certain but I think any carrier may lose signal in a hospital. It happened to me too, but at the time I was using Sprint and Boost Mobile.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,992
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JaTaN View Post
    5th line is free (5 lines for $100) so I would transfer another line as well -- you can grab another cheap/free phone and an extra $100 switch credit ($500 credit for 5 lines). TMobile website has 99 cent prepaid SIM kits -- buy & activate that without adding any money so you have another line to port over

    It would be much easier for this user to port the 4 lines, start a new VM line with one of the VM phones, and port that. It is free, as you won't have to buy a sim or fund the account.

    Make sure to cancel the fifth line before the March payment when it is no longer free.
    Last edited by JDubTrey; 12-27-2015 at 05:00 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,992
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Of Jatan's options above, I did B. I would have had to pay that extra money in the second month anyway so I essentially just paid that second month upfront.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    165
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubTrey View Post
    It would be much easier for this user to port the 4 lines, start a new VM line with one of the VM phones, and port that. It is free, as you won't have to buy a sim or fund the account.

    Make sure to cancel the account before the March payment when it is no longer free.
    I have spare VM phones, trying to see the advantage of a 5th line (only 4 people)

    buy a 'free' phone and then sell on ebay?
    so the $100 port credit is per line/# I port not just 1 for all lines into 1 account?
    is the credit transferable to the other #'s I port in? otherwise whats the point?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking of Moving to Houston, TX
    By ace587 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 12:31 AM
  2. Thinking of moving to t-mobile?
    By bjh_101 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 03:02 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 12:33 AM
  4. Thinking of moving to T-mobile go to........
    By kcsport in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 01:03 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 08:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks