Thread: With BYOD - Can I cancel a simple choice plan after the first month?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb With BYOD - Can I cancel a simple choice plan after the first month?

I'm traveling in Europe for about 2-3 weeks soon. Currently I'm with AT&T so I think my only option with them is their passport plans.

My phone is unlocked, so I was thinking of doing this - Sign up for T-Mobile Simple Choice with bring your own device - (not porting my number from AT&T) use it during the trip (I understand the international data is included on the simple choice plans) and then cancel it after I get back home. I would have the plan for one month only.

Am I missing anything here? It seems like this should work, but am afraid I could be overlooking something.

I know there's the option of a local sim but I'll be in up to 3 countries so might need to get a separate one in each place.

Thanks in advance,

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You will have a credit check done just for a month or so. Not worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure of which specific countries are involved but Europe is fast becoming a single market for mobile carrier services. I don't think they've necessarily implemented it yet but they did eliminate all roaming fees within the community at least at the legislation stage. You should probably with a bit of research - get in touch with the people you're visiting - be able to identify a local provider that will cover more than one country you are visiting at a reasonable price.

Or if your credit rating is so solid or you otherwise don't care, you certainly can do it you're talking about with tmobile. One person even reported scamming them with their network coverage guarantee program for a trip, but I would think they would have gotten wise to that pretty quickly.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

With BYOD - Can I cancel a simple choice plan after the first month?

The three.co.uk sim is great for unlimited data at 20 pounds or $30 for 30 days. 18 countries included in the feel at home no roaming fees. You'll get fast 4G data or 3G as opposed to the super slow 2G on simple. If you have time buy a sim off eBay with the 20 pound plan and insert your sim when you land. You could even use the data in the US.

We used in England, France, Italy and Spain with no issues.

Note: unlimited UK data and 12gb in the 18 countries.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition 32GB 2015
    Carrier(s)
    ex Verizon Wireless - Currently: T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You will pay less in all those 3 countries then you would pay for entire month of tmobile service for sure with US dollars service in Europe is mad cheap

Fios 1024/1024

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    You could even sign up for new service, buying a high-end phone through JUMP! On Demand. Then within 30 days, return everything invoking their "Lifetime Coverage Guarantee" and they are supposed to cheerfully refund everything (except maybe international charges). You won't even have to pay for the month's service. I'd leave their phone in a safe place, to make sure it wasn't lost, stolen or damaged while traveling.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    (in case other people are looking as well)

as blacksurfer and others say, if you're just traveling within Europe, prepaid Sims are way cheaper and can cover a lot of countries within europe

If you are traveling to other countries as well (and one prepaid SIM won't cover all of them), I'd suggest looking at Google Fi too (avoids the credit pull on t-mobile, $20 + $10/GB at 128kbps + $ per voice call). might require a nexus phone too (people suggest that you can activate and use a google fi sim on a non-nexus phone)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    The three.co.uk sim is great for unlimited data at 20 pounds or $30 for 30 days. 18 countries included in the feel at home no roaming fees. You'll get fast 4G data or 3G as opposed to the super slow 2G on simple. If you have time buy a sim off eBay with the 20 pound plan and insert your sim when you land. You could even use the data in the US.

We used in England, France, Italy and Spain with no issues.

Note: unlimited UK data and 12gb in the 18 countries.
    Thanks for the response, this sounds perfect for me. Only doubt I have is - I found a seller on ebay but it doesn't mention about the 20 pound plan. Seems to be the sim card only, with no plan. Is there a particular seller on ebay that you used for this?
    Thanks again!

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

You can top up at uksims.eu
    with PayPal as three co won't take US credit card. See the next thread below. Best to buy with the eBay link with 20 pounds. Also when you enter your voucher make sure the seller know you want the unlimited data plan or if gives you code stay online the line to choose unlimited plan.

Note: turn roaming on and the apn auto sets on smartphone and iPhones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score

Look at this on eBay:

ebay.com/ulk/itm/201350730061

Three UK SIM Card with £20 Credit (Official Trio SIM for all phones)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Look at this on eBay:

ebay.com/ulk/itm/201350730061

Three UK SIM Card with £20 Credit (Official Trio SIM for all phones)
    Order placed. Thanks so much, you rock!!