Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2016 US AT&T Network Predictions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Why do we need to worry about GSM shutdown again? it should be a celebration if anything!

Granted <3 good ol GSM, but HSPA is the new GSM.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    IDK some people worry too much when they need to get a new flip for those not wanting a Smartphone or a new phone, I'm not worried, I got my brother a HSPA 3G flip phone for AT&T. there's still a while for people to upgrade there phones before there old flip phones don't work anymore. The sooner people upgrade the better.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by One Direction View Post
    IDK some people worry too much when they need to get a new flip for those not wanting a Smartphone or a new phone, I'm not worried, I got my brother a HSPA 3G flip phone for AT&T. there's still a while for people to upgrade there phones before there old flip phones don't work anymore. The sooner people upgrade the better.
    IDK how anyone could even use 2G in my area still, that network has been trash since 2009 since they refarmed most of its spectrum, that sent call quality in the toilet. When that gets turned off - good riddance!

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They need to work on their coverage and backhaul up here in Mendocino County in rural Northwestern California, T-Mobile has really been showing them up. Just an example, we went up to Willits (about 14 miles north of us in Redwood Valley) on Christmas to Lumberjacks for dinner, and to my surprise I had better coverage on US 101 and solid LTE the entire way with T-Mobile, AT&T dropped to HSPA in several spots, and coverage was actually worse, what a change from just a few months ago! Even in Ukiah and Redwood Valley, AT&T speeds have tanked, especially during peak hours, and this is a very rural area. AT&T can't rest on their laurels, but that's what they have been doing.

That said, we do have VoLTE and HD Voice from them up here now, so that's one bright spot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Why do we need to worry about GSM shutdown again? it should be a celebration if anything!

They can shut it down tonight for all I care. I'm barely ever on it anyways.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Do you remember the uproar and moaning here on HoFo when the carriers decided to shut down the AMPS network? You would've thought it was the end of the world. People were threatening to boycott carrier X or to resort back to a tin can and string.

I'm glad AT&T is taking the lead on this here in the US. I've always been hard on them for not taking the lead on anything and I give them credit here.

The truth is that the 2G sunset is already in progress. Legacy networks are being shut down everyday. AT&T published a date to make consumers aware of the inevitable.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    I want to see how fast band 30 would be. Its good for capacity
    Me too. AT&T will be in a position where they have "newer," greenfield spectrum deployed that is less crowded and that should help them regain some of the regional speed wars.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    They need to work on their coverage and backhaul up here in Mendocino County in rural Northwestern California, T-Mobile has really been showing them up. Just an example, we went up to Willits (about 14 miles north of us in Redwood Valley) on Christmas to Lumberjacks for dinner, and to my surprise I had better coverage on US 101 and solid LTE the entire way with T-Mobile, AT&T dropped to HSPA in several spots, and coverage was actually worse, what a change from just a few months ago! Even in Ukiah and Redwood Valley, AT&T speeds have tanked, especially during peak hours, and this is a very rural area. AT&T can't rest on their laurels, but that's what they have been doing.

That said, we do have VoLTE and HD Voice from them up here now, so that's one bright spot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. There are rural mountainous areas of SoCal that AT&T has neglected for years doing only the bare minimum and now T-Mobile has eclipsed them in both coverage and technology choice LTE > HSPA. I think it's time AT&T engineers go back and start backfilling these underserved areas by colocating and bringing up new backhaul as needed.
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 12-28-2015 at 11:46 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    I believe the 2g shutdown is for consumer services, not m2m. Frequencies like the 850mhz band have a small slice that can't be used for LTE or hspa but can still be used for M2M devices on 2G.
    AT&T claims it's for both. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...201/2014-07-16

"Khan said that AT&T continues to work with its 2G M2M customers to get them to upgrade their devices to HSPA and LTE in advance of the carrier's 2016 shutdown date. Khan declined to provide figures around AT&T's retention rate for its 2G customers, saying only that the carrier is moving along as expected.

AT&T counts around 17 million M2M customers across its 2G, 3G and 4G networks. And though he wouldn't provide the exact number of M2M customers that are on AT&T's 2G network, he said that "a large number of those are on 2G."

AT&T has taken down their 2G Network Shutdown page that I posted here back in May of 2013: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...twork-Shutdown

Do you think AT&T doesn't have enough 850 MHz cellular spectrum in certain markets to re-use it for LTE?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    in line with when Verizon wants to kill CDMA.
    Actually, originally they said 2021, but now they're saying they're keeping CDMA on "for the foreseeable future".

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    Do you remember the uproar and moaning here on HoFo when the carriers decided to shut down the AMPS network? You would've thought it was the end of the world. People were threatening to boycott carrier X or to resort back to a tin can and string.
    It did cut out some coverage, some of which still hasn't been replaced. They should have been required to match the analog coverage, but they somehow got away with leaving some areas out in the cold.

I'm thankful we have an active and thriving highway call box program up here in Mendocino County, and some of them are even satellite powered now, we were actually one of the first counties to put up satellite call boxes.

http://www.mendocinocog.org/pdf/Mend...es-Feb2014.PDF

http://www.mendocinocog.org/pdf/News...2014-01-17.pdf

"While some urban areas have been removing their call boxes, instead using funding for roving
    tow trucks and other traffic management services on state highways, rural agencies such as
    Mendocino SAFE still experience a demand for call box services on remote highways. The
    proliferation of cell phone usage is well known; however significant gaps in coverage are expected to
    remain in rural Mendocino County. Call box deployment may be most valuable in those areas."

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I want more speed on LTE, and for them to fill LTE coverage gaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoDough View Post
    You have been trying for 5 years to work for AT&T? Are you retarded?

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7, iPhone 6+, Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    Do you think AT&T doesn't have enough 850 MHz cellular spectrum in certain markets to re-use it for LTE?
    There's plenty of 850Mhz for LTE - the band has 25Mhz of bandwidth for each side (A and B). They could do 10x10 and 5Mhz for the old 2G technologies.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I also would like to see band 2 go "wideband". It can be done by simply shutting off the last HSPA band 2 carrier which we don't seem to need anyway as that network is always a ghost town anymore. 2 HSPA carriers on 850 ought to cut it these days. And perhaps for 2017 or '18 refarm one of the HSPA 850 carriers and bring on 5 MHz band 5.
    That makes sense. HSPA+ is completely off PCS/Band 2 in Philadelphia and luckily we have a large continuous chunk of PCS to allow for wideband. Surprisingly I get band 2 even deeply inside buildings so it is a great asset in their spectrum portfolio around here. We did get to wideband 15x15, but it somehow only helped speeds for 1-2 months. Clearly major backhaul upgrades better be on the way. Otherwise they can continue to add AWS and WCS and it won't make a difference.

I definitely think 5x5 Band 5 is coming and will roll out in areas in 2016. If they can carrier aggregate on Band 5 and 17, that will be a nice upgrade for more rural areas. How much spectrum does each HSPA+ carrier take up? HSPA+ is a godsend in certain areas even in urban areas so I really don't want them messing with Band 5 too much right now. For example at my desk right now, LTE is 760kbps but HSPA+ comes in around 1.5-3mbps. Since at&t supposedly has the least amount of dropped calls I hope a 5x5 chunk of Band 5 won't mess with that, but of course eventually moving towards 10x10 makes sense.

Densification, across all 4 major networks, needs to continue to happen regardless of spectrum IMO.
    AT&T: 2003 (gophone) & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Cingular: 2003-2006
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2003 & 2011-2013

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    HSPA(+) Requires a minimum of 5x5mhz of spectrum.

iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    That makes sense. HSPA+ is completely off PCS/Band 2 in Philadelphia and luckily we have a large continuous chunk of PCS to allow for wideband. Surprisingly I get band 2 even deeply inside buildings so it is a great asset in their spectrum portfolio around here. We did get to wideband 15x15, but it somehow only helped speeds for 1-2 months. Clearly major backhaul upgrades better be on the way. Otherwise they can continue to add AWS and WCS and it won't make a difference.

I definitely think 5x5 Band 5 is coming and will roll out in areas in 2016. If they can carrier aggregate on Band 5 and 17, that will be a nice upgrade for more rural areas. How much spectrum does each HSPA+ carrier take up? HSPA+ is a godsend in certain areas even in urban areas so I really don't want them messing with Band 5 too much right now. For example at my desk right now, LTE is 760kbps but HSPA+ comes in around 1.5-3mbps. Since at&t supposedly has the least amount of dropped calls I hope a 5x5 chunk of Band 5 won't mess with that, but of course eventually moving towards 10x10 makes sense.

Densification, across all 4 major networks, needs to continue to happen regardless of spectrum IMO.
    I would love to see band 5 and 17 CA. Would make for some great coverage and speeds.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast