Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Am I beyond hope?

Feedback Score
    As far as phones go, this is not critical for tracfone usage, but in general I will always want to recommend getting a phone that is not locked to AT&T specifically, so you can use it on a wider range of providers if you find a service that works better for you then tracfone down the road. Another consideration that may not seem important now but may become so later is to get a phone where you can unlock the bootloader and root if you want to.

Don't pay too much attention to spec details like what is the processor and pixel density etc, stuff like that is usually not nearly as important as some like to think.

However basic storage capacity is important, These days you definitely should go with more than one gigabyte of RAM, as you load up multiple apps things do start to get slowed down, 1.5 would be the minimum these days two would be much better. Also 8 gigabyte of storage is getting pretty cramped, unless you know for sure you're not going to use larger apps and don't do much with music, video or lots of photos. Of course with the latter user data storage, support for an external sd card really helps, but personally even 16 gigabytes to me is at the low end - if at all possible you really should go for a phone that has 32 or even 64 gigabytes of native storage, especially if you do use those larger media file types.

A nicer higher resolution screen is certainly nice to have, especially when you get up to the larger sizes that you are looking at, but that is a factor that can add significantly to the price of the device.

I recommend going with the really mainstream manufacturers that are very widely sold in the US, both for support from the community, ease of getting parts and familiarity with the repair shops, but most important build quality, you want a phone that will stand up to some hard knocks and keep on ticking for a long time.

Radio performance can be very important if you are not always right in the middle of a densely populated area, or work in buildings where signal gets affected. Motorola is generally acknowledged as a very top performer in this area, I have had good experience with the LG line, and Samsung Galaxy S series and Apple iPhone recent models have been getting very good, but those are a bit out of your price range.

Generally speaking, the best strategy is to go for what used to be the high end flagship model for a given manufacturer one or two years ago. Or even a bit longer - for example in the case of the LG G2, even though that is now 3 years old, it was so far ahead of its time in specs that it is still better than many lesser device is being released as new these days. It has an excellent camera and good RF performance, if you can find one new around $150 these days that is a tremendous value for money. Secondhand they go for around 100 in good condition on eBay.

Around the same price point, but without as good a camera, is the Moto X first generation, if you can pick up the second generation within your budget that would also be a good deal, but only the 2015 version which is a lot more expensive has an excellent camera.

A big step down from the Moto X is the Moto G, but second generation is a great device, if you go all the way back to the first generation make sure you get the LTE compatible version with SD card support, and ideally the factory unlocked version, not the one was sold by cricket.

The Google Nexus 5 made by LG is an excellent value these days as well, can be found brand new for under $150 and in good condition from eBay a bit more than 100. This is a very open hardware design, can work on multiple carriers, capable of being bootloader unlocked and rooted.

Finally, I have heard good things about the Asus Zenfone 2, and I am sure others will pipe up with other suggestions I may have forgotten.

Hope this helps get you started...

Device(s)
    LG V20 Verizon Prepaid
    Carrier(s)
    LG V30 Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Coyote Chris,

I wear a belt clip holster for my LG G2 phone which has the buttons on the back. I don't have any issues with the phones buttons being pressed when inserting or removing my phone from the holster.

I like the fact the buttons are on the back as I remove my phone from the holster by grasping the top edges of the phone. On my L41C phone I would accidentally turn it on or off sometimes if I didn't pay attention to the location of the power button when removing from the holster.

I do have a TPU case on my phone but it doesn't matter with the holster I have.
    The power button doesn't protrude from the phone very much at all and the volume buttons are slightly recessed.

However I still haven't gotten used to the rear mounted buttons since I don't use them much. I use the knock on/off feature of the phone.
    LG V20 (Verizon)

Feedback Score
    Chris,
    The L33L Sunset does have KnockON, the new trick I taught you on the L41C .

You can check out this thread
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Sunset-L33L-4G

And the user guide can be downloaded from the first post if you need some sleeping material.

Spending more as HansCT wrote will get you a better phone.
    Cheers!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    You know with the L41C you can double-tap the screen to wake it up/put it to sleep?
    I got used to the double-tap on my L41C and keep trying to do that on my Maven, Fuel, and ASUS tablet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I got used to the double-tap on my L41C and keep trying to do that on my Maven, Fuel, and ASUS tablet
    I bet LG has a patent or protection on that feature, otherwise why don't other phones copy them.

I find myself doing the same thing on my other devices too .

Device(s)
    LG V20 Verizon Prepaid
    Carrier(s)
    LG V30 Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I bet LG has a patent or protection on that feature, otherwise why don't other phones copy them.

I find myself doing the same thing on my other devices too .
    Me too! When I was checking out my $10 Moto E, I would forget double tap the screen which of course doesn't do anything.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Dollar General sells the Tracfone 4G LTE BYOP SIM kits for a dollar and the kit covers all SIM sizes for CDMA and GSM. Buy at least two kits. Best Buy sells them for about $5 or order on Walmart.com for store pickup for $3. In Dollar General stores, the kits are usually hanging on stripes in random places away from the phones and employees usually don't know where, so you'll have to walk the whole store hunting.

We'll tell you what to do with them latter.

Figure out your size limit. 6" too big?
    I like my 6.1" Huawei Ascend Mate 2 on Tracfone 4G LTE GSM BYOP. Brand new for $200. It has side buttons .

Enjoy the vacation.
    That's what I'm talkin' about! $200 on Amazon! While the hard cases dont offer much "grip" they just might offer enough...and there are holsters available...
    http://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Modern-...nd+mate+2+case
    So you say this phone will work on GSM BYOP? No Dollar Generals around here and it isnt worth spinnin the key to save a dollar so I can get the kit at Bestbuy delivered to my door for only $13.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfone...&skuId=4596900

So, If I order the phone,the semi hard case, holster,and trafone sim kit, what else do I need?
    Anything like this phone on the CDMA side that might have a bit smaller screen but a more substancial hard case?

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Chris,
    The L33L Sunset does have KnockON, the new trick I taught you on the L41C .

You can check out this thread
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Sunset-L33L-4G

And the user guide can be downloaded from the first post if you need some sleeping material.

Spending more as HansCT wrote will get you a better phone.
    Yes, I did download the PDF and put it on my desktop....and I am not discounting a try...but a bigger screen would be nice.
    The big plus with the Sunset is they have real "Old man with arthritis" cases available that makes the phone easy to hang on to and if one drops it, there is a chance that the phone will survive!
    http://www.amazon.com/Starshop-Prote...LG+sunset+case
    If there is really little truth that GSM offers less throttled data speed than CDMA, I am still open to a 5 in screen phone, BYOP, of either type with buttons on the side, real hard cases available, around $200

Feedback Score
    Chris,
    Look on Walmart.com for Tracfone BYOP kit. Have two delivered for less than Best Buy price.

While the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 is great phone, it comes with Jelly Bean, which is old and fine, but you can install Lollipop with Huawei provided files if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with the PC.

Suggest you consider the Huawei Honor 5X which just came out for same price. It's unlocked GSM to and should work fine on Tracfone 4G LTE GSM BYOP.

Many other choices too including GSM and CDMA for $200.

Feedback Score
    My eyes prefer my 6.1" Huawei Ascend Mate 2 with its lower resolution screen over my 5.5" LG G4 with it's higher resolution screen because of larger screen real estate on the 6.1".

I'm telling you contradictory things . Which do you think you eyes would prefer? Heck of a lot easier to type on 6.1's keyboard too. No rear buttons on the HAM2.

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtley View Post
    Coyote Chris,

I wear a belt clip holster for my LG G2 phone which has the buttons on the back. I don't have any issues with the phones buttons being pressed when inserting or removing my phone from the holster.

I like the fact the buttons are on the back as I remove my phone from the holster by grasping the top edges of the phone. On my L41C phone I would accidentally turn it on or off sometimes if I didn't pay attention to the location of the power button when removing from the holster.

I do have a TPU case on my phone but it doesn't matter with the holster I have.
    The power button doesn't protrude from the phone very much at all and the volume buttons are slightly recessed.

However I still haven't gotten used to the rear mounted buttons since I don't use them much. I use the knock on/off feature of the phone.
    The LG G2 does have old man with arthritis cases available.....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hybrid-Rugge...8AAOSwPTlTyaJz

They are very inexpensive...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-LG-G2-...75985827&rt=nc
    So it is a candidate...any CDMA phones like it?

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    My eyes prefer my 6.1" Huawei Ascend Mate 2 with its lower resolution screen over my 5.5" LG G4 with it's higher resolution screen because of larger screen real estate on the 6.1".

I'm telling you contradictory things . Which do you think you eyes would prefer? Heck of a lot easier to type on 6.1's keyboard too. No rear buttons on the HAM2.
    What is a Ham 2??? (OK, short for the Mate 2) You have read my mind....texting is much easier for older people on a bigger screen.
    I would order one right now if it had an old man's case.
    http://www.amazon.com/Starshop-Prote...LG+sunset+case

Device(s)
    Lg800g
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Chris,
    Look on Walmart.com for Tracfone BYOP kit. Have two delivered for less than Best Buy price.

While the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 is great phone, it comes with Jelly Bean, which is old and fine, but you can install Lollipop with Huawei provided files if you don't mind getting your hands dirty with the PC.

Suggest you consider the Huawei Honor 5X which just came out for same price. It's unlocked GSM to and should work fine on Tracfone 4G LTE GSM BYOP.

Many other choices too including GSM and CDMA for $200.
    Metal phones are butt ugly BUT THERE IS A HARD CASE AVAILABLE
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Armor-Shockp...6wY3taVrRtTJBA

Feedback Score
    Chris,
    The HAM2 is large and has a huge 3900 mAh battery (not user replaceable) that lasts forever.

If you have a Microcenter nearby, they stock and display the HAM2. Sears sells the Consumer Cellular version, so you can look at it there, but don't buy it - its Consumer Cellular locked.

You could do this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017HX1CG8/

and use an Otter box type case I'll have to look up.

Here it is:

Look on Amazon for: Trident Cyclops Case for Huawei Ascend Mate2 4G:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IEYG5EY/

The Trident Cyclops case provides a lot of military grade protection and the expense of about 1/4" in each direction.

This TPU case is sufficient for my daily needs and much less massive:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KGVCCRM

The edge goes past the screen, so if you put the phone face down, the screen is not touch the bottom surface.
    Last edited by tfusr19; 01-07-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    So it is a candidate...any CDMA phones like it?
    there is a variant of the LG g2 for each carrier

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast