Thread: Roam in UK with legacy gold prepaid?

Feedback Score

Roam in UK with legacy gold prepaid?

Can a legacy gold prepaid account on an unlocked tri-band phone be used to roam in England? The wiki suggests "yes", but the t-mobile website says that the account would need to be converted to a different plan.

Feedback Score
    You can use it for voice and text but not for data

Skickat från min SM-P605 via Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No idea about the plan's roaming options, but make sure that triband phone supports the correct frequencies for the UK. 900 and 1800 usually.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sun728 View Post
    ..but make sure that triband phone supports the correct frequencies for the UK. 900 and 1800 usually.
    Good point! My answer was just about the plan, didn't think about the phone!

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    >Can a legacy gold prepaid account on an unlocked tri-band phone be used to roam in England?
    >The wiki suggests "yes", but the t-mobile website says that the account would need to be
    >converted to a different plan.

What an interesting question! If you convert to a Simple Choice plan, you get unlimited data, unlimited texts and $0.20 per minute talk. Other plans are $15 a megabyte, $0.50 per text and $1.49 per minute talk. You do have to call customer service to turn on European roaming.

The phone situation is also interesting - the T-Mobile brand has been removed from the UK market after the merger between Dutsche Telecom and Orange. The new company EE operates on 1800 (GSM) and your tri-band phone might need that specific band.

The last time I looked at this, I thought "Lebara" and "Giff-Gab" were worth looking into.

Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    "Giff Gaff" not "Giff-Gab" - that's who I used on our recent trip to the UK.

Toggle Mobile is also worth a look - good rates in several countries including the US, UK, France and Australia, and local numbers available in most of the centres.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I used my T-mobile Gold rewards phone both in France & England. The rate was about $1.49/minute! However, I had a T-Mobile-branded phone in France and it made calls through Wi-fi Calling at .10/min, just like in the US (when in wi-fi). In England I bought a SIM at the airport for Labara (using Vodaphone) for about $20US and it made very economical calls both locally & TO the US, like about .10/minute. They have lots of plans to choose. I used Google Hangouts for incoming calls FROM the US, which would ring wherever I was in England through Labara's Data connection. I will use Labara and Hangouts (w/Google Voice) from now on.
    Bill Radio
    Mountain Wireless Network Reports & Ratings,
    Coverage Maps,
    Wireless Roaming