Thread: HELP -- Unable to upgrade $10 datashare addon to $35 addon handset (shareeverything)

Device(s)
    Got Bold (pun intended)
    Carrier(s)
    Yep...Rogers
    Feedback Score

HELP -- Unable to upgrade $10 datashare addon to $35 addon handset (shareeverything)

Help!

Rogers won't let me pay them more money....
    I'm stumped.
    I have 5 phone lines, as follows:

What I currently have:

647-XXX-XXXX -- Main Share-Everything
    613-XXX-XXXX -- $35 Add-On Phone
    647-XXX-XXXX -- $10 datashare
    416-500-XXXX -- $10 datashare

What I now want:

647-XXX-XXXX -- Main Share-Everything
    613-XXX-XXXX -- $35 Add-On Phone
    416-500-XXXX -- $35 Add-On Phone

_____

This is just a change to one line to a more expensive plan.

This is a rare 416 phone number with a "500" as its first seven digits, and I want to be able to do phone/texting from it.

I'm bringing my own phone...

Right I got a phone for my spouse for Christmas, and I wanted to put the 416-500-XXXX on that phone. This is when the problem started when I first contacted Rogers to upsize the plan. Rogers explained that the 416 line is on an Easy Pay plan for an iPad I got from last November 2015 (that is a mistake: the easypay should have been added to one of the 647 datashare lines, but I didn't know until I tried adding a phone recently).

I'm totally okay to keep or renew the easy pay contract; or move it over to any of the other no-contract lines, while paying Rogers more per month.

I just want to pay Rogers more money per month ($35 instead of $10, as seen above);
    I'm not even asking for a headset upgrade;
    I'm not trying to nail a "sweeter" plan;
    I'm willing to keep/move/renew the easypay contract (whatever Rogers allows);
    I'm not trying to remove the easypay commitment -- it can continue unchanged or renewed.
    I've already got the phone;

Regardless of how this is done; I am totally okay on keeping or renewing the easy pay contract -- either unchanged on existing number or moved to a different number (historically you were allowed to change plans if you renewed the contract) -- and regardless, some tablets allow calling/texting anyway -- so why can't phone calling be allowed on a line attached to an easy pay? (Is this a restriction? Why such restriction?) I tried several requests in order to achieve the above, such as trying to do a phone number swap, or renewing the contract.

- Already tried Rogers Chat (who told me to call Customer Care)
    - Already tried Rogers Customer Care
    - Already been transferred to Customer Relations

I am a deaf person (website) and sometimes I had difficulty with the Relay Interpreter on the phone.

Some customer reps were definitely trying hard to be helpful but that their systems stymied them prevening them from honoring this request and transferred me. Others were confused by my complex request (because I have 5 lines that were hard to dig through the system) and kept insisting on upgrading one of my 647 lines. I don't want another 647 phone. I want the phone on the 416-500-XXXX phone number.

Rogers say they can do the $35 add-on on the other $10 datashare lines because there's no contract or easypay attached to them.

Rogers claims to say that it is the "Easy Pay commitment" that doesn't allow this, but I'm simply wanting to keep the commitment!

I'm simply wanting to add a texting/calling option to the line.
    This doesn't make any sense at all if I'm unable to add that option?

Rogers is losing no money if they do this -- they'd gain to profit a lot more from me by honoring this request --
    I'm really truly confused. There's no loss to Rogers: No HUP, no new subsidy, no contract escape, no decrease in revenue...???

Can't I switch a $10 datashare number to a $35 additional phone number, on the beautiful 416-500-XXXX number?
    I'm happy to keep and/or renew the easy pay contract if need be, and pay more per month for a bigger plan on one line.
    Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 01-14-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    Thanks,
    Mark Rejhon

Feedback Score
    This may not be the best way to do this. It involves a few steps but what about having your wife take over that number (a transfer of responsibility) under her name and then go ahead and take the number back under your account with another transfer. Not necessarily the ideal way to go but it might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Got Bold (pun intended)
    Carrier(s)
    Yep...Rogers
    Feedback Score
    But what is the best way?

Supplemental info:
    I have also been told I can log on and do Add-Ons online, but the 416-500-3027 phone number doesn't even show up:

I seem to be able to do add-ons on any of the other lines, however.
    Only 4 out of 5 lines show up when I try to click "MANAGE MY ADD-ONS" -- my own 416 number is missing!

Just adding this information, if it's anything related to the difficulties that CSRs are having with my account.

Name:  rogers.png
Views: 463
Size:  88.2 KB

The above (missing 416 number) is what shows up after I click "MANAGE MY ADD-ONS" button in the below
    (in an attempt to try another method of add phoning/texting to this 416-500-XXXX line)

Name:  rogers2.png
Views: 482
Size:  94.8 KB

It seems I can do this for all the 4 other phone lines out of my 5.

This has been the case for a long time (even before I got easypay).
    I wonder if it is related to the difficulties Rogers is having with my 416-500-XXXX number.
    (Or if this is a completely separate problem)

But it seems like I am totally locked to 416-500-XXXX number with no ability to do an upgraded texting/calling plan of any kind, no matter what I do!?!? As if Rogers doesn't want me to pay them more money per month, to be able to do so!?

NOTE to Rogers reading notes on my account: Several attempted changes were made by some CSRs trying to help me -- while some of them were reverted, though the $11 Device Protection plan (which was on 416-500-XXXX) was transferred to 647-632-2511 in an unsuccessful attempt to move the easypay plan over. I assume the clutter on my account may be confusing to look through, but what's important is the 416 number.
    Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 01-13-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Fido, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Because the 416-500 has an Easy Pay on it the only way to free up the number is to port it out to another company or to Rogers Prepaid. You have to pay whatever the Easy Pay balance is on the line in order to free it up. You can then activate a new account with a temporary number and move the 416-500 number over to it.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Port it out (I assume no contract since its on the $10 data share) and port it back in as a new activation on the plan you want. Simple, easy, can be done in the same day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Maestro View Post
    This may not be the best way to do this. It involves a few steps but what about having your wife take over that number (a transfer of responsibility) under her name and then go ahead and take the number back under your account with another transfer. Not necessarily the ideal way to go but it might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wont work. The Easy Pay will follow the transfer of responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeLogic View Post
    Because the 416-500 has an Easy Pay on it the only way to free up the number is to port it out to another company or to Rogers Prepaid. You have to pay whatever the Easy Pay balance is on the line in order to free it up. You can then activate a new account with a temporary number and move the 416-500 number over to it.
    Can be done but requires a lot of steps.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    Port it out (I assume no contract since its on the $10 data share) and port it back in as a new activation on the plan you want. Simple, easy, can be done in the same day.
    The data share $10 is not on contract but the Easy Pay is on financing.

-----------------------------------
    Easiest way to do it is to call Rogers and tell them you want to pay off the EasyPay balance on that phone number. Unfortunately there is no way to move it to another line. Once the financing is at $0 it will allow you to change the plan.
    Opinions and comments are that of my own and do that reflect that of any organization.

Device(s)
    Got Bold (pun intended)
    Carrier(s)
    Yep...Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I finally got it done.

500 is now an Add-On Line.

Basically it's a cancellation of Easy Pay (pay it off) -- meaning I've got to pay the iPad in full upon the next Rogers bill. As a consolation I am told I can call payment services and see if I can spread it out a bit -- like a few months (same technique as a Rogers subscriber would pay a late bill or final bill using instalment payments). This will require a separate phone call to try and negotiate a bill payment plan.

I can pay the whole thing, but it's an unexpected/unwanted expense surge from what I consider was mistake/misinformation (combined with what I believe is an incorrect business decision within Rogers to put such a useless profit-hurting subscriber-repelling restriction on Easy Pay), and I'd rather add another hundred or two per bill instead to get it paid over a few months. We'll see...

Didn't need to port the number.

I'm not too happy that this was the only option.

That's Customer Retentions. Twice. They said the only way to solve this was to payoff the Financing. It wasn't a contract but a financing (like a car loan), which is their new "subsidy" system for iPads.

But the pretty 416-500-XXXX number is freed from its unintentional shackles. Happy outcome for that treasure of a phone number.
    Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 01-20-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would recommend paying off the bill in full if you can. Otherwise you'll be paying late payment fees which will likely be fairly significant.