Thread: Texting via email and reply via mypixmessages

Feedback Score

Texting via email and reply via mypixmessages

When I text my husband I usually do it from email using [email protected]. I am on a computer all day and it is easier than using my phone and lots of times I do not have a cell signal anyway. When he replies the message is from [email protected] and shows as a email with attachment. What is he being charged to receive and return this email? Is it free? Considered a text or photo (using data)?

Is there a better way to do this when there is not enough of a signal to text?

Device(s)
    G7 Optimo Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does he have an Iphone? That is how Iphones work unless he turns off MMS altogether.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skmerrow View Post
    When I text my husband I usually do it from email using [email protected]. I am on a computer all day and it is easier than using my phone and lots of times I do not have a cell signal anyway. When he replies the message is from [email protected] and shows as a email with attachment. What is he being charged to receive and return this email? Is it free? Considered a text or photo (using data)?

It is a being sent as a MMS, but if he's not attaching anything, it uses only a tiny bit of cellular data. Unfortunately, many smartphones only send a SMS to an email address as a MMS. Some older phones used to send SMS to an email address as SMS, but the newer phones I've had experience with won't.

The only better way is to use Google Voice or Hangouts to send/receive text messages on your computer, but unless you port your cell # to GV, it will be a different # than your cell phone has.

Device(s)
    Ascend XT2 at&t ,iphone 6s at&t
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (att sim)(Verison)
    Feedback Score

I have google voice on my iphone also my android,my wife and kids have it entered in contacts as dads google and dads iphone works very well

Feedback Score
    When he replies the message is from [email protected] and shows as a email with attachment. What is he being charged to receive and return this email? Is it free? Considered a text or photo (using data)?
    Does he have a feature (basic) phone or a smartphone? Seem to remember my feature phones did the MMS thing, but the smartphones don't. Might depend on what email service you are using. This is called the SMS gateway and can be handled differently by the phone carriers. I also have Verizon service and don't have the MMS issue with a text unless attaching a file.

Replies to individual text messages can't be made by the stock Android messaging apps like they can in email. Maybe by third party apps.

Feedback Score
    FYI: mypixmessages.com as an MMS address is only used by some Verizon MVNO's and may not work with a native Verizon account. That is vzwpix.com.

Feedback Score
    Yes, he has an iphone

Feedback Score
    Google voice is complicated. Is there a dummies guide?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    FYI: mypixmessages.com as an MMS address is only used by some Verizon MVNO's and may not work with a native Verizon account. That is vzwpix.com.
    yup, I know that.

Feedback Score
    Google voice is complicated. Is there a dummies guide?
    We were discussing yesterday in another thread, so should be near top of list. Search my or "Coyote Chris" recent posts. ... ... Here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Porting-Issues
    Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryST View Post
    Does he have an Iphone? That is how Iphones work unless he turns off MMS altogether.
    That's a good point. As I recall there is a settings screen in an iPhone for toggling SMS, MMS, and iMessage. I made the mistake of sending a text message to an iPhone using the SMS gateway from computer email and it fouled up their messaging system. Replies came back to my phone messaging, and also to my email address using both their portal address and email address. Will not do that one again!