Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Layoffs Friday Jan 22

Feedback Score

Sprint Layoffs Friday Jan 22

What's the real word on the streets and at the stores/offices?

This article says Layoffs start Friday Jan 22. http://recode.net/2016/01/15/sprint-finalizes-plan-to-trim-network-costs-by-up-to-1-billion/

"These network changes are the latest in a series of belt-tightening moves outlined last fall that would include layoffs. Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure has said he would like to make the cuts by Jan. 30 to allow employees to take advantage of a more generous severance plan that is being ended. Sources say Sprint plans to make significant numbers of the cuts on Jan. 22."

Feedback Score
    I can't speak for the corporate side, but I can speak for the indirect channel. Sprint has now instituted a policy where any "preferred retailers" must have at least fifteen stores to qualify as preferred over "certified dealer." What's the difference, you may ask? Preferred retailers are Sprint branded stores (like a franchise) that sells Sprint and Sprint alone. A certified dealer can be anyone, such as Best Buy, Radioshack, etc. It's better to be in preferred because Sprint pays an extra $65 per activation on new customers (the exclusivity bonus) for only selling Sprint. Well because a retailer must have at least 15 stores to qualify for this program, a lot of smaller companies that only had a few stores will be taking a big pay cut. I'm lucky that my company is getting bought out by a larger one. This works out for both of us since our owner said we wouldn't be able to stay in business otherwise, and the bigger company gains enough stores to stay in the preferred program. I've heard of some other dealers who said they'll have to cut back on pay or belly-up due to the dealer paycut.

My theory is that Sprint is doing this so that the dealers nationwide consolidate and begin to manage themselves more. They got rid of the Indirect Account Executive position last year (which was like a corporate babysitter for 5-10 stores and would do audits to ensure policy compliance). We still have regional indirect managers who are over entire states, but I have a feeling they'll cut those positions in the next year as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Faux View Post
    What's the real word on the streets and at the stores/offices?

This article says Layoffs start Friday Jan 22. http://recode.net/2016/01/15/sprint-...-to-1-billion/

"These network changes are the latest in a series of belt-tightening moves outlined last fall that would include layoffs. Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure has said he would like to make the cuts by Jan. 30 to allow employees to take advantage of a more generous severance plan that is being ended. Sources say Sprint plans to make significant numbers of the cuts on Jan. 22."
    Well, here's one. Sprint laying off hundreds in Blountville

Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I can't speak for the corporate side, but I can speak for the indirect channel. Sprint has now instituted a policy where any "preferred retailers" must have at least fifteen stores to qualify as preferred over "certified dealer." What's the difference, you may ask? Preferred retailers are Sprint branded stores (like a franchise) that sells Sprint and Sprint alone. A certified dealer can be anyone, such as Best Buy, Radioshack, etc. It's better to be in preferred because Sprint pays an extra $65 per activation on new customers (the exclusivity bonus) for only selling Sprint. Well because a retailer must have at least 15 stores to qualify for this program, a lot of smaller companies that only had a few stores will be taking a big pay cut. I'm lucky that my company is getting bought out by a larger one. This works out for both of us since our owner said we wouldn't be able to stay in business otherwise, and the bigger company gains enough stores to stay in the preferred program. I've heard of some other dealers who said they'll have to cut back on pay or belly-up due to the dealer paycut.

My theory is that Sprint is doing this so that the dealers nationwide consolidate and begin to manage themselves more. They got rid of the Indirect Account Executive position last year (which was like a corporate babysitter for 5-10 stores and would do audits to ensure policy compliance). We still have regional indirect managers who are over entire states, but I have a feeling they'll cut those positions in the next year as well.
    Are Radioshack employees paid less than Sprint Corp. Store employees?

Feedback Score
    They are cutting comp to save money. I heard is it's all of indirect. This is right sizing the business for the lower gross ads. Not as many doors needed, and you have RS stores.

Feedback Score
    Did Sprint really need those Radioshack stores?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No, the answer is no they did not need Radioshack at all. Nobody needed it actually - it is a classic example of a business that the times passed by. It happens, it's sad, but the world marches forward.

Now, onto the insight provided to us by Visions is bad. His insight is generally good and spot on and reducing the pay structure in a such a way does indicate they either want to consolidate to bigger networks under fewer different companies - makes it easier on Sprint. But, if Sprint is needing to double down on getting customers, using a local approach through retailers like that is a good way. It builds on loyalty, even if it's to a non-Sprint store, they're loyal to the exclusive dealer which in turns means loyalty to Sprint. It's just against what Sprint needs to accomplish. I work at a big healthcare company and we have contracts across the whole state from the government and private companies. I live in AZ and it's very rural and the reason we've gained so many members and contracts in such a rural state is we went out and got providers in the little town. We got the one clinic that has all the one-stop shop specialty in the next town over. We grew our network and it was hard (or we bought up other companies, but still). It's a lot of work managing it, but it's paid off.

Sprint, on the other hand seems to want to bow out almost with moves they continue to do like this. The layoffs, the odd choosing and timing of the regional managers, the fact one recode article that may be pure BS (or may be true) that caused a huge company to move up an earnings call - this isn't good. Sprint needs to right this ship, now.

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score

Sprint Layoffs Friday Jan 22

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Loc...ms=1280841&c=y

It was a retentions call center, at least what people that worked there said.
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucleartx View Post
    http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Loc...ms=1280841&c=y

It was a retentions call center, at least what people that worked there said.
    So they didn't need to retain the retentions people?

Feedback Score
    I love how all of these cuts are coming from the bottom of the totem pole. I haven't heard anything about executive paycuts. Doesn't mean they're not in motion either; I just haven't heard anything about it.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    My ex works at the Panama City, FL call center, he hasn't heard of any closures in his center, but who knows??

Another wireless company I know closed quite a few call centers including a collections call center in Colorado in 2012 to cut costs, they just raised metrics and lowered call times to compensate, but they transferred people that wanted to and I am guessing it cut a lot of costs.

Hopefully Sprint can train their employee's to be efficient yet helpful and they can get it together!!

Feedback Score
    It means more South American and or Indian Call Centers. Won't be as bad as Virgin Mobile circa 2002. Account numbers were numbers and letters and they couldn't pronounce the letters.... any of them. I spent 5 hours getting an account number.

Everything they talk about is on the cost side. Which is rightsizing the business, not growing it. Can they cut costs enough that they can make debt payments and generate a small operating profit with the current subscriber counts or a bit less? I am getting the impression that sub growth is not in the cards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
    It means more South American and or Indian Call Centers. Won't be as bad as Virgin Mobile circa 2002. Account numbers were numbers and letters and they couldn't pronounce the letters.... any of them. I spent 5 hours getting an account number.

Everything they talk about is on the cost side. Which is rightsizing the business, not growing it. Can they cut costs enough that they can make debt payments and generate a small operating profit with the current subscriber counts or a bit less? I am getting the impression that sub growth is not in the cards.
    C'mon now. It can't honestly be said that Sprint hasn't, at least on paper, stemmed the subscriber loss. It will be interesting to see the effect all these call center shutdowns has on Sprint's award winning customer care.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
    That comment doesn't match reality. Sprint has net adds (i.e., growth) in recent quarters for almost a year now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast