Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Calling on WIND Mobile, anytime soon?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score

Wifi Calling on WIND Mobile, anytime soon?

Any news on the Wifi Calling feature or the possible launch date?
    WIND: Everywhere 50
    Unlimited CA/US Call, MMS, 11gb Data, 2400 min US/CA Roaming w/1gb Data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by syzuie View Post
    Any news on the Wifi Calling feature or the possible launch date?
    This is most likely a couple years away. It will appear shortly after VoLTE service does, and will only hand-off (without dropping) to the LTE network.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rodtaylor View Post
    This is most likely a couple years away. It will appear shortly after VoLTE service does, and will only hand-off (without dropping) to the LTE network.
    Must be soon if its already mentioned in the external press releases.. "Having one single platform will allow us to launch services faster, decrease maintenance costs and allow fast integration with LTE, WiFi calling and future product enhancements as we grow our business and deliver on our vision."

http://pr.news.csgi.com/press-releas...as-wind-mobile

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Andrade View Post
    Must be soon if its already mentioned in the external press releases.. "Having one single platform will allow us to launch services faster, decrease maintenance costs and allow fast integration with LTE, WiFi calling and future product enhancements as we grow our business and deliver on our vision."

http://pr.news.csgi.com/press-releas...as-wind-mobile

A couple years is soon with infrastructure like that. If they weren't planning for it today, in earnest, it would be more like 4+ years away.

Carrier(s)
    Public / Freedom / T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wifi calling is a crutch for a poor network. I don't want to rely my voice calls voiping on some random wifi network. It's better for the carriers to focus its effort in having the proper cell tower density / repeaters instead.

Feedback Score
    You could try voip.ms. I run it on my android.
    - Successfully moved 5 people (+ myself) from Robbers.

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/LOS14.1
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cal653 View Post
    Wifi calling is a crutch for a poor network. I don't want to rely my voice calls voiping on some random wifi network. It's better for the carriers to focus its effort in having the proper cell tower density / repeaters instead.
    Yes, of course, but WiFi calling would seem to be a good way to rapidly expand coverage in the short term while the cellular deployment catches up. I think the strength of this would be lie not so much in "random WiFi", but instead with personal WiFi (when at home) and Shaw's established and robust public WiFi network. For us, that would address two major issues: weak cellular signal at home (as we're on the outer edge of the coverage area) and weak cellular signal indoors at several buildings with Shaw WiFi.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by procyon View Post
    You could try voip.ms. I run it on my android.
    I already have freephoneline's line but having wifi calling could be a cool feature as you can still receive texts and calls out of the coverage area.
    Mind you a friend of mine has traveled with his Fido to Iran where there is no roaming agreement and he can still receive calls and texts on wifi at no additional cost.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Plus, WiFi calling would unload some stress on the network
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cal653 View Post
    I have zero signal at my work. Wifi calling would be perfect for that.

Feedback Score
    I already have freephoneline's line but having wifi calling could be a cool feature as you can still receive texts and calls out of the coverage area.
    Mind you a friend of mine has traveled with his Fido to Iran where there is no roaming agreement and he can still receive calls and texts on wifi at no additional cost.
    Just like one can redirect unanswered calls to their freephoneline/voip.ms voicemail, one could redirect unanswered/unanswerable calls to their SIP voice client and answer it over wifi/data. Callers will have to wait through more rings though.

Or give out your voip.ms phone number as your main number*. Configure it so that incoming calls ring your Wind phone and SIP client simultaneously. Then answer whichever one you like. If unanswered on those, send the call to your voip.ms voicemail box.

* Voip.ms supports SMS now, and there's now an android client for sending/receiving calls. I haven't tried it though...

Feedback Score
    Just installed the Voip.ms Android SMS Client. It's on the play store and works after 5 minutes of configuration (of the app and my voip.ms DID). Just set the IP in voip.ms to 0.0.0.0 in the API configuration so it works from anywhere. Choose a good password of course.

After turning on "Use Developer's Google Cloud account..." (paraphrased) for push notifications, messages are close to instant.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    If you buy the unlock key from FPL for $70, then you have a SIP phone with no recurring fees.
    Bell SK+fongo:
    $85 Unlimited NA, NA text, US Roaming, 15GB

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    Currently Videotron and Bell. Has used PM, Wind, Koodo, Koodo, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fruvous View Post
    If you buy the unlock key from FPL for $70, then you have a SIP phone with no recurring fees.
    How does the call quality on FPL compare to other SIP providers? My home phone currently costs me $15/month (using SIP). Given the number of calls, this may be an option.

So $70 + $5/month?

May also add one to the Wind line.

Device(s)
    One Plus One (Virgin), iPhone 5c (Mobi)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin > Fongo, Chatrlicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmd View Post
    How does the call quality on FPL compare to other SIP providers? My home phone currently costs me $15/month (using SIP). Given the number of calls, this may be an option.

So $70 + $5/month?

May also add one to the Wind line.
    I haven't had any call quality problems. There is no monthly on FPL. Fongo is +$5.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast