Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wifi Calling on WIND Mobile, anytime soon?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tvisforme View Post
    Yes, of course, but WiFi calling would seem to be a good way to rapidly expand coverage in the short term while the cellular deployment catches up. I think the strength of this would be lie not so much in "random WiFi", but instead with personal WiFi (when at home) and Shaw's established and robust public WiFi network. For us, that would address two major issues: weak cellular signal at home (as we're on the outer edge of the coverage area) and weak cellular signal indoors at several buildings with Shaw WiFi.

Not to mention that you won't pay roaming when using WiFi calling!

Device(s)
    Essential PH-1, Pixel XL, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    With the recent hikes from the big 3, I wouldn't expect anything 'free', anytime soon. You're just another wallet to pick. #shareholderslivesmatter
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Apparently Rogers now has this up and running now for Iphones. It mentioned that you can't have data blocking enabled.

Anyone know if that is a necessity or is it just roger's trying to earn some data charges ? I would hope that when Wind gets this feature, it could operate without passing my call to data / roaming .

Device(s)
    Motorola X Play
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Wifi calling cannot be charged to your data roaming; it is happening on wifi, which is not cellular data. It does not go through the cellular system, so there would not be any cellular charges, anywhere. I don't know why Rogers wants cellular data unblocked' it may have to do with getting the right phone numbe displayed on the other party, or as you said, an attempt by Rogers to extract more money thorugh increasing data usage.

This ia already in place, sort of, with Skype or other VoIP apps. The real problem is that you would need to take out a Skype/VoIP app phone number, so the Caller ID on the people you are calling would need to be added to their directory, and that Skype/VoIP apps charge for calls made to a landline/cellular phone without the same VoIP app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cal653 View Post
    Wifi calling is a crutch for a poor network. I don't want to rely my voice calls voiping on some random wifi network. It's better for the carriers to focus its effort in having the proper cell tower density / repeaters instead.
    T-Mobile WiFi calling saved me so much money when travelling abroad. I could make and receive calls as if I was in he US.
    That could also save WIND customer's money when roaming across Canada and overseas.

Device(s)
    N5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rodtaylor View Post
    This is most likely a couple years away. It will appear shortly after VoLTE service does, and will only hand-off (without dropping) to the LTE network.
    well a potential sign of something going on is shaw creating these new wifi test access points called shawpasspoint

if you lookup passpoint its a handoff technology type setup so you can wander between passpoint locations with out your connections dropping.

but ya i cant see the whole thing being setup very soon, its probably moving at the speed of shaw....

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    If ShaWind (don't confuse with Sha-Wing! From Wayne's World) can lean on this in high traffic areas, it will alleviate congestion on the cellular network... LTE is only required for the low latency after the hand-off...

Can they run a 5mhz LTE network besides a 5mhz HSPA while they migrate subs to Band 66?
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    Asus ZenFone 2 Laser w/LOS14.1
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile, Chatr, formerly Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From the Shaw Cable community forum:

ShawPasspoint: New Shaw Go WiFi SSID
    Starting February 18, 2016, customers in Calgary may notice a new wireless network called ShawPasspoint when in range of a Shaw Go WiFi Hotspot. This new SSID is part of an internal trial we are currently conducting as part of our ongoing efforts to provide an exceptional Shaw Go WiFi experience. During this testing phase, the ShawPasspoint SSID will be visible to everyone, but will only be accessible to select Shaw employee trial participants.

Last edited by tvisforme; 02-25-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Clean up formatting

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cal653 View Post
    Wifi calling is a crutch for a poor network. I don't want to rely my voice calls voiping on some random wifi network. It's better for the carriers to focus its effort in having the proper cell tower density / repeaters instead.
    You choose what WiFi networks you use, so if it's a random network it's because you chose to connect to it. And bear in mind that WIND is never going to have native coverage in several Canadian provinces (e.g. Saskatchewan), so WiFi calling would be quite a boon to people who travel so they can minimize roaming costs.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2