Thread: Cell Phone Signal Booster?

Feedback Score

Cell Phone Signal Booster?

Hi Everyone, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum so please excuse me if I'm not. A friend of mine called wanting to know if I could help her with buying a signal booster for her new cabin in Big Bear. She's AT&T and it seems her signal tends to drop when she's there. I don't know anything about this kind of device but I'm pretty sure some of you do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to one she's thinking of buying, it was recommended by her sister.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/weboost-...&skuId=3247056

Thanks in advance!

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Signal boosters are a complex subject. You need to know the bands and standards used by the carrier in that location and buy a booster that's compatible with the carrier's technology. The first question to answer is, "Is there any place at the cabin where she gets a good signal?" If not, a booster will be very problematic.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Signal boosters are a complex subject. You need to know the bands and standards used by the carrier in that location and buy a booster that's compatible with the carrier's technology. The first question to answer is, "Is there any place at the cabin where she gets a good signal?" If not, a booster will be very problematic.
    Hi & thank you for your reply. Yes, she can get a signal but it's not very good. She can get calls & texts some of the time & only texts at other times. From your reply it sounds more complicated than just hooking up a signal booster & having it work.

Feedback Score
    Call Weboost tech support and talk to them. I live in an area with no signal in my house, but one bar if it was a good day on the roof. I bought a Weboost 4g booster for 899.99 and I get 4 to five bars anywhere in my house now. I am not sure the one you are looking at will help but they have a trial and return policy that is very good.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Weboost used to be Wilson Electronics and is one of the better companies. One of the issues is knowing what frequencies need to be boosted, since carriers don't use the same frequencies in all areas. Also, if you take AT&T for example, she be using 850 MHz for voice but 700 MHz for LTE data. If she wants both voice and high-speed data, the booster will have to take this into account.

Feedback Score
    That was why I said to call the tech support line. The booster I got works with t mobile and AT&T. Perfect voice and data on both carriers.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice. I called my friend to let her know before she buys something to talk to her carrier. I'll also let her know to call Weboost or whatever manufacturer she goes with too. Much appreciated!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus (Space Gray, 64GB); Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows tablet
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendall View Post
    Hi Everyone, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum so please excuse me if I'm not. A friend of mine called wanting to know if I could help her with buying a signal booster for her new cabin in Big Bear. She's AT&T and it seems her signal tends to drop when she's there. I don't know anything about this kind of device but I'm pretty sure some of you do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to one she's thinking of buying, it was recommended by her sister.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/weboost-...&skuId=3247056

Thanks in advance!
    I know TMobile offers signal boosters with a $25 down payment and no further charges so basically you get it for $25 but that's TMobile. There are ways to boost your signal for ATT, I know they have them. There's no way they wouldn't.
    "Not all that glitters is gold, not all who wander are lost." ~ JR Tolkien
    "The best you can do for another is not just share your riches but prove to him his own." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Feedback Score
    I called WeBoost today regarding a booster issue and had a very pleasant chat with a knowledgeable tech. Their equipment is tier 1, and their customer service is legendary in the electronics field.

My situation was, I bought an Amazon cradle booster for my car, but it didn't boost the signal. we figured out that the cradle antenna was not high enough to reach the iPhone 6s Plus antenna, therefore no signal transfer, no boost. I went out and bought another WeBoost system with an independent antenna, and have seen gains as high as 41DBm on the first day.

Amazon has some refurbished units that the tech said are fine, and work as well as the newer items. Your friend might save +/- $100 or so, going with the refurb, and Amazon has a great refund policy.

Feedback Score
    Whatever you get, make sure it uses Type N (1" O.D.) connectors and has a metal case. It will be $700+ but it might actually work.

The plastic boxes that use cable TV connectors have been a disaster for customers at the shop where I moonlight. We don't sell them but we occasionally tried to get them to work and it was futile.

Cell phone boosters are working right on the fringe of what the hardware is capable of, and cheapening them up made a lot of problems.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for all of your replies. I had some of the information wrong regarding my friend's situation. She has TMobile & it's her sister who has AT&T. TMobile is going to give her a signal booster for $25 with no further charges. Like SheGadgets said. AT&T is going to give her sister one (I think) for free. This is better than the $400 she thought she would originally have to spend. So, the plan is to get both boosters & install them. I asked her if she inquired if having 2 of these devices would interfere with each other. She was told they would run independent from each other.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    There are different types of devices that people call "boosters". The first is a signal repeater. This actually "boosts" an available cell signal. T-Mobile offers two different models of these. The other is a personal femto-cell. It connects to your broadband Internet and acts like a personal mini cell tower. T-Mobile offers one of these. If the cabin does not have broadband Internet service, she will need the repeater type of booster. T-Mobile's has two boxes, one goes in a window where it gets a decent signal and the other goes someplace where the signal is very bad and needs a boost.

Feedback Score
    I picked up one of the refurbished, discontinued Wilson Sleek 4G 460107 for $109 shipped and it's great. I have all four carriers and it has made a improvement on all of them.