Thread: Freedompop increases automatic top-up to $15

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Freedompop increases automatic top-up to $15

FreedomPop just amended their terms of service. I've copied below the relevant portion relating to top-ups. Looks like they will hit you with a $15 top-up BEFORE you go over your limit, when you get within 100MB of your limit (and if you have less than $2 credit on your account). I don't know if this applies if you have auto top-up set to "no", but I don't intend to find out the hard way.

FreedomPop uses an 'Automatic Top-Up' feature to ensure you are never left without broadband access when you exceed your subscribed Monthly Plan limits. The default top-up amount is $15.00. We may allow you to select a greater top-up dollar amount by using the My Account feature on our Site (or other feature that we may make available). In any billing month that your usage is within 100mb of your Monthly Plan broadband data allotment limit, your FreedomPop Account will be charged the automatic top-up amount using the registered payment method associated with your FreedomPop Account. As your broadband data use exceeds the broadband data allotment of your Monthly Plan, an amount equal to your total additional usage multiplied by the additional cost per megabyte as defined by your Monthly Plan, will be deducted from your FreedomPop Credit Account balance. When your FreedomPop Credit Account balance falls below $2.00, your registered payment method will be charged the applicable Automatic Top-Up amount as described above. This payment will occur each time your FreedomPop Account balance falls below $2.00 to prevent an interruption in the Broadband Service we provide you. If your registered payment method is declined, we will retry charging it every 2 days up to 4 times, after the charge is initially declined unless you have paid the charge in full before the day on which we next retry the charge. If the balance in your FreedomPop Account runs out and you have not provided us with a new functioning payment method, your access to the Broadband Service and Value Added Services will be suspended and your Broadband Service will be deemed inactive, as further described below. If you do not use your Account Credit for a period of 30 days, FreedomPop will place your Account Credit on inactive status. You can reactivate the Account Credit by following the reactivation link at https://freedompop.com/billing_overview.htm Account Credit on inactive status is not refundable[/B][/B]

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They will also top-up your account $5 now for turning off Automatic Top-Off.

Feedback Score
    >Looks like they will hit you with a $15 top-up BEFORE you go over your limit

I think it was always like this. If auto-topup is enabled, once you go below 100MB then it kicks in. If disabled, then data is shut off. This is because of the up to 3hr reporting lag (actually about a little over an hour when I checked).

Even if top-up is disabled, you can still go over your allotment and incur overage because of the reporting lag. The best way to guard against this is to sync your phone's data limit to the billing cycle, and set cut-off at 900MB.

Maybe the new TOS is the increased top-up amount. I don't know, since I never went over. If you regularly go over, then you should get a paid plan with higher allotment, since the per-GB overage cost for free account is expensive.

>They will also top-up your account $5 now for turning off Automatic Top-Off.

I don't see that in the TOS. Can you provide a link or a quote?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >Looks like they will hit you with a $15 top-up BEFORE you go over your limit

I think it was always like this. If auto-topup is enabled, once you go below 100MB then it kicks in. If disabled, then data is shut off..........
    Yes you are right it always has been that way and has always given rise to numerous complaints because people have thought they should be able to go right up your limit without anything happening. You never have been able to do that.

Feedback Score
    One thing that's worrying is that the TOS specifies that a balance below $2 also triggers the $15 auto-top-up. No mention what happens if auto-top-up is disabled. Not sure if that was in the TOS before, but as it stands, FP has the right to charge $15 for every free plan per the present TOS. That would suck.

Edit: On the second reading, I think that the "below $2" clause applies when you go below 100MB remaining, not just because your balance is $0 (as it is for every free plan). The TOS doesn't make it explicit, however, and there's wiggle room.
    Last edited by e.mote; 02-09-2016 at 09:07 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post

>They will also top-up your account $5 now for turning off Automatic Top-Off.

I don't see that in the TOS. Can you provide a link or a quote?
    New users are reporting that if you in your account settings disable Automatic Top-Off, you will see a popup about the $5 top-off to disable for "fraud and leakage".

Edit: I did a screenshot to show what would happen on one of my inactive accounts.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 8.26.56 AM.png
Views: 1703
Size:  46.3 KB

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully that won't extend to existing accounts that already have auto top-up disabled.

All the changes considered, FP is apparently tightening the screws on the freebies, which is fine, as long as users know about the changes. I think the increased versatility that comes with the addition of GSM plans more than offset the increased monetization. That said, we'll have to wait and see how FP handles its GSM phone freebies.

Feedback Score
    I have the auto top off because by the time I get that close to my limit, it's close to the end of the month and I'll lose the data from the top up. Now it cuts off at 900 Mb and I don't have to watch the meter or worry about overages.

Feedback Score
    From PrepaidPhoneNews:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016...to-top-to.html

"Customers who use auto-top up or pay $5 to turn it off need to keep their eyes on their account balance to avoid losing it. FreedomPop has a long standing policy of expiring plan balances after about 90 days. The FreedomPop site says balances expire after 30 days but in my experience it's more like 90 days. The good news is that you can get your expired balance back by clicking a reactivation link on your FreedomPop Billing Overview page. I don't know how that link is available after the balance expires but it seems to be at least 30 days."

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    @e.mote That is my concern. There was a big stink about people losing their balances about 9 months ago. I don't know if I trust my money in the account!

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto E5 Play, AT&T F160 flip, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    On my pre-existing devices, auto top-up stays set to "No", at no charge. On my newly ordered Mingle hotspot, I will have to deposit $5.00 if I want to set auto top-up to "No".

In the past, with auto top-up set to "No", I could be charged a $1.99 deposit if I went over my limit, but only if I actually went over the limit and did not already have sufficient funds on deposit. Then the 2 cents/MB overage would be pulled out of that $1.99 deposit.

If Freedompop can get a one-time input of $15 or $5 from many of their subscribers, that will be nice for their bottom line.

Feedback Score
    This company is so full of hidden fees and sneaky advertising. I'll admit I've considered their services, but it's really not a good deal at all.