Thread: Moto E vs LG Fuel and Hotspot feature.

Feedback Score

Moto E vs LG Fuel and Hotspot feature.

I'm upgrading from my 2 Moto V325s and want to transfer the numbers and balances to 3G (only) phones since I still only want to use standard PAYG (no monthly fees). I realize data is expensive, but I wouldn't be using a lot and want to use up my balances in any case. I've whittled it down to the Moto E or the LG Fuel. I know the Fuel as I have a UK version; it's a nice little phone that has served me well. I don't know the Moto E. Both phones have reviews that are all over the place such that I have little sense of which way to go. My first concern is reliability, features are secondary since I'm accepting these aren't flagship phones and I just want to do email every now and then when out of the house. But hotspotting does interest me. Can either of these do it, and is it permitted. I would probably be buying from the PagePlus website. The LG Ultimate 2 is interesting but I find myself shying away from a refurb. Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Moto E is a solid phone. It's made well, has decent specs for a cheap phone ($30 on my carrier, Cricket), and best of all has a long lasting battery. It's the "flagship" of cheapo phones. The older brother to it is the Moto G, and that is far better, but obviously you don't need all of the features if you're considering an LG optimus...

I don't know if those payg plans will work with smartphones like the moto e, even though the variant you speak of is 3g/1x only. If it does work, it's worlds better than the LG fuel, and you'll be very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    OK, thanks. I'll take a closer look at the Moto E. I can sacrifice a little pocketability if it's really a better phone.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly, the Moto E (1st gen CDMA) does have the capability to tether built in. However, it comes with Kit Kat (Android OS version 4.4.4) and won't get updated and has a locked bootloader so you can't root the phone.

When my Moto G was on 4.4.4, it would not successfully tether on Page Plus - gave an error, but when it was updated to 5.1.1, it was able to successfully tether with the built in capability.

So you may not be able to tether with the Moto E with the built in capability, but you may be able to use FoxFi/PdaNet+.

You can get the Moto G on eBay which will work on P+ - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motorola...item28109559b7

This phone is listed as new, other. It may come with Android OS version 4.3 or 4.4.2. If it does, you can use Sunshine to unlock the bootloader, which allows custom roms and rooting. It costs $25 and you would need to do it before the phone updates to a newer version of Android OTA.

The Moto G is a better device than the Moto E but lacks a SD card slot, if that matters. Also, it will update to 5.1.1, which has worked well for me.

Feedback Score
    The lack of the SD card may outweigh the other "plus" factors for me. Have to think about it.