Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Post Can Your Smartwatch Do This?

Name:  pagare-01-kickstarter.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  38.5 KB

"Oh, you're paying with your phone? That's cute. I'm paying with my watch."

That's what I'd be saying if the Pagaré NFC Smartstrap met its Kickstarter goal, shipped to Canada and worked with my credit card provider. Unfortunately it's not going to be shipping to Canada at launch, but when it does I'll be ready—because this nifty little hardware innovation only works with Pebble Time.

So what's a smartstrap? I'll let Pebble explain:

With the new smart accessory port on the back of Pebble Time and Pebble Time Steel, it is possible to create straps with electronics built-in to improve the capabilities of the watch itself. These hardware pieces are called smartstraps and can potentially host many electronic components from LEDs, to temperature sensors, or even external batteries to boost battery life.
    Pagaré uses the accessory port and a custom band to basically replicate your credit card on your wrist:

Name:  pagare-02-schematic.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  30.5 KB

The USB connector is for charging your watch, as the regular charging port on the back will be busy making mobile payments possible. You can manage your credit cards through the Pebble app on your phone, and for security a PIN will be required every time you strap your Pebble to your wrist. Best of all for this Android modder is that a rooted phone is irrelevant in this equation—all the secure elements for NFC payments are on the watch!

I've written before about the joys of wrist-based payments with JavaPay, and this smartstrap solution seems even more enticing. Can't say I'm especially hopeful for a Canadian release though, since as we all know, this country can't have nice things.

Source: Kickstarter
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    LG G6 followed by a Samsung S7 Edge as a backup.
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well then, count me in on this one! Looks like a great idea, and one I've been waiting on since getting my Time.

Feedback Score
    Wow! This is quite fascinating. I think i should be looking at the direction of the smartwatch.

Feedback Score
    Paying by smartwatch is way more convienant than digging out a wallet or phone. But Samsung is going to be the hands down winner on this front. NFC requires that retailers install compatable terminals. Samsung had eliminated this hurdle by a proprietary MST technology that works on almost any POS terminal. This ability has gone mostly unnoticed because it was available only on their latest flagship phones. Now they're bringing it to their Gear S3 smartwatch.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043949/
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearabl...artwatch-news/

Feedback Score
    Just curious, anyone heard of the Zeblaze Crystal?