Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: FBI Demands iPhone Backdoor from Apple

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21222 View Post
    The FBI doesn't need access to the files you have manually copied. It already has access to all the tracking data it wants and anything you have downloaded from the web, EVER. If they cared about you, they could track your every step, monitor your every call, voice and data and likely meet you at the store on your way home from work or school. Why would they also need the data on your phone? Everyone is in such a hurry to listen to big brother tell them they want and need their cooperation in order to keep them safe. Safe indeed... Meanwhile our freedoms are being whittled to next to nothing... So sad...
    You are making a very good point. The age of the smartphone has given law enforcement and governments a tremendous amount of information that they didn't have 20 years ago. It's actually a huge win for law enforcement. Our smartphones are spewing metadata all the time.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21222 View Post
    Meanwhile our freedoms are being whittled to next to nothing... So sad...
    Please enlighten me as to how your freedom is being whittled away. I'd LOVE to hear the explanation for that statement.

Even if the government had access to everything on your smartphone, what exactly would that prevent you from doing?

Before you go crying about how your precious freedoms are being whittled away, you should take a look at countries where people don't actually have freedoms. North Korea for example. Or how about places like Somalia?

Give me a break, your freedom is being taken away.

Device(s)
    Lumia 830
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
    Please enlighten me as to how your freedom is being whittled away. I'd LOVE to hear the explanation for that statement.
    Me too. I haven't noticed anything at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score

Even if the government had access to everything on your smartphone, what exactly would that prevent you from doing?

Before you go crying about how your precious freedoms are being whittled away, you should take a look at countries where people don't actually have freedoms. North Korea for example. Or how about places like Somalia?

Give me a break, your freedom is being taken away.
    Obviously when you compare what we have to North Korea, then our situation is better. But that's pointless to say because I have a different expectation of what is right.

And trust me. A backdoor to the iPhone would not only give the gov't access to your phone whenever they want it, but it's will also give hackers a way in too, as they are WAY more intelligent than anyone at the FBI.

The whole reason this is coming up, is because the FBI was too dumb to contact Apple right away before they screwed around with the phone and locked it permanently. Apple would have given them access (as they have done before). FBI is just looking to have someone cover up their mistake.
    But on the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

Muh Plan:
    U/L Canadawide Calling
    U/L Picture/Video/Text Messaging
    5 GB Data
    $55/month less 10% for BYOD

The Former Abbywack-A-Mole

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    **DoJ Wants Apple To Decrypt 12 More iPhones**

"The Wall Street Journal (paywalled) is reporting that the Department of Justice is seeking Apple's help in decrypting 12 other iPhones that may contain crime-related evidence. The cases are not identified, though a list of the 12 phones in question has come out, but it is not known what level of Apple assistance is required (i.e., how many of those cases are waiting on the FBI request for special firmware to be developed and to be used on "one more phone"). It appears Tim Cook's assertion that hundreds of requests are waiting on this software may not be a fabrication, and the goal is not about just one phone, but to set a precedent to unlock more phones.

As TechDirt (which also lists those 12 cases, a list which certainly does not encompass all the phones the Feds would like to peer into) puts it, "[O]nce again, Director Comey was flat out lying when he claimed the FBI has no interest in setting a precedent."
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j'vai View Post
    **DoJ Wants Apple To Decrypt 12 More iPhones**

"The Wall Street Journal (paywalled) is reporting that the Department of Justice is seeking Apple's help in decrypting 12 other iPhones that may contain crime-related evidence. The cases are not identified, though a list of the 12 phones in question has come out, but it is not known what level of Apple assistance is required (i.e., how many of those cases are waiting on the FBI request for special firmware to be developed and to be used on "one more phone"). It appears Tim Cook's assertion that hundreds of requests are waiting on this software may not be a fabrication, and the goal is not about just one phone, but to set a precedent to unlock more phones.

As TechDirt (which also lists those 12 cases, a list which certainly does not encompass all the phones the Feds would like to peer into) puts it, "[O]nce again, Director Comey was flat out lying when he claimed the FBI has no interest in setting a precedent."
    Indeed. Time to take countermeasures. Longer passcodes. turn off the fingerprint sensor. Encrypt comms (messages, phone calls) with the signal app or silent circle. Disable cloud backups. Use apps that provide an extra layer of encryption. Turn off your phone before crossing borders or potentially encountering police. Lock down app permissions. Destroy or reset your phone if necessary. Do not consent to any searches. If you backup to iTunes, encrypt your iTunes backups. Also encrypt your laptops/desktops and disable any cloud recovery feature.

If you need to share data, a hardware encrypted USB key (IronKey, Apricorn) through a courier service works pretty well. An extra layer of software encryption doesn't hurt.

Also put your sensitive credentials on a yubikey (2-factor auth tokens, gpg keys, ssh keys) or other smart card.
    Last edited by mch; 02-23-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    ^^
    You must have some serious *hit going on to be that paranoid.

I'm glad that I'm so boring that I don't care if the government looks into my phone.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

FBI Demands iPhone Backdoor from Apple

^^

I'm glad that I'm so boring that I don't care if the government looks into my phone.
    The more we all encrypt and take basic security measures with our mundane communications/data, the harder we make it for hackers and the governments of the world to invade everyone's privacy, and hence the safer we all are.

The government would be bored if they looked at the contents of my phone too. All those conversations with my wife about what groceries to get, lunch plans with colleagues, and other uninteresting matters.

So yeah, the 12-digit code on my iphone, gpg encrypted emails in my email accounts, correspondence with people with Signal/SilentCircle, Apricorn hardware encrypted USB key connected to my laptop, yubikeys on my keyring, etc. protect stuff of no interest to the FBI/NSA/CSIS at all.

Imagine a world where almost everyone took security seriously and encrypted/protected almost all data according to reasonable best practices. That world would be exceedingly difficult for attackers.
    Last edited by mch; 02-23-2016 at 11:38 PM.

Device(s)
    Lumia 830
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I think there is a level of security we all should consider and then there's going overboard. That's an individual decision but I, for one, will not lock down my life that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score
    ^^

You should be more worried about other people who exploit the backdoor on an iPhone to get at your data. Government is the least of your worries.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RightThere View Post
    You should be more worried about other people who exploit the backdoor on an iPhone to get at your data. Government is the least of your worries.
    Not concerned about that either.

Computers have been getting "exploited" for decades. I have personal information on my PC that runs Windows. I'm sure that's risky business too, yet I don't lose any sleep over it.

Do average people actually worry about this stuff? I'm only participating because I'm shocked that some of you seem genuinely concerned about getting "exploited" or "hacked".

Device(s)
    Lumia 830
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Computers have been getting "exploited" for decades. I have personal information on my PC that runs Windows. I'm sure that's risky business too, yet I don't lose any sleep over it.

Do average people actually worry about this stuff? I'm only participating because I'm shocked that some of you seem genuinely concerned about getting "exploited" or "hacked".
    I think it's easy for some, because something bad happens once or twice, to take that as it's going to happen to them also. Bad things happen. Always have, always will. Use common sense and don't lose sleep over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I don't use a passcode on my phone since they are annoying as hell and I will lock my vehicle or home to keep the general public out, since I said I don't care if the FBI or RCMP wants to read my emails or know my financial status but I don't want just random people in my stuff.
    I sleep quite well because I do everything I can to protect my data. There's always going to be exploits, weaknesses, etc. but it's pure apathy to use that as justification for ignoring all forms of security. That's like saying that you shouldn't wear your seatbelt because you'll die in a bad enough car wreck. A seatbelt is just like the PIN/password on your phone, either can be just enough to prevent something really awful from happening.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Device(s)
    Lumia 830
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    I sleep quite well because I do everything I can to protect my data. There's always going to be exploits, weaknesses, etc. but it's pure apathy to use that as justification for not protecting data. That's like saying that you shouldn't wear your seatbelt because you'll die in a bad enough car wreck. A seatbelt is just like the PIN/password on your phone, they can both just be enough to protect yourself.
    I don't think anyone is saying not to use a pin/password or a seatbelt, that is common sense. It's beyond that, or worrying that the Government is trying to spy on everyone or break into everyone's smartphone where it gets a bit much.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    I sleep quite well because I do everything I can to protect my data. There's always going to be exploits, weaknesses, etc. but it's pure apathy to use that as justification for ignoring all forms of security. That's like saying that you shouldn't wear your seatbelt because you'll die in a bad enough car wreck. A seatbelt is just like the PIN/password on your phone, either can be just enough to prevent something really awful from happening.
    I've been a firefighter for 10 years, we've had instances where people not wearing their seatbelts saved their lives in car wrecks and we've also had the opposite. So take that for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying not to use a pin/password or a seatbelt, that is common sense. It's beyond that, or worrying that the Government is trying to spy on everyone or break into everyone's smartphone where it gets a bit much.

Exactly.

I don't use a passcode on my phone because I find it annoying. I'm not telling other people not to use one though. Just like I wear a seat belt about 95% of the time. Sometimes I don't and that may or may not bite me in the butt. I understand keeping the general public out of your business. I don't understand being paranoid that the government might be spying on you. Chances are the government doesn't give a crap about you as long as you pay your taxes and aren't dealing drugs or killing people.

I don't worry about hackers hacking into my stuff either. If it happens, well I guess I'll deal with that if/when it happens. But to me the likelihood of it is so slim it doesn't outweigh the hassle of punching in a stupid passcode every time I get a text message.

Sometimes if I think of it when I'm travelling I'll put a passcode on my phone, but even then I usually forget because I just don't worry about that kind of crap.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast