Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Gains Not Coming From Sprint

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Gains Not Coming From Sprint

Surprising Sprint news in the T-Mobile earnings call today... it's AT&T, not Sprint, losing the most customers to T-Mobile.

"Contrary to the belief that most of the donation (of subscribers) in the industry is coming from Sprint, it's actually coming from AT&T". - T-Mobile CEO John Legere

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-t-...-idUSKCN0VQ17M

Anyone know where Sprint gains are coming from? Are they AT&T too?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    Surprising Sprint news in the T-Mobile earnings call today... it's AT&T, not Sprint, losing the most customers to T-Mobile.

"Contrary to the belief that most of the donation (of subscribers) in the industry is coming from Sprint, it's actually coming from AT&T". - T-Mobile CEO John Legere

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-t-...-idUSKCN0VQ17M

Anyone know where Sprint gains are coming from? Are they AT&T too?
    It could be. Has Sprint given a recent explanation on their adds and where they come from?

All speculation:
    Maybe they get them from a wide mix of places so they can't really pinpoint one area. Maybe a lot come from MVNOs of sorts so reporting it wouldn't be as headline grabbing as sniping from a big 4 carrier. Maybe Sprint is picking up more 'new' accounts - new businesses opening up lines or kids finally getting old enough for a phone?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Maybe they're toning it down because a merger is back on the table?

Feedback Score
    Some (probably a minimal amount) are coming from people being allowed to misuse Lifeline by doubling and tripling lines.

Feedback Score
    This isn't surprising at all actually. It has been rumored and speculated for a while now, by those analysts you love so much, that At&t would be the carrier suffering most against the 2 lower cost options. Their last earnings report indicates the same with At&t adding more prepaid users than postpaid users for the first time in a long time. With At&t's very liberal unlocking policy it makes it easier for anyone on At&t to switch to T-Mobile if they chose.

If Sprint and T-Mobile were smart about it they would stop attacking each other and both go after At&t. T-Mobile would stop going after Verizon also. Verizon wireless is almost untouchable so don't waste time, effort, money and resources attacking them. It's a no win. Go after the weaker 2nd place carrier. Neither Sprint nor T-Mobile can catch At&t but they could make some splashes against them.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Actually, it should probably be said that customer donations are coming from Sprint too, as they've stated they have a positive porting ratio with ALL carriers... just more are coming from AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    Actually, it should probably be said that customer donations are coming from Sprint too, as they've stated they have a positive porting ratio with ALL carriers... just more are coming from AT&T.
    Well this is kind of a useless statement. Anytime you add more customers than you lost your porting ratio should be positive from other carriers. I would highly suspect Sprints porting ratio from T-Mobile is positive to. It just depends what the number actually is. Not to mention it also depends on exactly where the port came from. A port from Cricket Wireless to Metro PCS would considered an At&t customer defection and would count in that. But it would not be as valuable as a single or multi line postpaid At&t account porting over to another T-Mobile postpaid account. Same with Sprint port ins. A boost to Metro PCS port in is not as valuable as a Sprint to T-Mobile port in. Or vice versa.

As for the merger I believe it will happen. Both Softbank and Deutsche Telekom want the deal to happen and the only thing holding it up is regulatory issues. I believe the country will elect a Republican president. Elections usually go in cycles like that. Rarely after an 8 year term does a candidate from the same party win the next presidential election.

Did you post this in the At&t forums also? Seems to be a more appropriate place for it.
    Last edited by soco150; 02-17-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soco150 View Post
    Well this is kind of a useless statement. Anytime you add more customers than you lost your porting ratio should be positive from other carriers. I would highly suspect Sprints porting ratio from T-Mobile is positive to.
    I don't think you understand "porting ratio"? T-Mobile has more numbers coming FROM Sprint than going TO Sprint. They can't both have a positive port ratio to each other.

“Porting ratios have been in our favor vs. the competition for seven consecutive quarters"
    http://investor.t-mobile.com/File/In...yFile=26904881

He also noted that T-Mobile's porting ratios with all of the nation's Tier 1 carriers remain positive--meaning that AT&T (NYSE: T), Verizon and Sprint (NYSE: S) are all losing customers to T-Mobile. T-Mobile is generally the only major carrier that reports porting ratios.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ile/2015-07-09

Feedback Score
    With At&t's very liberal unlocking policy it makes it easier for anyone on At&t to switch to T-Mobile if they chose.
    Totally agree with you on that. Also, T-Mobile has an advantage over Sprint when it comes phone portability. It's easier to use a Sprint phone on a competitor's network than vice versa.

Feedback Score
    Not a bad earnings call though from T-Mobile. Good job.
    Last edited by soco150; 02-17-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bibbin View Post
    Totally agree with you on that. Also, T-Mobile has an advantage over Sprint when it comes phone portability. It's easier to use a Sprint phone on a competitor's network than vice versa.
    Yea that is true. Byod on Sprint can be a giant pain in the butt.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yea that is true. Byod on Sprint can be a giant pain in the butt.
    They are also very hard to get phones unlocked from. VZW come unlocked as it is and ATT as already pointed out has a very nice unlocking policy (finally).

TMobile and Sprint actually lag on this front. Sprint is the worst, and generally their phones don't have nearly enough bands to be effective on other carriers anyway.

To the positive or negative amounts for porting. You could easily have a total number that is positive for port ins, say 100,000. But let's say that you actually lost people to a specific carrier, like 30,000 to Sprint. You still have a positive overall port in at 70,000, but negative to one carrier.

Feedback Score
    I gotcha. Well that last story kinda confirms what I said about T-Mobile should scrap the Verizon attacks and focus on At&t.

You didn't answer the last question though. Wouldn't this be better served to also be posted in the At&t forums? I figure you would want to gloat to them also. Of course passionately and inspired and accepting of all other opinions and facts that differ from your own.
    That last story is from July of 2015, so no it doesn't confirm that T-Mobile should scrap Verizon attacks. Verizon is clearly scrambling to find ways to compete. They joined the $650, we'll pay you to switch club. They are currently offering and have in the past offered the extra 2gb/month to customers on higher tiered data plans. Then Vzw created that ridiculous red balls commercial. Vzw may be arrogant, it may have poor customer service, higher pricing on average, but T-Mobile is definitely causing Vzw some concern too. So to say that T-Mobile should leave Vzw alone is silly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam73065 View Post
    That last story is from July of 2015, so no it doesn't confirm that T-Mobile should scrap Verizon attacks. Verizon is clearly scrambling to find ways to compete. They joined the $650, we'll pay you to switch club. They are currently offering and have in the past offered the extra 2gb/month to customers on higher tiered data plans. Then Vzw created that ridiculous red balls commercial. Vzw may be arrogant, it may have poor customer service, higher pricing on average, but T-Mobile is definitely causing Vzw some concern too. So to say that T-Mobile should leave Vzw alone is silly.
    No it's not. Verizon is always going to get there's. No matter what. Look at it from a sports analogy. Verizon can be your Kevin Durant, young Kobe, Michael Jordan, Lebron James Steph Curry, any of them you wish them to. They are always going to get their points no matter what. Your game plan to win is to limit what the people around him do. The same can be said here. At&t has for years tried attacking Verizon. Now all they do is react to whatever they do. You can call the red balls commercial ridiculous but it was effective. Just as their better matters campaign. Highly effective and it plays right into what Sprint and T-Mobile claim. All of their claims pit their network size and performance against Verizon. You see their own company press releases saying we are getting close to Verizon is size and reliability, we scored the same as Verizon did last year. This is saying in essence Verizon's network is indeed better. So the better matters campaign is brilliant even the competition agrees with their claim that their network is better. Why waste time and money going after a company you cannot hurt, go after the one you can. I am an At&t customer and I'm saying that. They can take fsr more customers from At&t than they will Verizon. Same with Sprint.

As far as this news even as an At&t user I think it's great. It's good to have 4 strong carriers as I said before. Also it may wake up At&t and get them to just stop reacting to Verizon and pay attention to everyone else.

Feedback Score
    Well this is kind of a useless statement. Anytime you add more customers than you lost your porting ratio should be positive from other carriers. I would highly suspect Sprints porting ratio from T-Mobile is positive to. It just depends what the number actually is. Not to mention it also depends on exactly where the port came from. A port from Cricket Wireless to Metro PCS would considered an At&t customer defection and would count in that. But it would not be as valuable as a single or multi line postpaid At&t account porting over to another T-Mobile postpaid account. Same with Sprint port ins. A boost to Metro PCS port in is not as valuable as a Sprint to T-Mobile port in. Or vice versa.

As for the merger I believe it will happen. Both Softbank and Deutsche Telekom want the deal to happen and the only thing holding it up is regulatory issues. I believe the country will elect a Republican president. Elections usually go in cycles like that. Rarely after an 8 year term does a candidate from the same party win the next presidential election.

Did you post this in the At&t forums also? Seems to be a more appropriate place for it.
    I don't see a merger coming unless both Sprint and T-Mobile sacrifice some spectrum to the other two carriers. If a merger were to happen, I could some aws from tmobile being given to verizon, and some pcs given to at $t. The FCC could also restrict how much spectrum they would get at the 600 auction. If tmobile and sprint were allowed to merge with all their spectrum, they would be at an unfair advantage when new phones come out that support 3X carrier aggregation. Sorry if I'm wrong, but this is likely why a merger hasn't already happened.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast