Thread: Moto E 3g (XT830c) voice, text, wifi working, MMS and mobile data not

Device(s)
    Motorola W385
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Moto E 3g (XT830c) voice, text, wifi working, MMS and mobile data not

Long time standard pay as you go W815 user, I picked up a cheap Kmat Net10 Moto E 1 gen (XT830C) 3g smartphone.

I don't make that many phone calls, so paygo works fine for me. Initial got the smartphone for a number of features that I can do stand alone, but there are a couple of things I would like to have the option of doing when wifi is not available.

The first thing I did when I got the phone was turn off mobile data and got Wifi working.

I then had PP switch me from my old W815 to the Moto E. I have used it for a month with voice and text working without any problems, but I didn't receive a MMS sent to me. I now would like to get MMS and mobile data working.

I turn on "Data enabled", and I added "3G Watchdog" to keep track of my mobile usage (there has been any). If I turn off wifi, the phone will NOT connect to the Internet or do MMS.

If I look at About phone, I get

Model number: Moto E
    Android version: 4.4.4
    Baseband version: MSM8610BP_1803.346.31.00R,TRAC_CMDA_CUST
    Kernel version: 3.4.42-g6bc7ff3 [email protected] June 2014
    System version: 21.12.40.condor_tracfone.trac_cmda.en.US:tracefone
    Build number:KXC21.5-40

About > Status > Network

Mobile network type: CDMA - 1xRTT
    Service state: Voice: In service / Data: In service
    Roaming: Not roaming
    Mobile network state: Disconnected
    PRL version: 59475
    IP address: Unavailable (this get assigned when wifi is turn on)

There is NO APN menu on this phone, and if I try doing any of the "##command## like "*#*#data*#*#", the phone accepts the "##" comamnd, but then nothing happens (the testing program doesn't run). The only special code that seems to work is IMEI "*#06#", so it looks like Verizon is trying to lock out changes to the system.

I was hoping to not have to root this phone to get it working.

Any ideas?

Carl

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    First, unless something has changed, you won't be able to root that phone.

You could try uninstalling 3G Watchdog. I don't think you need it, since you can restrict background data usage on Android and you need to keep data turned off when you're not using it on the PAYGO plans.

You should be seeing CDMA - EvDo in status for 3G.

You may need to toggle data off and on in the OLAM or have CS reset data.

Device(s)
    Motorola W385
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score

Solved my problem

Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    First, unless something has changed, you won't be able to root that phone.

You could try uninstalling 3G Watchdog. I don't think you need it, since you can restrict background data usage on Android and you need to keep data turned off when you're not using it on the PAYGO plans.

You should be seeing CDMA - EvDo in status for 3G.

You may need to toggle data off and on in the OLAM or have CS reset data.
    Thanks for the reply.

I noticed under Service Features on my PagePlus dashboard that I didn't have data/mms. Since I only used voice and text, I never need data or MMS on my old flip phone, I never noticed that I didn't have that feature turn on. I when to the Manage Service Features and tried to turn data on, but when I hit the "Save" button, it reply with a message that it failed to update the request (but it did show that DATA/MMS on the status page, but still nothing on the phone).

I contact PP, and they were able to update my account, but they made me turn my phone OFF before they did the update, so using the "Manage Service Features" might only work if you have the phone off.

After rebooting, and then turning on mobile data, I got a 3G icon on the message bar. I then found that data and MMS are both now working. From reading the forums and the Internet, it wasn't clear to me if the Moto E was going to display an Icon on the message bar if I got 1X, 3G or 4G data. I read the Moto E manual several times, and no where in it does it says that getting a data signal will display an Icon.

Note, if I have Wifi and mobile data both on, I get the 3G icon, but icon is very dim, and if download something, it seems to use the Wifi connection. If Wifi is off, then the 3G icon is nice and bright.

While I don't need the 3G Watchdog app to get 3G or data, I using it to help me limit how much 3G I use. So far it seems to work fine.

While I wasn't planning on rooting the Moto E, it not good news to hear that it not possible to do so. While I found a way to input an APN data set (via a widget), I haven't been able to find a way to display what the current APN values being used (and if I input a new APN data set, that it being used). I installed the APN app, but it claims that to made it work, you have to be rooted. Before contacting PP, I reset everything back to the default values.

Now that PP has updated my account (while that happen right away, the update to the dashboard took several hours), 3G data and MMS both started working right away.

Here are the network values on my phone for no Wifi, Wifi only, mobile data only, Wifi and mobile data:

First, my Mobile network type has now switched to: CDMA - EvDo rev. A

Second, the Service state, Roaming and PRL version didn't change.

No Wifi or data
    IP address: Unavailable

with Wifi only
    IP address: 192.168.1.71 (from my local router)

with mobile data only
    Mobile network state: Connected
    IP address: 10.233.x.x (from Verizon)

Wifi and mobile data on (and in range of my router)
    IP address: my Wifi IP address