Thread: Phone antenna band comparison

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Phone antenna band comparison

So in the Fall I will be looking for a new phone. I have an iPhone 6 right now. It of course does not have band 12 support. I am most likely getting an iPhone 7, when it is released. I have read some things saying that iPhone antennas are not as good as Android Flagships. Now if I can get better signal from an android then I will switch. Any comparisons from the iPhone 6s with say a Galaxy S6 or 7? Has anyone noticed this? Are there facts to back this up?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jaweather15 View Post
    So in the Fall I will be looking for a new phone. I have an iPhone 6 right now. It of course does not have band 12 support. I am most likely getting an iPhone 7, when it is released. I have read some things saying that iPhone antennas are not as good as Android Flagships. Now if I can get better signal from an android then I will switch. Any comparisons from the iPhone 6s with say a Galaxy S6 or 7? Has anyone noticed this? Are there facts to back this up?
    I don't think there really are any real facts. Phone RF performance is highly subjective, so many many variables that it's very hard to tell just how well they stack up to one another. For instance phone A. could perform terribly in one place while phone B. works great, and then in another place phone A. might work better than phone B. That's the nature of the RF beast.

As far as iPhone 6S and S6 go, they're in the same ballpark, again one does better then the other at various different things and I think they come out to a tie in the end. This also depends on the network that the phones are on. I do believe T-Mobile Samsung devices are programmed to lie about signal strength quite a bit as opposed to the same device on AT&T, which is yet another factor because it may hold onto signal longer if it thinks it's stronger than it really is.

In the end I think pretty much all the more recent phones perform pretty well in the RF department, including iPhone 6 and up models. I find it not worth worrying about anymore (unlike just a few generations ago).

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Moto X Pure has band 12 and Android Marshmallow for $399 at Best Buy
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What about Blackberries with the Paratek antenna?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if there are comparison facts available, but rather just what people have experienced. I'm in the "iPhone antennas are meh" category. There are a few buildings I'll walk into where my 6+ will fall back to HSPA+ or even EDGE while nearly any Android device would stay on usable LTE (all in non-band 12 areas). I've read of some people swearing by the iPhone's antenna, so YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    I don't think there really are any real facts. Phone RF performance is highly subjective, so many many variables that it's very hard to tell just how well they stack up to one another. For instance phone A. could perform terribly in one place while phone B. works great, and then in another place phone A. might work better than phone B. That's the nature of the RF beast.

As far as iPhone 6S and S6 go, they're in the same ballpark, again one does better then the other at various different things and I think they come out to a tie in the end. This also depends on the network that the phones are on. I do believe T-Mobile Samsung devices are programmed to lie about signal strength quite a bit as opposed to the same device on AT&T, which is yet another factor because it may hold onto signal longer if it thinks it's stronger than it really is.

In the end I think pretty much all the more recent phones perform pretty well in the RF department, including iPhone 6 and up models. I find it not worth worrying about anymore (unlike just a few generations ago).
    There was an issue a few years back where iPhones were reporting better signals (Bars) than other phones at the same location. This was when I was with AT&T. I recall that the iOS was recalibrated so that fewer bars were displayed at lower signal strengths. For instance, a signal of -119 might display 2 bars, but on other devices it was only 1 bar. The best way to check signal reception is with Test Mode of course.

By the way, on my iPhone 6s plus, -114 is 2 bars, -115 is one bar. I've also seen signals as low as -138 before going to No Service.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Just a observation but most of the reception complaints on the T-Mobile support site seem to come from people with iPhones.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    one thing that i have noticed over the years using many different phones is sometimes one specific(not one model but one physical handset) could have particularly good or bad signal properties. i think soemtime you just get lucky and end up with a special phones with better than normal radio characteristics.

that said on average i have found most motorola and LG handsets to be better than the average. and samsung and apple to be below average.

for t-mobile you would definitely want a phone with band 12(700mhz) for best RF performance which means for iphones 6S/6S plus or one of the most recent android models.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've found that plastic phones have the best rf performance. The difference is minimal though and there aren't any flagships that you'd want made of plastic.. M