Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Considering switching back to Verizon after TMobile but have questions...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus (Space Gray, 64GB); Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows tablet
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Considering switching back to Verizon after TMobile but have questions...

1. They say they'll pay $650 to switch. Obviously there's a catch - is that ONLY for customers with contracts? Basically buying you out of the contract like what TMobile does.

2. Technically I'm still signing a contract with Verizon because of making monthly payments, right?

3. In this "contract", am I required to keep my phone for the full 2 years like the old grandfather plans?

4. VZW.com has a data calculator but I'm not sure (because they only use estimates) how much data I would really need to buy if I did switch. I went through my Unlimited Data plan on TMobile this past month with like 50GB of data roughly but I never turn on wifi. Any ideas?

5. Can you really bring whatever phone you want to VZW now? On their website they claim to be able to give you a SIM card for whatever phone you have. Real? False Ads?

Thanks
    "Not all that glitters is gold, not all who wander are lost." ~ JR Tolkien
    "The best you can do for another is not just share your riches but prove to him his own." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SheGadgets View Post
    1. They say they'll pay $650 to switch. Obviously there's a catch - is that ONLY for customers with contracts? Basically buying you out of the contract like what TMobile does.
    The catch is that you have to trade in your old phone and get a new one on a device payment plan.

2. Technically I'm still signing a contract with Verizon because of making monthly payments, right?
    Correct. The difference between a traditional contract and a device payment plan is that the contract increases your monthly bill by the same amount no matter what, but a DPP only increases your bill by exactly as much is necessary to reimburse Verizon for your particular phone. You're no longer subsidizing the more expensive devices if you get a cheaper device, basically.

3. In this "contract", am I required to keep my phone for the full 2 years like the old grandfather plans?
    No. You're only required to pay off the phone.

Notably, if you buy a Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge or an iPhone 6s/Plus, it works a little differently: You can trade it in after paying 50% of the price, get the new model, and then restart your monthly payment schedule from 0.

4. VZW.com has a data calculator but I'm not sure (because they only use estimates) how much data I would really need to buy if I did switch. I went through my Unlimited Data plan on TMobile this past month with like 50GB of data roughly but I never turn on wifi. Any ideas?
    Go a month on T-Mobile with Wi-Fi on to get an idea of your typical data usage. Make sure to add the data used in Binge On and Music Freedom to your reported total, because Verizon doesn't zero-rate that data like T-Mobile does. If you use a lot of data, either stay with T-Mobile, suck it up and buy the appropriate, expensive Verizon Plan, or buy a Verizon grandfathered unlimited data plan on eBay.

5. Can you really bring whatever phone you want to VZW now? On their website they claim to be able to give you a SIM card for whatever phone you have. Real? False Ads?

Thanks
    You can bring a phone to Verizon as long as it's an unlocked VoLTE phone that supports at least one of their LTE bands, preferably Band 13. There are reports of people using Band 4 only devices on Verizon successfully, but only as long as they're within XLTE coverage, which has a LOT of gaps. I suppose Band 2 could work the same way, but it's still VERY rare to encounter Band 2.
    Last edited by VVivian; 03-17-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Incorrect information about the GSM unlocked iPhone 5s and 5c.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1: Yes, there's a "catch." They'll only pay up to $650 per line, aka a maximum of $350 ETF (which is what people who just renewed a 2 year contract would be charged by their old carrier) & a max $300 trade in for your old phone (not sure if trading in a phone that's on 2 year is required) or a max of $650 worth of installment payments (this requires you trade in the exact phone you were paying installments on, as your forced buyout will show on your bill what device it is.)

2: You will be signing a "Retail Installment Agreement." This is a contract, yes, but there is no actual punishment for getting out of it early, you pay the same amount of money you promised to pay regardless of if you do that over 24 months, or 1 day.

3: No. If you choose an iPhone 6s/6s Plus, or a Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, you may trade in your device to Verizon after 12 payments have been made and start a new installment for a new phone. This is an official deal/policy, just do some googling. Obviously you won't get any trade in value for the phone, as you're being let out of your installment $ signing a new one.

4: I would dig into your phone settings & see what apps or services are using the most data. Then see which of those apps that you would refrain from using cellular data on if you didn't have unlimited, and which apps you would still use on cellular, but use less. Subtract that data from your overall usage & you have a pretty good idea of what you use in a month. I'd do this for the past 3-6 months of usage to get an average.

5: No. If you can, get a phone from VZW. If you don't want to or prefer to bring your own device, make sure that it has both CDMA & Verizon's LTE bands. Once again, googling is your friend, although the only non-VZW devices I know of that can operate on VZW with some degree of carrier-certified functionality are the Moto X Pure & the Nexus 6/5X/6P.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    the only non-VZW devices I know of that can operate on VZW with some degree of carrier-certified functionality are the Moto X Pure & the Nexus 6/5X/6P.
    And all unlocked iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, and 6s Plus units. They all have Bands 2, 4, and 13 as well as VoLTE support. My parents took their T-Mobile iPhone 6s Plus units to Verizon with no problem except their devices showing as "NON VZW" with blank images next to them in My Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    And all unlocked iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, and 6s Plus units. They all have Bands 2, 4, and 13 as well as VoLTE support. My parents took their T-Mobile iPhone 6s Plus units to Verizon with no problem except their devices showing as "NON VZW" with blank images next to them in My Verizon.
    Correct. My mother's AT&T iPhone 6 Plus shows as NON VZW on myVerizon as well. Forgot to mention this.

Feedback Score
    Verizon follows AT&T and T-Mobile with BOGO offer on Samsung Galaxy S7

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-s7/2016-03-17

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone who answered these questions. That definitely cleared it up for me! Still weighing my options but leaning on staying with TMobile.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone who answered these questions. That definitely cleared it up for me! Still weighing my options but leaning on staying with TMobile.

Perhaps you can shed some light on why you're considering switching to Verizon? If you're leaning to stay with T-Mobile, it seems that your should be "satisfied" enough with T-Mobile...
    - Chokaay

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chokaay View Post
    Perhaps you can shed some light on why you're considering switching to Verizon? If you're leaning to stay with T-Mobile, it seems that your should be "satisfied" enough with T-Mobile...
    Exactly. OP, why do you want to go to Verizon from T-Mobile? Is it because T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage in some states? Or something else? You seem to be satisfied with it, and in my opinion, T-Mobile is a much better deal, with the amount of data you get for the price you pay. Verizon costs $80 a month for 3GB of SHARED data, while T-Mobile is $65 for 6GB each, plus binge on, music freedom, Simple Global, and mobile without borders.

If you have a family you can even get 4 lines for $37.50 each with unlimited text and data worldwide, and unlimited talk text and 4g lte data in the us canada and mexico. I'm not trying to force you to stay with T-Mobile, I'm just very curious as to why you'd want to leave.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fflip8 View Post
    Verizon costs $80 a month for 3GB of SHARED data
    Nope. The Verizon Plan Medium is $45/month base plus $20/month per phone, then MINUS employee/student discount.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  27.9 KB

T-Mobile doesn't offer discounts anymore. I know people who actually switched back to Verizon because T-Mobile's discontinuation of discounts makes Verizon cheaper for them.

For example, two people who use just over 2 GB/month combined. Monthly T-Mobile bill: $80/month subtotal for 2 GB each. Monthly Verizon bill: $72.25 subtotal for 3 GB shared with a 15% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by fflip8 View Post
    If you have a family you can even get 4 lines for $37.50 each with unlimited text and data worldwide, and unlimited talk text and 4g lte data in the us canada and mexico.
    Deceptive wording. For 3 or 4 lines, it's $50 per line, with the fourth line free.

Views: 1710
Size:  21.4 KB

It gets even more complicated with T-Mobile's unlimited data plan.

If you're just getting one line, it's $95/month.

Views: 1521
Size:  25.7 KB

And if you're getting two lines, it's $120/month, or $60/month each.

Views: 1574
Size:  28.3 KB

For an "uncarrier," T-Mobile sure does have some very carrier-like pricing. Getting 1/4 the network access (just one line) costs nearly 80% of the price of quadruple the access? Wow.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile doesn't offer discounts anymore. I know people who actually switched back to Verizon because T-Mobile's discontinuation of discounts makes Verizon cheaper for them.

For example, two people who use just over 2GB/month combined. Monthly T-Mobile bill: $80/month subtotal for 2 GB each. Monthly Verizon bill: $72.25 subtotal for 3GB shared with a 15% discount.
    (The OP uses way more than 2GB)
    The OP also never said they had any employee/student discount, so I'm assuming they don't have one. It will still come out at $80/month for 6GB on VZ, and $65 on T-Mobile (Plus free youtube/netflix/hulu/etc, and free music streaming)

Deceptive wording. For 3 or 4 lines, it's $50 per line, with the fourth line free.
Views: 1710
Size:  21.4 KB
    Yeah, sorry I didn't state that although 4 lines IS $37.50 a line, 3 lines will still total $150 a month.
    It gets even more complicated with T-Mobile's unlimited data plan.

If you're just getting one line, it's $95/month.
    I do agree that $95 is a little high, but Verizon doesn't have an Unlimited data plan, and if the OP uses a lot of data, and is a single line user, and wants to stay on T-Mobile and not use Metro PCS ($60/m UDP), it's cheaper than 12GB (best case scenario) is on Verizon. (Since the OP uses around 50GB WITHOUT WiFi, I'm assuming between 50% and 75% (More or less) of the usage could be while at home/work/school). Remember, this is the OP we're all referring to, not the average Verizon user. And to add icing to the cake, there's no overages on T-Mobile, which are a big problem on VZ.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

For example, two people who use just over 2 GB/month combined. Monthly T-Mobile bill: $80/month subtotal for 2 GB each. Monthly Verizon bill: $72.25 subtotal for 3 GB shared with a 15% discount.

T-Mobile's new Simple Choice plans allows for discounts again. That's how people are getting the current 4-line Unlimited LTE promotion ($150 + tax/mo promo price) for $127/mo... or even less, depending on your discount.

Feedback Score
    The Verizon Plan Medium is $45/month base plus $20/month per phone, then MINUS employee/student discount.

Doesn't Verizon only apply the discount to the main $45 data plan, not the $20 / month / phone charge? In which the case the total in your example would be $78.25.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I only considered it because of the coverage but I've made the decision to stick with TMobes. And TMobile when I was working there, I did get an employee discount - a HUGE one. I had 75% off of my bill and was basically paying $25/month for unlimited everything (I didn't get my iPhone through TMobile though, I bought it from Apple so I wasn't making payments). I don't work there anymore since my manager thought I was worthless and a junkie which is a pretty funny story if you ever care to hear about it, but yes I was getting an awesome discount on service. And you guys are right about VZW's prices - I'd be paying the same amount every month for only 3GB worth of data with them vs TMobes where I pay $98/month for truly unlimited data without throttling. But thanks to everyone who helped me with this, I certainly appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    Keep tmobile 6hey are really cool but there is no reason to not usr WiFi as you can go to a cheeper plan and it is crazy not to use WiFi when you have the option. Give your money to a cumpony that is smaller if you can. I am a fan of tmobile, switching is mot a good idea. Verizon costs more to. That Bering said I may switch from Verizon to sprint.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast