Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Considering switching back to Verizon after TMobile but have questions...

Feedback Score
    What you all think about sprint

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus (Space Gray, 64GB); Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows tablet
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech guy4 View Post
    Eh to be honest, I wish Sprint the best, but I have a feeling they're going to be eaten up by VZW, AT&T and TMobile before ya know it. Now, they may be better off than I think but all I know is the president of the company tried to buy TMobile and John Legere (s/p?) showed the guy TMobile's revenue and he kind of basically backed out of the conference. Sprint couldn't afford to buy TMobile. But I do hope that VZW and AT&T at least don't buy them up without warning.
    "Not all that glitters is gold, not all who wander are lost." ~ JR Tolkien
    "The best you can do for another is not just share your riches but prove to him his own." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Keep tmobile 6hey are really cool but there is no reason to not usr WiFi as you can go to a cheeper plan and it is crazy not to use WiFi when you have the option. Give your money to a cumpony that is smaller if you can. I am a fan of tmobile, switching is mot a good idea. Verizon costs more to. That Bering said I may switch from Verizon to sprint.
    Since the majority of people in the United States have data caps on their home WiFi, there is a reason not to use it on your phones. I know AT&T is 150gb/250gb, Comcast is 300gb (not in every area yet), suddenlink is 250gb, and Cox if I'm not mistaken has flexible plans up to 2tb so they're not much of an issue. Otherwise the only major isps that don't cap data are twc charter and Google fiber. (all I can think of at the moment)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SheGadgets View Post
    And you guys are right about VZW's prices - I'd be paying the same amount every month for only 3GB worth of data with them vs TMobes where I pay $98/month for truly unlimited data without throttling.
    T-Mo is not "truly unlimited data". They soft-cap and you can't tether. If you didn't add "truly" you could probably get away with that statement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by publicjesse View Post
    T-Mo is not "truly unlimited data". They soft-cap and you can't tether. If you didn't add "truly" you could probably get away with that statement.
    Not true on some older (now unavailable) plans like the "unlimited for two" they ran last year.

Tethering allowed, truly unlimited, no soft cap that I've run into. If the soft cap is there, it's "yuuuuge".

Plenty of us out here with these plans.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

False on both accounts.

T-Mobile reserve the right to de-prioritize your connection on congested towers after you reach 25GB each month. If you don't connect to any congested towers, or don't reach 25GB/mo, then you don't have to worry. Even if you DO reach 25GB/mo, you don't have to worry about de-prioritization unless you're in a network congested area. Once switch to a tower that can handle its load, your speeds go back up to normal LTE speeds for that area. This is the same policy as with AT&T (24GB/mo) and Sprint (23GB/mo).

Tethering/HotSpot is included with all Unlimited LTE plans at no additional charge. Current Simple Choice Unlimited LTE plans have 14GB/mo of LTE tethering, while grandfathered Simple Choice Unlimited LTE plans have either 7GB/mo or 5GB/mo (depending on which plan you are on). Once you reach the limit, your speed will be slowed to 2G speeds (although sometimes it may be faster).
    - Chokaay

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    It's all about location, location, location. Sprint can be very good... or very bad (just like all the other carriers).

I had them for years and they USED to be pretty good back when SERO was popular... but then their service became unbearably poor in SoCal (around 2009-2010) so I switched to Verizon at that time. Their customer service was ALWAYS subpar IMO.

But that's my experience in the areas that I've been to and frequent. The only one that can really decide if Sprint works for you... is YOU.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chokaay View Post
    False on both accounts.

T-Mobile reserve the right to de-prioritize your connection on congested towers after you reach 25GB each month. If you don't connect to any congested towers, or don't reach 25GB/mo, then you don't have to worry. Even if you DO reach 25GB/mo, you don't have to worry about de-prioritization unless you're in a network congested area. Once switch to a tower that can handle its load, your speeds go back up to normal LTE speeds for that area. This is the same policy as with AT&T (24GB/mo) and Sprint (23GB/mo).

Tethering/HotSpot is included with all Unlimited LTE plans at no additional charge. Current Simple Choice Unlimited LTE plans have 14GB/mo of LTE tethering, while grandfathered Simple Choice Unlimited LTE plans have either 7GB/mo or 5GB/mo (depending on which plan you are on). Once you reach the limit, your speed will be slowed to 2G speeds (although sometimes it may be faster).

Your first paragraph agrees with my first statement, that they soft cap, and then defines soft caps. I don't understand why you would say it is false.

Second paragraph is however a valid correction to what I misstated: they do allow tether, but to be clear, not UNLIMITED tethering without (what some would consider uselessly small) softcaps.

This discussion is on the Verizon forum, and Verizon is distinct with their UDPs in that they are indeed "TRULY" unlimited, not softcapped, and with unlimited tethering an option (whether free or paid depending on your choice of device).

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Your first paragraph agrees with my first statement, that they soft cap, and then defines soft caps. I don't understand why you would say it is false.

Second paragraph is however a valid correction to what I misstated: they do allow tether, but to be clear, not UNLIMITED tethering without (what some would consider uselessly small) softcaps.

This discussion is on the Verizon forum, and Verizon is distinct with their UDPs in that they are indeed "TRULY" unlimited, not softcapped, and with unlimited tethering an option (whether free or paid depending on your choice of device).

Actually it doesn't. There is an important difference between deprioritization and soft cap: one allows you to carry on using data at full-speed in non-congested areas, the other throttles you to a lower speed once you hit a predetermined limit (i.e. 25GB/mo) regardless of what tower you're on and how congested it is. There are several posts of people on T-Mobile using 200GB/mo without any slow-down... at the same time there are some posts of people using around 30GB/mo then being throttled during peak hours (but not off-peak hours) since they live/work in dense urban areas.

While it is true Verizon's UDP has/had no such restriction, Verizon isn't offering UDP to new or existing customers anymore. Those who want Verizon UDP would need to find someone who is willing to part with their UDP (often for a fee of several hundred to over a thousand dollars), then "convince" Verizon CS to do an AOL to your account (of which I believe Verizon has now put some additional restrictions on transferring UDP to personal accounts). Since Verizon's UDP isn't widely available to everybody (or not everybody can/is willing to afford it), most of the public demanding Unlimited LTE will have to make due with either AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or certain MVNO's Unlimited LTE plans at this time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chokaay View Post
    Actually it doesn't. There is an important difference between deprioritization and soft cap: one allows you to carry on using data at full-speed in non-congested areas, the other throttles you to a lower speed once you hit a predetermined limit (i.e. 25GB/mo) regardless of what tower you're on and how congested it is. There are several posts of people on T-Mobile using 200GB/mo without any slow-down... at the same time there are some posts of people using around 30GB/mo then being throttled during peak hours (but not off-peak hours) since they live/work in dense urban areas.

While it is true Verizon's UDP has/had no such restriction, Verizon isn't offering UDP to new or existing customers anymore. Those who want Verizon UDP would need to find someone who is willing to part with their UDP (often for a fee of several hundred to over a thousand dollars), then "convince" Verizon CS to do an AOL to your account (of which I believe Verizon has now put some additional restrictions on transferring UDP to personal accounts). Since Verizon's UDP isn't widely available to everybody (or not everybody can/is willing to afford it), most of the public demanding Unlimited LTE will have to make due with either AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, or certain MVNO's Unlimited LTE plans at this time.
    All of this... Just google "soft cap deprioritization" and you will see what the term soft cap is widely accepted to mean. Seriously. Let me put it simply: Grandfathered VZW UDP is *"TRULY"* unlimited. T-Mo, or any other national carrier that I have heard of, is not. No soft-cap, no deprioritization, no tether limits, etc. Like I said, just don't use the word "truly" to describe something and then add all these caveats, especially when there exists an actual example of "truly" unlimited in grandfathered VZW UDPs.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    All of this... Just google "soft cap deprioritization" and you will see what the term soft cap is widely accepted to mean. Seriously. Let me put it simply: Grandfathered VZW UDP is *"TRULY"* unlimited. T-Mo, or any other national carrier that I have heard of, is not. No soft-cap, no deprioritization, no tether limits, etc. Like I said, just don't use the word "truly" to describe something and then add all these caveats, especially when there exists an actual example of "truly" unlimited in grandfathered VZW UDPs.

Like I said, "soft cap" and "deprioritization" are two different (but often confused) things. We can agree to disagree on this point.

Otherwise, I agree that T-Mobile (and all other carriers) are putting the "marketing spin" on things claiming their Unlimited LTE is "truly" unlimited. On one hand, if you only count the amount of data you can use... then yes it's TECHNICALLY unlimited (even though the speed is slowed in certain conditions). On the other hand, if you take into account the speed vs capacity the carrier can deliver the data to you... then yes there are "restrictions" or "terms & conditions".

Yes, Verizon's Unlimited LTE is still the "true" Unlimited LTE plan... but they are not offering it anymore and it would be rare (or extremely lucky) for any one of the public to find someone willing to part with Verizon's UDP (for free) AND successfully do an AOL to a personal account. The probability drops dramatically once the person needs multiple lines (i.e. 4 lines, 5 lines, etc).

OP's question was relating to switching back to Verizon from T-Mobile NOW. I'm not sure how Verizon UDP vs. T-Mobile Unlimited LTE got into this conversation, but it really doesn't help the OP any because T-Mobile's Unlimited LTE plan is still offered by the carrier TODAY... Verizon's isn't.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile coverage is still terrible, even if it is better than Sprint. You won't regret switching from T-Mobile to a true national network with twice the coverage.

Feedback Score
    Sprint is just like T-Mobile in its lousy coverage and barely being a national network. However, it lacks an obnoxious CEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Sprint is just like T-Mobile in its lousy coverage and barely being a national network. However, it lacks an obnoxious CEO.
    Amen bro! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    T-Mobile coverage is still terrible, even if it is better than Sprint. You won't regret switching from T-Mobile to a true national network with twice the coverage.
    It all depends on the person's/company's requirements. I switched from Sprint to Verizon to T-Mobile. T-Mobile currently works the best out of all 3 for us. Verizon worked for about a year, then service went down the drain (3 bars, dropped calls, call failures, texts undelivered/unreceived, data timeouts, etc).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast