Thread: What Does Just "G" Mean By Bars, not "3G" or "4G"?

Feedback Score

What Does Just "G" Mean By Bars, not "3G" or "4G"?

I have a Moto X1 and a few times I have looked down at the display and saw just a solitary G there. Once I was just finishing up a call and the other time no call in progress. Is there a manual somewhere that explains all this stuff?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It stands for GPRS, which is really slow 2G. Another, slightly faster, form of 2G is E (for EDGE). Often either type can be almost useless in terms of data. If lucky it'll load very basic things.

When you saw it after a call, your phone probably switched from 3G/4G to 2G when you passed an area with very weak or non-existant 3G/4G coverage.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    GPRS is still better than the older CSD (Circuit Switched Data) which was similar to dial up internet of the 80's and early 90's.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus (Space Gray, 64GB); Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows tablet
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    G mean Generation. Before ya know it we will have 5G.
    "Not all that glitters is gold, not all who wander are lost." ~ JR Tolkien
    "The best you can do for another is not just share your riches but prove to him his own." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SheGadgets View Post
    G mean Generation. Before ya know it we will have 5G.
    Not in the OP's question. Thanks for trying.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    GPRS is still better than the older CSD (Circuit Switched Data) which was similar to dial up internet of the 80's and early 90's.
    Didn't CSD use your minutes instead of having a separate data bucket? From what I recall it required a phone number username and password, exactly like dial-up. and you had to connect and disconnect from it. it wasn't an always on data connection like Packet data.

Feedback Score
    How does GPRS compare to 1X which occasionally shows up (though never seems to actually work for any data)

Device(s)
    Motorola Nexus 6 (shamu), Motorola Moto G LTE XT-1045 (peregrine), SGH-T889V Galaxy Note II (t0lte)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo,T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Betulo: what's your carrier? 1X is probably a shortcut for 1X EV-DO, a 3G CDMA technology.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Betulo View Post
    How does GPRS compare to 1X which occasionally shows up (though never seems to actually work for any data)
    They're pretty similar. If multiple users are trying to use it, sometimes it's just so slow that it times out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisR View Post
    Betulo: what's your carrier? 1X is probably a shortcut for 1X EV-DO, a 3G CDMA technology.
    Carrier is Net10 smart phone over Verizon.

I live and work on the fringes of any kind of coverage and when it says 1X it usually means the signal is getting so weak or interfered that if you try to actually do anything it will fail.

It pretty much has to be 3G or better to actually work.

The "G" happens much less frequently, though I had never seen it before this phone.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Betulo View Post
    Carrier is Net10 smart phone over Verizon.

I live and work on the fringes of any kind of coverage and when it says 1X it usually means the signal is getting so weak or interfered that if you try to actually do anything it will fail.

It pretty much has to be 3G or better to actually work.

The "G" happens much less frequently, though I had never seen it before this phone.
    The G stands for GPRS which is a GSM technology, so you'll only see it when using GSM networks like T-Mobile and AT&T. 1X is a CDMA technology so you'll only see it on CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon. In terms of speed, 1X and GPRS are pretty similar. Can be useless in today's world.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    The G stands for GPRS which is a GSM technology, so you'll only see it when using GSM networks like T-Mobile and AT&T.
    Strange that this is a Verizon phone operating on Net10. It is 4G so it does have a SIM card but I doubt that makes it GSM in any way. Maybe it is a glitch in the display sometimes.