Thread: Netflix Throttles Its Videos on AT&T, Verizon Networks

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Netflix Throttles Its Videos on AT&T, Verizon Networks

Feedback Score
    I don't understand what the big deal is with this. Netflix did this to help users data plans and I doubt anyone even noticed the difference. If Verizon was more realistic in their data plans, users would have more to use. For what they pay, users should get more data to use. I had heard in Canada they don't have unlimited data, but $50 is the maximum overage carriers can charge a month for extra data use.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This all started with John Legere (T-Mobile) saying AT&T and Verizon give their customers 360p Netflix. Verizon claimed liar liar pants on fire. People tested with lots of bandwidth capacity, but only 360p on AT&T/Verizon. Netflix reveals today they've been throttling AT&T/Verizon customers to 360p for the past 5 years - all while AT&T/Verizon customers criticized T-Mobile for giving their customers free unlimited video streaming at 480p, while they've been watching 360p Netflix all these years.

Now it'll be interesting to see what they do. If they allow at 1080p, this will benefit AT&T/Verizon since it'll cause people to burn thru their data buckets faster (unless they have unlimited data). Maybe Netflix can just default mobile users to 360p and ask them if they want to increase their data quality in exchange of using more data.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm very happy John Legere was wrong with his uneducated claims, I am however upset Netflix thinks it needs to babysit customers because of data usage. A while back Netflix had this thing with ISPs needing to go in to their CDN to get HD streaming, makes you wonder what kind of behind the scenes CDN have been setup by the more desperate discount carriers to get HQ cheaper content delivered right into their networks..

Quality is why in have never used Netflix on my devices. I have better quality streaming DirecTV to my iPad or Amazon video. YouTube is fine not throttling data so why isn't Netflix?

Feedback Score
    I always made sure that the video quality was set to a lower threshold before I streamed using Netflix via my phone. I am glad Netflix was already looking out for me.

It doesn't bother me either that Netflix was having it both ways when publicly talking about Net neutrality.

Honestly, if it were that big of a problem, there would have been a lot more complaining from Netflix subscribers about the lack of video quality and/or connectivity issues when viewing on mobile devices. Given that there was no problem before anyone knew Netflix throttled for us, why should we care now that they have made it public?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    I'm very happy John Legere was wrong with his uneducated claims, I am however upset Netflix thinks it needs to babysit customers because of data usage. A while back Netflix had this thing with ISPs needing to go in to their CDN to get HD streaming, makes you wonder what kind of behind the scenes CDN have been setup by the more desperate discount carriers to get HQ cheaper content delivered right into their networks..

Quality is why in have never used Netflix on my devices. I have better quality streaming DirecTV to my iPad or Amazon video. YouTube is fine not throttling data so why isn't Netflix?
    How inept would Verizon and At&t have to be to not know this was happening, wow.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    How inept would Verizon and At&t have to be to not know this was happening, wow.
    They probably don't care enough to check into content delivery. It's not their job to find out what quality or bitrate a provider decides to deliver.

Feedback Score
    They probably don't care enough to check into content delivery. It's not their job to find out what quality or bitrate a provider decides to deliver.
    So you're telling me they don't care about a company that makes up 35% of all internet traffic... Okay...

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    On Netflix you can burn up to 3GB's of data at HD quality or 7GB's of data at Ultra HD quality in 1 freaking hour.

As someone who is technically savvy I can make the conscioentius choice to stream at full quality knowing how it can burn up through my 60GB data plan on AT&T pretty quickly.

However I believe the average Verizon customer who subscribes to a small shared 3G or 10GB data plan would be in for a rude awakening if someone on their account burned through their entire monthly data allotment in an hour.

This is where zero rating becomes controversial and where Unlimited Data plans like the one AT&T is offering with DirecTV is essential for the hardcore data users among us.

From Verizon or AT&T's perspective they aren't mad that are streaming quality may have been degraded without our consent. They are likely thinking about all the $$$ in data overage charges they were denied over the years.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    So you're telling me they don't care about a company that makes up 35% of all internet traffic... Okay...
    I'm sure they are aware of the overall bandwidth, but do you really think they have put a dime of thought into it enough to care? Probably not. They could care less what bitrate Netflix delivers content to their customers, and since it doesn't effect them then I could see how they wouldn't care to compare the streaming rate to other providers either.

The only thing they are concerned with is how overall traffic within their network is managed, and this is a case of Verizon not being the limitation effectively taking them out of the picture. This is Netflix vs. Verizon customers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Maybe I'm weird, and I will gladly accept that assessment, but I just have absolutely NO need to watch 1080p or 4k video on a freakin' cellphone! Lesser quality is just fine, and in the age of expensive, limited and scarce data, I will gladly accept the throttling if it means I won't blast through my data plan in just one hour. That's just ridiculous.

Feedback Score
    They could care less what bitrate Netflix delivers content to their customers, and since it doesn't effect them then I could see how they wouldn't care to compare the streaming rate to other providers either.
    But, it does affect them. They could sell more data if Netflix weren't doing this.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    LOL. Jokes on the Verizon users who complained about the T-Mobile 480p netflix. Just proves that nobody really cares about 1440P on their cell phones, or 1080P for that matter. I mean on YouTube I tend to watch my stuff on HD, but it's barely any different than 480P. 10% more fuzziness??? I'll take that if it doesn't use any data :P

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fflip8 View Post
    LOL. Jokes on the Verizon users who complained about the T-Mobile 480p netflix. Just proves that nobody really cares about 1440P on their cell phones, or 1080P for that matter. I mean on YouTube I tend to watch my stuff on HD, but it's barely any different than 480P. 10% more fuzziness??? I'll take that if it doesn't use any data :P
    I don't think the joke is on the users. They managed to have bandwidth and money saved because of Netflix. The joke would be on Verizon that lost millions and millions of dollars in overages due to Netflix protecting users.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Soon to be headlines: Duopoly sue Netflix for lost revenue!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast