Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any mini phones that support 3G for calls?

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    On Amazon.com there are a lot of interesting Android powered flip phones. They are missing all sorts of bands as they are meant for use in markets other than the US. However they might do 2g and 3g effectively for your purpose. I doubt anyone here has used any of them

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S4, HP Veer, HP Pre3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    How about something like this

Unihertz Jelly Pro, The Smallest 4G Smartphone in the World, Android 7.0 Nougat Unlocked Smart Phone with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM, Space Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752BYRHM..._4-oGAb9ZR36GB

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for mentioning this phone!

I've been using an HP Veer, formerly the smallest smartphone ever, but the horse I'm beating may finally be ready to put out to pasture. Unless i can find a good discount H+ provider, maybe this is the way to go. I like small phones. Thanks for the lead!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSfan View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this phone!

I've been using an HP Veer, formerly the smallest smartphone ever, but the horse I'm beating may finally be ready to put out to pasture. Unless i can find a good discount H+ provider, maybe this is the way to go. I like small phones. Thanks for the lead!
    Do come back and give us a report if you buy one!

Feedback Score
    I feel like I should update this thread now that I have purchased a Jelly Pro.

(This post will be particularly a follow up to this one https://howardforums.com/showthread....1#post16960261)

So I purchased the Jelly Pro from Unihertz. It is way better than the Posh. It runs full Nougat, has almost no bloat, and the 2GB RAM and 16GB storage are very handy.

It does not support swipe on Gboard because it's too small. It does support Google Voice typing, and you can install keyboards with large buttons such as Big Button Keyboard and the like. And the regular keyboard works surprisingly well for its size.

GPS is not good - you can't use it for navigation or exercise mapping.

Battery is 950MaH. Life is decent for its size, but obviously it won't last all day if you use it very much. It's fine for standby for calls and messages, but if you want to watch video, stream music, or be in Facebook for hours, you will need to charge it more often.

Call quality - I think the sound on calls is inferior but not everyone agrees with me.

SIMs: It supports LTE including all the important US bands (12 17 2 4 etc) so it is fullt ATT and Tmo compatible. The non-data slot (whichever you choose) only supports 2G, not 3G (like most dual SIMs at the moment until 4G+4G becomes more widespread) but you can switch which SIM gets 4G on the fly - you don't have to physically move them.

This means that if you have, say, a FreedomPop SIM for data, you can't also use Truphone for voice, because ATT shut down 2G.

I was able to use a FP SIM + a Ting GSM SIM for voice since Tmo still supports 1900 GSM, although I had some calls that did not go through, so it's not a great solution.

I don't think dual-SIM for data+voice is a great idea right now unless you get a 4G+4G device. In the meantime I'm going with FP for data + Google Voice VOIP, and a backup Ting SIM in the other slot in case I ever need it.

Root is possible on the Jelly but you have to be careful.

Unihertz are teasing a update called the Atom which they claim will be a major update (You can see some threads about it on reddit.com/r/jellypro), time will tell.

I have 2 Jelly Pros. I only need one and I would consider selling my second one (white, rooted + Xposed) if there's interest.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the update!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    +1, many thanks for the update.

"GPS is not good - you can't use it for navigation or exercise mapping."
    Any idea what's the problem with GPS? I need a small phone with GPS to put inside model rockets for tracking purposes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billdz View Post

Any idea what's the problem with GPS? I need a small phone with GPS to put inside model rockets for tracking purposes.
    I don't know exactly. It just never seems to get a lock or hold the lock once I start moving. I tried to navigate with it (using Google Maps) and it kept telling me to make crazy turns because my location kept jumping from one street to another. The error radius was 30 meters or so.

There is one user on Amazon who wrote that a software update fixed it for them, but it didn't work for me on either of the two Jellys that I have.

You can read more about it by Googling "Jelly Pro GPS" and also by going to Amazon's product listing (https://www.amazon.com/Unihertz-Smal.../dp/B0752CMXJM) and entering "GPS" in the "Have A Question" search bar on the bottom.

I think the GPS chip in the Mediatek SOC is either just lousy or else it's optimized for the Asia region.

Device(s)
    Pixel4XL, s10+, Axon 10P, Titan, Atom, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    I also have the JP with the same GPS issues. Seems to be related to the last 2 SW updates, it was working fine before then. Appears they might have dialed the sensitivity back to improve battery life.

That said, using MapMyHike seems to work to map my events (it loses about 20% an hour though, so only good for a couple hours - uses more with Spotify active obvously)
    --
    CellGuru

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Sorry to veer off topic, but have you considered a pet tracker for your rocket use? After investigating tiny Android phones for tracking purposes, I settled on the Pod Tracker 3 pet tracker (www.podtrackers.com) that included lifetime service (which might be the company's lifetime rather than the device's!)

It's small, light, and the battery lasts for about 3-5 days. (Plus it includes a spare you can hotswap while you charge the dead one.)

I was going to buy a cheaper generic Chinese import tracker that would let me use my own SIM, but the Pod was a far more rugged unit with a better build quality, and I figure if it lasts a year or two, I'll break even on the service costs. (It's 3G, using an embedded Vodaphone UK SIM and roams here in the US on AT&T and/or T-Mo. The required iOS/Android app is ok- it gets the job done anyway.)

I've had it on my dog's collar for about 6 months now and it's worked great, except for a small bug that's bit me twice in those 6 months. Once in a blue moon when it reboots (after you swap batteries) it has gone into a high battery drain mode where the battery low warning notification came in about a day instead of the usual 3-5. Swapping again fixed it. So, in maybe 40-50 battery swaps since we've had it, it's happened twice. Not enough to get worried about, and wouldn't really impact your use scenario (unless it takes you more than 24 hours to find the rocket!)

One time it happened though, was when we left the dog with a sitter for five days while on vacation and the dog was untrackable for four of the five days! (Thankfully he never ran away or got lost- this is really for "insurance" and to date we've never needed it.)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    One more update - Unihertz has announced a release date for their second mini dual-SIM android, called ATOM, for June 5.

There's a roundup of specs at https://www.reddit.com/r/JellyPro/ in a dedicated thread for specs, along with a couple of threads with size, price, and launch discussions.

They claim a 47% discount for early birds - sounds weird.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Sorry to veer off topic, but have you considered a pet tracker for your rocket use? After investigating tiny Android phones for tracking purposes, I settled on the Pod Tracker 3 pet tracker (www.podtrackers.com) that included lifetime service (which might be the company's lifetime rather than the device's!)

Yes, I have looked at pet trackers, quite a few rocketeers use them. The Pod Tracker looks good, particularly with free service and its rugged design. There are several cheap GPS trackers, less than $20, but most only work on 2G networks. The best thing I've used so far is the Posh Micro s240, it's about the same size as the Jelly Pro, cost $45 when I bought it, and works with a free FreedomPop SIM card. Now it's out of production and costs a lot more, if available at all.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I have looked at pet trackers, quite a few rocketeers use them. The Pod Tracker looks good, particularly with free service and its rugged design. There are several cheap GPS trackers, less than $20, but most only work on 2G networks. The best thing I've used so far is the Posh Micro s240, it's about the same size as the Jelly Pro, cost $45 when I bought it, and works with a free FreedomPop SIM card. Now it's out of production and costs a lot more, if available at all.
    I have a Micro S240, but I don't know if the battery is good anymore.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the 2G limitation is what started my search for 3G trackers and landed on the Paby and the Pod. Paby offers their own (AT&T-based, IIRC) service plan starting at about $40/year, and also claims to work with any SIM, but offers no way to set a custom APN. Instead, Paby has several operator APNs hardcoded in firmware, including AT&T and T-Mo, but not their MVNOs, so using FreedomPop was out.

The Pod's higher price ($129 vs $79 when I purchased) was offset by the "free" lifetime service (I'll be ahead early in year 2) and that's not even considering the better build quality and easy battery swap (though the Paby has external contacts that allows for hardwiring DC power, which might be an advantage in non-pet applications, like vehicle tracking.)

Device(s)
    Nokia 3650
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Have not tried this yet, but this with a cheap 2G tracker sounds like a good "free" solution: https://hologram.io/
    One free MB of data monthly, supposed to work on all 2G, 3G and 4G networks.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Have not tried this yet, but this with a cheap 2G tracker sounds like a good "free" solution: https://hologram.io/
    One free MB of data monthly, supposed to work on all 2G, 3G and 4G networks.
    If I'm reading the web site correctly, free plus $1.50/month "line fee" plus $0.40/MB over 1MB.

The real problem with 2G trackers in the US is they can only use the T-Mo network now- AT&T shutdown their 2G service.

Still a good deal from the data side, but I'd pony up the difference for a 3G tracker if possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast