Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How important is Band 30?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray, Moto G6 Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Band 30 is imperative at this point. No point in buying anything without it or 29. Ideally, I'd get a Cat 12 or better device with 3xCA and VoLTE.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    What? of course, it is.

Even when B12 was in a handful of markets, the magenta apologists blamed every performance issue on the lack of B12 and the lack of B12 support on whatever phone. Hell, they still do it now.

They can't have it both ways.

You're completely misunderstanding the scientific advantages and importance of low band spectrum, such as AT&T/T-Mobile B12/700MHz vs the weaker propagation of high band spectrum such as AT&T's B30/2.3GHz (2300MHz) or Sprint's 2.5GHz (2500MHz).

To put it in simple terms, low band spectrum (850MHz/700MHz) travels much farther and penetrates objects/buildings much better than high band spectrum (1900MHz, AWS, B30, etc). On average it takes around 3-4 high band towers to match the geographic coverage of a low band tower. A rural 700MHz/850MHz tower can easily cover a 20 mile diameter. Band 30? Less than half that.

It's not a coincidence that Verizon, AT&T, and US Cellular are the dominant/largest carriers in their markets. How did they do it? They and their predecessors were gifted low band 850MHz during the analog cellular days decades ago. It wasn't by being pro-consumer. It was by having dominant coverage thanks to low band spectrum. T-Mobile and Sprint did not get access to low band until recently - back then they were stuck with 1900MHz only.

It's also not a coincidence that T-Mobile was able to more than double their LTE footprint within about a year of deploying 700MHz LTE, or that Verizon was able achieve their current coverage with far fewer cell towers than T-Mobile's tiny pre-700MHz network (yes, T-Mobile's tiny, mostly urban network had thousands more cell towers than Verizon's massive network, and even then T-Mobile had trouble providing good urban coverage due to weak indoor coverage without low band). Low band spectrum is the difference between getting signal in rural/suburban locations, and often inside many buildings regardless of location. AT&T's band 30 will not improve your signal/coverage - it's just adding data capacity.

I'm not saying band 30 isn't important to AT&T, but it plays a very different role compared to T-Mobile's 700MHz or Sprint's 800MHz, which finally gave them a little spectrum to start more fairly competing against the bigger carriers.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post

You're completely misunderstanding the scientific advantages and importance of low band spectrum, such as AT&T/T-Mobile B12/700MHz vs the weaker propagation of high band spectrum such as AT&T's B30/2.3GHz (2300MHz) or Sprint's 2.5GHz (2500MHz).
    No, I understand it pretty damn well.

I was just making a point that the T-Mobile crew always use B12 as an excuse for everything. Poor data speeds? Poor coverage? Get a Band 12 device. Even though TMo doesn't even have B12 nationwide. AT&T has B30 everywhere. I know it's not for coverage. It's for data speeds.

Sprint users pull the same crap with B41. Slow data speeds? Bad coverage? Oh, you need a 2xCA capable device. In a few months, the next excuse will be that users need a 3xCA device.
    Apple iPhone X

Verizon LTE B4+B2

AT&T LTE B2+B17

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, LG G7 ThinQ, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For me in rural America? Not very. Horrible range pretty much confines it to urban areas, and it would be useless in mountainous and heavily forested areas like Mendocino County. Macro sites and lots of low band, that makes us happy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    No, I understand it pretty damn well.

I was just making a point that the T-Mobile crew always use B12 as an excuse for everything. Poor data speeds? Poor coverage? Get a Band 12 device. Even though TMo doesn't even have B12 nationwide. AT&T has B30 everywhere. I know it's not for coverage. It's for data speeds.

Sprint users pull the same crap with B41. Slow data speeds? Bad coverage? Oh, you need a 2xCA capable device. In a few months, the next excuse will be that users need a 3xCA device.
    AT&T has B30 everywhere? Since when? B30 was only deployed in a few markets as of last month. TX has it deployed in 2 markets with Dallas not being one of them. I don't think the timetable even has Dallas getting B30 until 2017 or 2018 (not sure if I'm remembering that correctly).

Even if B30 was deployed everywhere, which I doubt, it will not improve your cell reception in most cases. T-mobile's B12 will likely improve your reception. That's why I am saying that B30 is not like B12.

Again, I wouldn't worry about T-mobile users. T-mobile forum users seem to be a sensitive bunch, but most of their users know (probably) that T-mobile's network lacks coverage and building penetration. B12 helps though. Sure, you may not get a signal even with B12, but lacking B12 almost guarantees that your signal will be worse, or at least not as good.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I have seen band 30 deployed in some small cities not just big markets.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

How important is Band 30?

Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    AT&T has B30 everywhere? Since when? B30 was only deployed in a few markets as of last month. TX has it deployed in 2 markets with Dallas not being one of them. I don't think the timetable even has Dallas getting B30 until 2017 or 2018 (not sure if I'm remembering that correctly).

Even if B30 was deployed everywhere, which I doubt, it will not improve your cell reception in most cases. T-mobile's B12 will likely improve your reception. That's why I am saying that B30 is not like B12.

Again, I wouldn't worry about T-mobile users. T-mobile forum users seem to be a sensitive bunch, but most of their users know (probably) that T-mobile's network lacks coverage and building penetration.
    B12 helps though. Sure, you may not get a signal even with B12, but lacking B12 almost guarantees that your signal will be worse, or at least not as good.
    B30 is popping up everywhere and sooner than you think. They may have just deployed it early this year but the work started way back around last July or so. If they're taking their time with it in DFW it's probably because they already have a hoard of spectrum deployed. (2/4/5/17).

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    I have seen band 30 deployed in some small cities not just big markets.
    Correct, it's been found already in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area.
    It's great that they're taking band 30 so seriously and not just deploying in urban cores.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    B30 is popping up everywhere and sooner than you think. They may have just deployed it early this year but the work started way back around last July or so. If they're taking their time with it in DFW it's probably because they already have a hoard of spectrum deployed. (2/4/5/17).
    Idk about July. FierceWireless reported that deployment started in Sept 2015.

Sept, July, point is it isn't deployed everywhere, isn't as important as B12, and most major metros don't have it yet. Another poster had claimed that it is important unless you don't go to major metros, but since most don't have it yet that claim seems to be a bit hyperbolic.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Idk about July. FierceWireless reported that deployment started in Sept 2015.

Sept, July, point is it isn't deployed everywhere, isn't as important as B12, and most major metros don't have it yet. Another poster had claimed that it is important unless you don't go to major metros, but since most don't have it yet that claim seems to be a bit hyperbolic.
    I don't think we have enough people actively looking for band 30 to really say it isn't deployed everywhere, outside of us hofo nerds and maybe other tech sites. Also people may not currently have a capable device to search for it or care enough.

Just on my drive back last night from VA I was able to determine and confirm band 30 is in Baltimore, and NJ. And that's just from driving on a freeway I95.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Isn't the main benefit of Band 30 to reduce the load on the other bands right now? As opposed to band 17 (or 12 for T-Mobile), the ability to provide LTE in areas that may not have any coverage at all?

Or is ATT putting Band 30 in areas that they don't have any other spectrum available, which is owned by other companies?
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Isn't the main benefit of Band 30 to reduce the load on the other bands right now? As opposed to band 17 (or 12 for T-Mobile), the ability to provide LTE in areas that may not have any coverage at all?

Or is ATT putting Band 30 in areas that they don't have any other spectrum available, which is owned by other companies?
    Band 30 isn't about adding coverage, it adds capacity.

One other thing to add, it also depends on how long you keep your phone. I am usually on a 18-24 month cycle myself. This fall I will be looking at what is out there in the handset world and band 30 is a must for me as by that time there will be plenty of band 30 deployed along with plenty of band 30 deployed within the life cycle I will keep this phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpimp View Post
    I don't think we have enough people actively looking for band 30 to really say it isn't deployed everywhere, outside of us hofo nerds and maybe other tech sites. Also people may not currently have a capable device to search for it or care enough.

Just on my drive back last night from VA I was able to determine and confirm band 30 is in Baltimore, and NJ. And that's just from driving on a freeway I95.
    I was in the AT&T store last month asking about it and according to their information B30 is only deployed in a few markets. NYC, somewhere in NJ, 2 TX markets, maybe Boston or Minneapolis, and a few others. If B30 was everywhere the agent would have a difficult time finding where it is not deployed vs where it is deployed.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I was in the AT&T store last month asking about it and according to their information B30 is only deployed in a few markets. NYC, somewhere in NJ, 2 TX markets, maybe Boston or Minneapolis, and a few others. If B30 was everywhere the agent would have a difficult time finding where it is not deployed vs where it is deployed.
    He is wrong. Plenty more markets with it. I have seen several pics of the radio heads out on towers and such. The entire market might not be deployed so it probably doesn't come up on the list. You may not see the entire market deployed in some places for a while as they seem to hit the problem spots first.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I want every available band on my next phone. Now that I'm not in the contract routine, I may slow down from every 2 years. My current phone is missing a few important bands right now (12 on T-Mobile more important now than Band 30 on ATT). But in a few years 30 will be more important when more widespread.

Of course, then we will be worried about the 600Mhz spectrum. It was simpler when there was just 2 main bands, and a world quad band phone was all you needed

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast