Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Damn do I ever hate Sprint

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    While technically compatible it's going to work like crap, so no Sprint themselves usually wouldn't even support such a configuration.
    If a phone doesn't have the firmware on it to make calls on Sprint's CDMA network, it won't be able to make phone calls on Sprint's network. AFAIK the only phones that work on Verizon and also have the firmware to work on Sprint are the newer iPhones and the Verizon Nexus 6.

In addition, unlike Verizon Sprint pairs a phone's IMEI with its SIM card number in its Device Management Database (aka whitelist). You can't just pop an active SIM card in a phone and have it work on Sprint's network even if the phone has the proper firmware and hardware to work on Sprint and it's IMEI is whitelisted. The IMEI and the SIM card number must be paired together in Sprint's Device Management Database. So not only does the phone's IMEI have to be whitelisted, it has to be paired to a particular SIM card number to be able to authenticate to the Sprint network. And Sprint does not have universal SIM cards; it has multiple types and you have to have the right type for your device. Even then, you still can't "pop and swap" SIMs for the reason I explained.

For instance, I have a Nexus 6 and a Moto X Pure that are whitelisted by Sprint and both use the same type of Sprint SIM card. However, the SIM that is active on my Sprint line has been paired to my Nexus 6 so I cannot remove it and put it in my Moto X Pure and have the Moto X Pure work. I can call a Sprint rep and they can reassociate the SIM with my Moto X Pure since both the Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure use the same type of Sprint SIM card, but a rep has to do that before my Moto X Pure will work on Sprint. And they can only do it if the IMEI of a phone is whitelisted by Sprint. It's a real PITA and a reason many people myself included get frustrated with Sprint. There isn't a good reason to do this IMO, it is very anti-consumer and doesn't provide any benefit to the consumer.

While both Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers, Sprint has chosen to implement it DMD differently from Verizon. You cannot just "pop and swap" an active SIM card on Sprint like you can with Verizon.

http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...0120920-100001

Consequently, there is no way to get a 4G LTE phone active on Sprint's network unless it's IMEI is whitelisted by Sprint and the phone has the SIM card in it that is paired to the phone's IMEI in Sprint's DMD. This is yet another reason why so few phones work on both Sprint and Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    If a phone doesn't have the firmware on it to make calls on Sprint's CDMA network, it won't be able to make phone calls on Sprint's network. AFAIK the only phones that work on Verizon and also have the firmware to work on Sprint are the newer iPhones and the Verizon Nexus 6.

In addition, unlike Verizon Sprint pairs a phone's IMEI with its SIM card number in its Device Management Database (aka whitelist). You can't just pop an active SIM card in a phone and have it work on Sprint's network even if the phone has the proper firmware and hardware to work on Sprint and it's IMEI is whitelisted. The IMEI and the SIM card number must be paired together in Sprint's Device Management Database. So not only does the phone's IMEI have to be whitelisted, it has to be paired to a particular SIM card number to be able to authenticate to the Sprint network. And Sprint does not have universal SIM cards; it has multiple types and you have to have the right type for your device. Even then, you still can't "pop and swap" SIMs for the reason I explained.

For instance, I have a Nexus 6 and a Moto X Pure that are whitelisted by Sprint and both use the same type of Sprint SIM card. However, the SIM that is active on my Sprint line has been paired to my Nexus 6 so I cannot remove it and put it in my Moto X Pure and have the Moto X Pure work. I can call a Sprint rep and they can reassociate the SIM with my Moto X Pure since both the Nexus 6 and Moto X Pure use the same type of Sprint SIM card, but a rep has to do that before my Moto X Pure will work on Sprint. And they can only do it if the IMEI of a phone is whitelisted by Sprint. It's a real PITA and a reason many people myself included get frustrated with Sprint. There isn't a good reason to do this IMO, it is very anti-consumer and doesn't provide any benefit to the consumer.

While both Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers, Sprint has chosen to implement it DMD differently from Verizon. You cannot just "pop and swap" an active SIM card on Sprint like you can with Verizon.

http://support.sprint.com/support/ar...0120920-100001

Consequently, there is no way to get a 4G LTE phone active on Sprint's network unless it's IMEI is whitelisted by Sprint and the phone has the SIM card in it that is paired to the phone's IMEI in Sprint's DMD. This is yet another reason why so few phones work on both Sprint and Verizon.
    Good Sir i've done RF engineering for Sprint (and worked as a higher up tech for 5yrs through college) so i'm well aware of the SIM "limitations" imposed by policy in Ensemble. It's all just a choice of policy by management and nothing more.

Also the whole "Firmware" thing is BS. I've activated several non-Sprint CDMA devices in my day and they all work fine. CDMA is CDMA, and Sprint had just chose to limit outside devices (much like Verizon still does on the 3G/CDMA side), for "non-sprint" devices, you just had to have access to the "correct" database - in which I had
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Thank you, brad15. You're very knowledgable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Also the whole "Firmware" thing is BS.
    It's not. If you were able to successfully use a non-Sprint device on Sprint's CDMA network simply by whitelisting its ESN/MEID/IMEI, then the device had the proper firmware on it to begin with not to mention the proper hardware. Manufacturers who make the same model phone for different carriers sometimes just write one set of firmware but label it differently for different carrier models so that the firmware actually supports all of the carriers even if the hardware of a particular model doesn't.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I'm not getting into another pissing match or lose my temper again about this, but this is just not true. Please educate yourself.

Way back in the day, I even got a couple Korean CDMA handsets to work on Verizon and Sprint (getting them onto the whitelist wasn't what you knew, but who you knew), and I can assure you they had no specific firmware for US carriers. As brad15 said, CDMA is CDMA, period.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I'm not getting into another pissing match or lose my temper again about this, but this is just not true. Please educate yourself.

Way back in the day, I even got a couple Korean CDMA handsets to work on Verizon and Sprint (getting them onto the whitelist wasn't what you knew, but who you knew), and I can assure you they had no specific firmware for US carriers. As brad15 said, CDMA is CDMA, period.
    What I said is correct.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    ...... As brad15 said, CDMA is CDMA, period.
    Except in Japan.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Except in Japan.
    Or the US or anywhere. You still need proprietary information no matter where you are.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    Or the US or anywhere. You still need proprietary information no matter where you are.
    I've activated two non-Verizon CDMA phones on PagePlus. The "proprietary information" was taken care of by calling *228. Japan is different because they invert the uplink and downlink bands because, well because they are Japan and like to do things different.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I've activated two non-Verizon CDMA phones on PagePlus. The "proprietary information" was taken care of by calling *228.
    You are talking about basic phones - they don't have smartphone operating systems, which is what firmware is. I am talking about firmware. Even if you get a Verizon Droid smartphone whitelisted on Sprint, it won't work on Sprint.

To recap - OP is ranting about his iPhone 4s, which is a smartphone. We are talking about smartphones. At least I am.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4