Thread: T-Mobile held up well at French Quarter Fest yesterday.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile held up well at French Quarter Fest yesterday.

I didn't run any speed tests but I was a bit surprised that T-Mobile seemed to hold up well at French Quarter Fest in New Orleans yesterday. People were packed like sardines into The Quarter and surrounding areas. I had no problem tunneling into my home VPN and accessing my desktop. I had sort of expected a significant slowing of the network. I suppose most folks, like me, were more into the music, dancing, food and people watching than bothering with their phones for much other than taking videos. I saw what might have been one police mobile radio tower but nothing else that resembled a C.O.W.

http://www.nola.com/fqfest/index.ssf...6_new_o_1.html
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Is the Band 12 deployed there yet?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile held up well at French Quarter Fest yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I didn't run any speed tests but I was a bit surprised that T-Mobile seemed to hold up well at French Quarter Fest in New Orleans yesterday. People were packed like sardines into The Quarter and surrounding areas. I had no problem tunneling into my home VPN and accessing my desktop. I had sort of expected a significant slowing of the network. I suppose most folks, like me, were more into the music, dancing, food and people watching than bothering with their phones for much other than taking videos. I saw what might have been one police mobile radio tower but nothing else that resembled a C.O.W.
    T-Mobile has the French Quarter mostly covered.
    Site on the Crown Plaza hotel shoots down Bourbon St, as well as covering lower Canal.
    Site on the power line structure where N Peters runs into Decatur covers That side of things pretty well.
    Site on the Harrah's parking tower takes care of the lower Poydras area.
    I've also found that a site from Algiers is often picked up on the Riverwalk.
    And don't forget that the French Quarter DAS is finally modernized for LTE and U1900. Only drawback there is that the LTE on the DAS is 1x1 SISO, so peak throughout is halved. And T-Mobile is only on a select few of the nodes.

Otherwise, now that T-Mobile is 15x15 here, they can mostly handle the crowds. L700 will add 33% more capacity and better coverage indoors, which I am very much looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcuzdave View Post
    No. Months out.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcuzdave View Post
    I forgot to mention that. Not as far as I know. T-Mobile just acquired the New Orleans license and I don't think there have been any 700 MHz signals yet. CellMapper shows a couple of sites but they predate the license acquisition and may be bogus.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reedacus25 View Post
    ....I've also found that a site from Algiers is often picked up on the Riverwalk.....
    From the Riverwalk (Park and shopping area on the levee) you can look across the river to Algiers and see that tower. Small wonder that CellMapper's coverage maps show that site covering the whole bend of the river from the "Twin Spans" around to the industrial canal. Yesterday their might have been 50K people within the one sector covering from the bridges to the Aquarium. Of course, that's not the only coverage of that area.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Tour
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post

http://www.nola.com/fqfest/index.ssf...6_new_o_1.html

Ofcourse they have tourist spots signals set up well. Extra towers around the area and all. They do that downtown where Im at also at cities major events,concerts and sports events.. Nothing to be shocked about it. Go 10 mins away or so from that spot then tell me how is the signal lol

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cpugeek View Post
    Ofcourse they have tourist spots signals set up well. Extra towers around the area and all. They do that downtown where Im at also at cities major events,concerts and sports events.. Nothing to be shocked about it. Go 10 mins away or so from that spot then tell me how is the signal lol
    Believe it or not, there isn't really a ton of extra special sauce going on in downtown New Orleans.

They don't even bring a COW(s) in for Mardi Gras like everyone else, for better or more often worse.

They happen to have just enough site density and spill over from adjacent cells to cover the load now that they are 15 MHz wide, and the French Quarter oDAS picks up just enough slack to keep the macro cells less burdened.

It could be much better, and hoping it is with the L700 overlay, but it isn't anything out of the ordinary. 10 minutes in any given direction will land you squarely in a pretty good signal or a maybe not so good, but definitely usable in your car signal.