Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Verge: Sprint calls T-Mobile 'ghetto' in exceptionally tasteless ad

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Speakng of "ghetto" saw this on Google News. Just in case people think its no big deal to use that term, or its just the "PC Crowd":

This Michigan Tire Shop Owner Says He Doesn't Service Black or "Ghetto" People <---These are the kind of attitudes you don't want to associate with Sprint. This man could have very well been a panelist. Would you want him on your team?

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Sprint choose that video, approved its content, and posted the video to their channel (not the individuals in the video), so yeah, it was directly from the mouth of Sprint. Not only that, why should we believe these individuals are "real" customers instead of paid members of a focus group? At least Legere's profanity fuels rants are true, and you probably have a better wireless plan because of it.
    My wireless plan hasn't been fantastic lately because of T-Mobile, the only thing I have noticed is how T-Mobile has lessened the value of their plans over time and replacing them with As-Seen-On-TV gimmicks like BingeOn. Their $65 for 6GB plan now is essentially equivalent to their $70 TOTALLY UNLIMITED plan they had back when Uncarrier started but has slowly crept up.

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy theory with T-Mobile customers? From Root Metrics to the EFF to This, it probably was real individuals and this lady just did not have a filter (like John Legere).

Of course I believe nothing T-Mobile's slimy CEO says anyways, I don't trust used car salesmen. By the way Legere had the same attitude as he does now when he lead GlobalCrossing through bankruptcy and had them taken over by Level3.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I find the woman who's making the comments to be somewhat (how do I say this?), "Like, Oh My God, like", idiotic. That Sprint would even consider using her to deliver a message is telling.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint wish they could deploy their 8T8R 2.5gz anntenas in every tower. The problem is they have 32 billions on debt.

Now they are deploying small cells when every tower in any given market doesn't have the 8T8R radios. Verizon is deploying small cells at fast rate, but it's at a supplementary overlay.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    My wireless plan hasn't been fantastic lately because of T-Mobile, the only thing I have noticed is how T-Mobile has lessened the value of their plans over time and replacing them with As-Seen-On-TV gimmicks like BingeOn. Their $65 for 6GB plan now is essentially equivalent to their $70 TOTALLY UNLIMITED plan they had back when Uncarrier started but has slowly crept up.
    i would say the value has shifted, but it's still there

beginning - $70 unlimited, but LTE network was still infancy ( no 700mhz, mostly in cities, no highways. depending when you joined, no music freedom/international roaming/wifi router etc)

mature- $95 unlimited, LTE network much more expansive, some "gimmicks"(bingeon) , more congestion

if you "bought-in" at $70, I'd say you maxed out on value (other than congestion)

If you "bought-in" at $95, you're paying for those extra features. If you don't want them, you still have the option of MetroPCS $60 unlimited

either way, definitely agree that sprint should focus on pro-consumer approach. lowering $ works on acquiring customers, but you need to keep them. sprint's still stuck at the "beginning" stage, can't move to the "mature" stage

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Speakng of "ghetto" saw this on Google News. Just in case people think its no big deal to use that term, or its just the "PC Crowd":

This Michigan Tire Shop Owner Says He Doesn't Service Black or "Ghetto" People <---These are the kind of attitudes you don't want to associate with Sprint. This man could have very well been a panelist. Would you want him on your team?

brings up a point:

ghetto isn't a class of people, it's a state of mind!

(I've 1st hand experience ghetto-fabulous mentality in an upper nw dc community from a white lady in Cleveland park, which would have / has never happened to me in hoodish areas such as shaw, or petworth, or anacostia)

(unbeknownst of that shop owner, or willful ignorance, his own mentality was, indeed, ghe=tto, in utterance)

I've witness ghetto-fabulous in places OTHER than the hood -

politics - Politicians fight compilation (R)

Hollywood - FIGHT!!! Very Funny, TV Confrontations w/ angry Celebrities

the lady's script in that sprint vid.. was ghetto-fab..
    Last edited by j'vai; 04-13-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I consider a ghetto not due to race, color, or income levels, but due to people having bad attitudes and a certain mentality. To me ghetto is a mindset that "only I matter and everyone owes me and who cares who's feet I step on as long as I'm ok" etc etc. Basically a big chunk of the world seems ghetto to me since it's one man/woman for themselves. To me that's ghetto, not race etc.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If this entire ad campaign doesn't show that Marcelo is unaware of the country he is in and the way you speak to and market a product, I can't give you any better examples. Marcelo is a buffoon to allow this to be aired, especially with him in it, essentially condoning and even engineering this message.

Additionally, why is it that prepaid is still associated with being 'poor' or 'criminal' or whatever. It's not 2001 (and even then, why?) where it was drug dealers and prepaid phones as burners? Sure, criminals still do this, but because criminals use something or poor people use something, why is it unsullied?

I used prepaid to save myself money and not worry about being in a contract. I saved money buying my own phone - or even the prepaid brand ones that are generally very cheap. I'd think we'd view people who save money as smarter, not dumber. But, that's Marcelo's continued perception I suppose. It's even funnier, as he used to have two decently performing prepaid brands in Boost and Virgin, but those are obviously viewed as trash by him. Little to marketing for them. Confusion between the brands. Can't switch phones between brands for no obvious technical reason.

Also, Tmobile is great to push towards having postpaid service available without a credit check. 2/3 of my utilities were that way - just a nominal deposit and I was on my way. I got my deposit back after a year of paying on time and I'm established with my utilities if I move and continue service with them (my power company required a credit pull regardless, but thankfully mine is good so no deposit but a credit hit still sucked a few years ago).

Overall, more proof Marcelo is out of touch and has no idea what he's doing. More proof Sprint would rather waste money and time on this drivel than getting down to business on fixing their network and brand image.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree. Sprint just doesn't get it.
    Sent from my RM-1073_1004 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    You know what's ghetto? Calling Sprint customer care and getting someone in the Philippines 7 times in a row.

I guess the stigma of prepaid being for people with poor credit or lower income will remain. I originally chose Sprint based off of unlimited data. Fast forward years later and I use Cricket for my main line.

When I deal with Cricket support I expect it to be from overseas. Sprint.....no. I can't comment if T-Mobile has U.S. call centers but I believe they do. Sprint may have some to but not like they used to. And if they do I haven't been connected to one on three different attempts the last 2 months.

The last cell commercial that made me laugh is the Metro PCS one where people are breaking up with Sprint.

That's how far Sprint is fallen? To have a 'ghetto' prepaid come and eat your lunch.

Yes T-Mobile has U.S. call centers (at least for postpaid). But I think late at night it may transfer overseas.
    - Chokaay

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by chokaay View Post
    Yes T-Mobile has U.S. call centers (at least for postpaid). But I think late at night it may transfer overseas.
    It's probably just me. I find it funny when Cricket comes after T-Mobile and Sprint being a prepaid 'ghetto' carrier backed by [email protected] going after the smaller big two. It's really funny when little Metro comes after Sprint.

I read it as T-Mobile passing Sprint up as a brand. Sprint is relegated to Metro PCS status where they can further pick them apart. Even though their network coverage is probably similar.

Sprint, Thanks for the free year!

- Moto e5 cruise (Cricket)
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Yeah they pulled it after all the criticism.

This just highlights what's wrong with Sprint management. They'd rather spend time and money making fun of their most successful competitor (you know, the one everyone thought was dead a few years ago but is now growing revenue at record rate, is constantly adding millions of customers, has become profitable, and is actually expanding their network to attempt to eventually match AT&T/Verizon).

Sprint, this is not that difficult. Throw all your money at the network (no excuse; you have the spectrum other carriers wish they had) and beat T-Mobile's pro-consumer offerings and people will come. That's it. Being pro-consumer does not mean pricing yourself lower than the competition. T-Mobile did that before Legere and failed miserably. It means giving consumers what they want so they pay up. In a way even Verizon does this. Verizon gives them stellar network, so people pay up.
    Verizon and AT&T are still twice as good as T-Mobile. T-Mobile's claims of expansion are mostly smoke and mirrors. Mostly. They have pulled ahead of Sprint a little. T-Mobile can hardly be called "pro-consumer" at this point. They give people 0 bars of service in half the places they go (like Sprint, but unlike the true national carriers). The illegal "Binge On" scam where T-Mobile censors content it doesn't like on a company by company basis is very anti consumer.

Sprint might have bad ads, but at least they aren't censoring data on a company by company basis like T-Mobile is.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    You know what's ghetto? Calling Sprint customer care and getting someone in the Philippines 7 times in a row.
    I'm not a racial supremacist, so I don't hate Asians, sorry. I've gotten great support from foreigners and terrible support from Americans at times.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sprint calling others ghetto is the joke of the century. From their branding, their stores, their CS, right down to even their customer base, they are through and through ghetto.

This again just cements that their management out in Middle Murica has no idea what they are talking about.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'm not a racial supremacist, so I don't hate Asians, sorry. I've gotten great support from foreigners and terrible support from Americans at times.
    Find that hard to believe. Many of these 3rd worlders only know how to follow scripts. The worst is the banking sector, which is why I close all accounts of any outfit that sends my banking related call to some 3rd world country.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast