Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 105

Thread: Sorry Sprint, we tried but your process makes it impossible.

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've also had a negative experience in trying to switch to Sprint. I was trying to port from Project Fi and wanted to bring my 5X. Went in there on a Saturday morning and 2 hours later was told by the rep she couldn't get the system to accept my phone's Meid. Idk if it was the fact I was at a Sprint RadioShack or what but regardless 2 hours wasted on my day off was pretty ridiculous. Does anyone know if you can do this over the phone or do you have to go to a store? I would be willing to give it another go if I can just call and do the switch over the phone.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,996
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joeflo93 View Post
    I've also had a negative experience in trying to switch to Sprint. I was trying to port from Project Fi and wanted to bring my 5X. Went in there on a Saturday morning and 2 hours later was told by the rep she couldn't get the system to accept my phone's Meid. Idk if it was the fact I was at a Sprint RadioShack or what but regardless 2 hours wasted on my day off was pretty ridiculous. Does anyone know if you can do this over the phone or do you have to go to a store? I would be willing to give it another go if I can just call and do the switch over the phone.
    I think it must be in store. Corporate stores have the ability to add your phone to their database with their DNA2 tool, though not every lead has experience with adding it. You can try calling, but they had me go to a store and my phone was originally a Sprint phone.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,453
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    We went to the Sprint store today to port my wife's Nexus 5X over to Sprint. The store was fairly noisy with people testing audio equipment and little kids making a lot of noise. The salesguy, handed my wife, who has difficulty hearing in noisy environments, a phone where "Jessica" on the other end asked her a bunch of ID questions for the credit check. She was literally asking my wife detailed questions about cars we owned 20 years ago! Turns out she failed the test. (Credit's fine. Last years she got 100% financing at 1.4% on a $28K car. She just couldn't remember when she paid off the '92 Altima. Or that I had owned a Plymouth Champ at one time.) We both decided that the whole experience was very negative and we had no need for Sprint or reason to put up with such nonsense. I doubt I'd be able to get her to ever go back into a Sprint store.
    It's precisely experiences like this that leave lasting impressions, whether good or bad or at any carrier.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,635
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Sprint has an obligation to ensure that they only extend credit to the actual person requesting credit. In order to meet that obligation they have an identity verification system in place - all companies that extend credit do. So that is why I said this is not Sprint's fault. I hate verification questions, but that's the nature of credit.

    Buying a car is easier (or was for me), but I don't know why that is. I suspect it is because the loan is collateralized, or because they already have other identifying documents... I don't know.

    As for Sprint's BYOD policy, they are a CDMA carrier and CDMA carriers don't let you BYOD. The fact that Sprint does let you BYOD is why I said Sprint has a friendly BYOD policy. For comparison, Verizon doesn't let you BYOD unless it is a Nexus 6 or iPhone 6s (I can't speak to Japanese/overseas carriers) and that is because of the open access provisions attached to their 700Mhz purchase and some of our regional CDMA operators don't let you BYOD at all. I don't think Sprint has such a requirement placed on them, but even if they do, they still allow more devices than Verizon does. Another reason I think Sprint has a good BYOD policy is they can add your IMEI to their database at the store; Verizon has the corporate office add the IMEI and that takes 3 business days I'm told.

    Obviously Sprint isn't as good as AT&T & T-mobile when it comes to BYOD, but I already mentioned that previously. Given the extensive list of BYOD it appears as if Sprint is allowing anything that is compatible.
    That was the point, especially pointing out to a car. Sprint could require another set of documents if people can't or don't like using the question method to verify identity. You aren't going to snuff out identify theft 100%, and Sprint should mitigate it, but if it's hindering and causing bad PR, re-think your methods. I'm not saying Sprint invented this process, but at the same time other credit issuers have found other ways, so it obviously isn't a legality or something else blocking Sprint. They just chose this method and it has its issues, as outlined in the posts.

    Sprint has come a ways on BYOP, but CDMA carriers imposed the restrictions that have long beset them with it. Cricket, prior to ATT buy-out, would accept and even flash phones to use on their CDMA networks. Clearly it has always been do-able and was strictly there to lock customers in and diminish choice - no other reason. It's as if saying the bully who used to punch you in the face daily is being kind now by limiting his punching to twice a week, on your arms only. Better, sure... but questionable.

    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I guess you're talking about APS.. I refuse to move to an APS service area as they were just garbage to deal with back in '09 when i moved here. SRP is a much better company to work with overall and i've noticed my power never goes out during the rain now - a regular occurrence with APS.

    But yes, Sprint should allow "no credit" like they used too (just $125 deposit, and all 9's entered as the social) - but as usual their management is just dumb about it. I mean what are they really out of if you bring your own device? maybe a month of service?
    I generally don't like to speak their name, but yes APS. I, fortunately, live in an old SRP area they vacated or whatever the history. I generally get a check every year worth about 1-1.5 moths of electricity if evened out over the year. I just got my bill yesterday and it boils me how much BS they charge, in addition to the crappy rate plans they offer over SRP. Peak hours are... all day. Even though SRP offers excellent peak/non-peak structures and rates - sigh.

    I wish APS were forced to adopt the model Southwest gas does. Overall, regardless of the therms they sell to me, they make their money on maintaining and actually delivering my gas. They don't care if I use 5 therms or 50. APS always sends an appeal like clockwork to raise electric rates. They cite the fact people use LED lights or efficient A/Cs or washing machines as why - people are using less so jack up my rates!!! I'd rather pay them a relatively flat fee to maintain an electric grid and power plants.

    Don't even get me started on the rip-off and completely botched solar initiatives.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Odds are they are using some kind of public record service like Lexis Nexus that still has that old information. If they were pulling from a credit agency they would just be asking about stuff that is on your credit profile.

    This isn't really Sprint's fault though.
    Yep, his beef isn't with Sprint.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    I inquired about moving my Verizon line to Sprint with an iPhone 6S (unlocked) that I own. I did not request any form of ETF or phone re-payment. Still, Sprint denied me. They wanted to require me to buy a Sprint branded phone
    If you were trying to do their 1/2 off deal, that deal required that you buy a Sprint phone from them.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtj View Post
    Do you happen to have a "Fraud Alert" on your credit profiles?
    I intentionally do and that always triggers a call to verify credit
    related information.
    If you get a copy of your credit reports you can predict the majority of
    the questions the verifiers will ask.
    Also if you have ever signed up for one of those free credit monitoring services because a retailer's cc database got hacked, like Target, those credit monitoring services interfere with new credit checks.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,696
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    If you were trying to do their 1/2 off deal, that deal required that you buy a Sprint phone from them.
    I used to. Not any more.
    Donald Newcomb

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by klakzky View Post
    Oh come on. This is absurd. That's a dumb way to prevent identity theft.
    Many, many companies use these services as a way to identify you are who you say you are. It is not just a Sprint thing. Verizon uses it too. So do UPS and FedEx.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    412
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bibbin View Post
    Technically, Sprint "postpaid" is prepaid as they charge for services a month in advance. That said, there's no reason OP should've been subjected to a credit check in the first place. They should have been presented the No Credit Check Option. I agree with OP, Sprint's loss, indeed.
    I said I'd never create another thread in the Sprint section, but reading this thread I have to at least comment. I have no idea why these companies value post paid without contracts over prepaid. I thought it was all about the ARPU. I'm giving Cricket $65 a month. How is someone who signs up for 1GB of postpaid data on Sprint deemed more valuable when they're paying less? Especially if you bring your own device. Without a contract in place I agree...essentially everything is prepaid. In both cases we could tell Cricket or Sprint to piss off.

    When I was going to experiment with a T-Mobile tablet plan for $35 a month one of the things that stopped me in my tracks was them wanting to run a credit check. I have great credit, but that is besides the point. He said I could of put a deposit down instead of having the credit pull which I still couldn't understand with them billing a month in advance.

    Then the sales guy said he would wave the SIM card fee if I made it a business account linking it to my company. It probably has to do with their commission. These companies shouldn't have it both ways. If they want to get rid of the two year contract so be it. Along with the contract going out the window....credit checks for month to month service should be a thing of the past as well.


    Sprint, Thanks for the free year!

    - Moto e5 cruise (Cricket)
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley


  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,635
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    I said I'd never create another thread in the Sprint section, but reading this thread I have to at least comment. I have no idea why these companies value post paid without contracts over prepaid. I thought it was all about the ARPU. I'm giving Cricket $65 a month. How is someone who signs up for 1GB of postpaid data on Sprint deemed more valuable when they're paying less? Especially if you bring your own device. Without a contract in place I agree...essentially everything is prepaid. In both cases we could tell Cricket or Sprint to piss off.

    When I was going to experiment with a T-Mobile tablet plan for $35 a month one of the things that stopped me in my tracks was them wanting to run a credit check. I have great credit, but that is besides the point. He said I could of put a deposit down instead of having the credit pull which I still couldn't understand with them billing a month in advance.

    Then the sales guy said he would wave the SIM card fee if I made it a business account linking it to my company. It probably has to do with their commission. These companies shouldn't have it both ways. If they want to get rid of the two year contract so be it. Along with the contract going out the window....credit checks for month to month service should be a thing of the past as well.
    One thin you're forgetting with a lot of the postpaid plans is they are basically lying about the price. Many bills are greatly inflated with 'fees' and alleged 'recovery' costs. Most of it isn't actually anything they are legally required to collect and/or break out (such as tax). Given they aren't regulated like an actual utility company, they have very little if any oversight on how they bill, what they bill, where they bill, etc.

    So, even the basic postpaid 1 line plan is a lot of extra gravy for Sprint (or any carrier). The ARPU must be insane on single line accounts.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    How is someone who signs up for 1GB of postpaid data on Sprint deemed more valuable when they're paying less? Especially if you bring your own device.
    Most postpaid customers don't bring their own device.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post

    When I was going to experiment with a T-Mobile tablet plan for $35 a month one of the things that stopped me in my tracks was them wanting to run a credit check. I have great credit, but that is besides the point. He said I could of put a deposit down instead of having the credit pull which I still couldn't understand with them billing a month in advance.
    It's because postpaid allows for overages and they run the credit check so they know you are likely to pay your bills.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,227
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    Credit verification is a pain, but you can't really fault Sprint if you didn't answer the questions correctly.
    Exactly. As someone who has suffered ID theft and had someone try to apply for credit in my name, these credit checks are important.

    People want it both ways - easy credit, and secure credit. You can't have it both ways, with the rampant fraud that's happening.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,227
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    Also if you have ever signed up for one of those free credit monitoring services because a retailer's cc database got hacked, like Target, those credit monitoring services interfere with new credit checks.
    No they don't. I had plenty of free credit monitoring services thanks to those hacks, didn't do a thing except alert me that my credit was being pulled for applications I never did. These monitoring services only help you make calls after the fact to repair the false pull and remove the ding from your credit. Fairly useless.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Switching from AT&T and tmobile making it impossible
    By mighty_falcon in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 11:17 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2006, 09:22 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 08:04 AM
  4. Nothing Personal Nokia Rocks But your Sig Makes me SICK!!
    By TelecomZombie in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 08:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks