Thread: Bell Purchases MTS

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score

Bell Purchases MTS

How did I miss this happening? Was it announced earlier or was this completely out of left field?

http://www.androidcentral.com/bell-p...m_medium=gplus

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    So much for 4th player in every province. Goodbye to your low Manitoba plans.

All the wireless spectrum previously reserved for "new entrants" spectrum, including the ones WIND used to own in Manitoba, would now be in the hands of Bell (unless CRTC makes them split it out). What happens to MTS/Rogers network sharing deal? Does it become a 3 way Telus-Bell-Rogers network share in Manitoba?
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Rogers will probably be booted out if Bell buys MTS. I hope the competition bureau blocks this "deal".

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They talked about this for years
    The regulators are out to lunch as another brand gets swallowed whole by the big3

Say goodbye to those Koodo 48 plans now that competition is dead
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    Looks like SK will be the only holdout on the low prices. I'm ok with that as long as Sasktel remains profitable without government assistance.

Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Given that this would add investment and jobs for Manitoba in the long run, considering Bell has already promised $1 billion over 5 years, plus move 6900 jobs to Winnipeg, I don't think there is a chance this gets blocked. However what about this?

So, someone on reddit posted that if the CRTC actually has any balls they might let Bell actually buy all of MTS, but sell of the wireless side of the business to another bidder. Idea was that it would give Shaw, who already has a big Manitoba presence on the internet/TV side a way into the market. Shaw already owns Wind, but does not have spectrum in Manitoba, and this would be a great way for them to get some, plus get 500,000 subscribers.

Shaw bought Wind for $1.6 billion and they got a pretty decent network in major cities across Canada, plus a million customers so good cash flow. They also have decent amount of spectrum but no 700mhz if I remember right. If they bought MTS they would have 700mhz spectrum in Manitoba, plus grow to 1.5 million customers overnight, combine the Wind/MTS networks since MTS has roaming agreements across Canada, and the result would be a viable 4th carrier in Manitoba and across more of Canada. Also, because MTS sold their internet/TV business to Bell, it would create more competition in that space for Manitobans as Bell and Shaw would have to compete with each other.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Yeah this is kind of a joke. Set aside spectrum for new entrants only to let them get bought out and get the spectrum at cheaper than auction price?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogersUser1 View Post
    Looks like SK will be the only holdout on the low prices. I'm ok with that as long as Sasktel remains profitable without government assistance.
    Isn't Sasktel a Crown Corporation owned by the province? That implies government assistance doesn't it?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Bell Purchases MTS

Quote Originally Posted by catechumen View Post
    Isn't Sasktel a Crown Corporation owned by the province? That implies government assistance doesn't it?
    Not if its generating a profit, and the amount of money invested in the company is generating a return. (The government could also sell Sask Tel tomorrow for x billion dollars).Plus People in SK pay less for the Telecom services so everyone is saving money.