Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Tethering and hot spots with non cricket phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ishldknwbttr View Post
    You have project Fi?
    No. Most of my phones are Samsung. I've never owned a Nexus device so I can't speak about the carrier permissions on it. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion or erroneous expectations.

Feedback Score
    I have Moto X (Gen 2) purchased from Moto with Andriod 6.0. No problem tethering or using it as a hotspot on Cricket. Wife's Moto G (3rd Gen) also works with no issues.

Feedback Score
    i have a moto g 3 and a turbo 2....direct from moto....both unlocked and the hotspot works fine. I'm wondering if anyone is able to do this with any iphone that is not rooted. i'm thinking an unlocked verizon iphone might work.

Feedback Score
    Unlike Android devices, on iOS devices, tethering is determined by carrier settings. Non jailbroken iPhones/iPads will not tether on Cricket.

Feedback Score
    My unlocked Moto X (1st Gen) tethers fine. It is Android 5.

Device(s)
    Motorola W315
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel U
    Feedback Score
    I did find this trick on xda that seems to work on my 5X. It is not terribly convenient, but since I don't tether very often, I can live with it.

How to enable HotSpot without a subscription and without unlocking or rooting.
    1) open the sim tray but don't take out the sim card.
    2) push the sim tray back in the phone.
    3) wait 4-5 seconds and then activate hotspot in the settings->more->tethering

If these directions don't help you can see my video on youtube.

Don't ask how I found this but it works for Verizon and AT&T. I have not tested this on any other carriers.
    This works by turning on the hotspot while the phone is provisioning. If you attempt to do this too soon or too late you will trigger the subscription check.
    You will need to perform this everytime you want tethering if you turn tethering off or reboot the phone.
    WAR EAGLE!!!

Feedback Score
    Yes moto G 3rd gen works. Does anyone know if the 4th gen (2016) moto g hotpot works without having to root?

Feedback Score
    wireless hotspot was supported out of the box on my Sony Z3c on the cricket $40 plan. I have a cricket moto G 2nd gen that I got to tether using PDA net, but only bluetooth and USB tether worked(that was not rooted/not unlocked).

Feedback Score

If it's illegal someone should be able to point to a statute.

Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post

If people want to take a risk, sure by all means tether away illegally.
    Can you quote the state or federal statute that makes tethering illegal?

Feedback Score
    Lol, yeah I think at worst the carrier could just dump you

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russellt1 View Post
    Can you quote the state or federal statute that makes tethering illegal?
    It's just a violation of the carrier's term of service.

They may be under the impression it's some type of theft of service which is a computer crime. I don't know and I'm not an attorney but I think it would be hard to prove theft when someone is merely using a service they have paid for in an unintended manner. The most that is likely going to happen is a suspension or cancellation of service. Other than the folks who were using their unlimited SIMs in WiFi devices I have yet to see anyone provide proof in the form of an email or letter being told to cease and desist for tethering. There have been countless posts alluding to this, but never actual documentation.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Back when I had Cricket, I tethered with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, using OS 4.3 (couldn’t go higher without rooting) and the paid version of PDANet.

I’d usually tether a max of 300-400 MB/month although there were a couple of occasions where I tethered ~1 GB/month.

It was slow, but it worked.

Feedback Score
    Anyone else having problems with hotspot lately? I've always been able to use hotspot with my ZTE V8 Pro and BladeZ but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. My laptop connects but I don't have internet. It's giving me a DNS error when trying to connect to websites.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Basic tethering continues to work fine here. Only issue is connecting to my vpn. Seems cricket uses a round robin type of configuration for outbound connections. My firewall picks up attempts from multiple ip's for the l2tp/ipsec vpn connection. This is nothing new and has been on going for some time now.

Device: zte axon 7 with lineage os 7.1.2 (resurrection remix).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Anyone else having problems with hotspot lately? I've always been able to use hotspot with my ZTE V8 Pro and BladeZ but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. My laptop connects but I don't have internet. It's giving me a DNS error when trying to connect to websites.
    is your phone rooted ?? you might try opening command prompt on computer and type - ipconfig/flushdns.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast