Thread: Did You Hear The One About Huawei?

Carrier(s)
    Just switched to Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Post Did You Hear The One About Huawei?

Name:  huawei-p9.png
Views: 361
Size:  228.4 KB

Here's a funny story that you may have missed; it broke while I was on break.

A previous post about 2016 being the year of the dual rear camera smartphone included news of the Huawei P9 and P9 Plus—both with camera modules designed and presumably manufactured by famous German camera maker Leica. Well, guess what? Turns out those modules are actually being made by Sunny Optical Technology of China. Oops.

Huawei and Leica were quick to release a joint statement on the matter, helpfully translated from marketing speak into plain English by Android Police's David Ruddock:

"Leica’s contribution has involved collaborative development, evaluation and optimization of optical design in compliance with Leica standards."

Optimistically: Leica literally helped Huawei design a camera lens system from the ground up. Pessimistically: Leica helped Huawei choose a lens in the Sunny Optical parts bin.
    Ultimately, Huawei and Leica's damage control only adds merit to a previous editorial by David, that smartphones and luxury brand partnerships are generally meaningless.

Sources: Bokeh, Android Police (1) (2)
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    Huawei P9
    Feedback Score
    I have one, outstanding phone.

Device(s)
    Huawei GR5
    Carrier(s)
    Primus/Citifone
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to bump this, but Leica and Zeiss have partnered with digital camera mfrs like Panasonic and Sony for years, and all it means is that you get a Leica or Zeiss logo on your POS (that's point and shoot, not the other meaning...) camera. Maybe a guy from Germany took a trip to Japan to visit HQ, but probably they just emailed a set of specs to the factory in China where they plug it in to the CNC machine grinding out plastic lenses. You sure don't get a hand crafted piece of exquisite Bavarian glass in your camera.

Feedback Score
    Very not a bad brand.

Feedback Score
    Like this brand.