Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Verizon Coverage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,819
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon Coverage

    Today I was looking at Verizon's coverage and noticed they don't offer native coverage in Puerto Rico what's up with that? I expected them to have native coverage service there even AT&T and T-Mobile offer service there

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    123
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Same story on the U.S. Virgin Islands. In fact, only somewhat ok coverage in St. Thomas. AT&T covers all three islands.

    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    Today I was looking at Verizon's coverage and noticed they don't offer native coverage in Puerto Rico what's up with that? I expected them to have native coverage service there even AT&T and T-Mobile offer service there

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,310
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    In Puerto Rico I believe they sold their network there to Claro. Other places I believe they simply don't have licenses.
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

    Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,051
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    0
    Despite what is shown on the map, VZW does have 3G and LTE (Band 13) roaming with Open Mobile in PR. Usage counts as domestic so no usage or roaming charges.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,819
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    In Puerto Rico I believe they sold their network there to Claro. Other places I believe they simply don't have licenses.
    Why did they sell their network in PR do you know?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,310
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    Why did they sell their network in PR do you know?
    Probably due to an overall lack of wealth on the island. Verizon doesn't really cater to lower income demographics.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,819
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    Probably due to an overall lack of wealth on the island. Verizon doesn't really cater to lower income demographics.
    You're right on the money thing. But still it would make sense to keep it for people from the mainland when they go out there to visit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,051
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA, Vodafone ES
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscustomer View Post
    You're right on the money thing. But still it would make sense to keep it for people from the mainland when they go out there to visit.
    Visitors can use Open Mobile 3G & LTE network free of charge.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,819
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max/Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    Visitors can use Open Mobile 3G & LTE network free of charge.
    Yeah I guess they weren't making enough on the island to keep it up

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    225
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Mint Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    When I was in Puerto Rico a few years ago, all of the land line service was managed by Verizon. Did that change too?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,310
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here is the PR coverage for anyone interested. Source: Verizon.cellmaps.com Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1463589010.239374.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  41.0 KB

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm visiting PR next week. I'll have two iPhones - 6-S Plus and my son's SE, plus an ipad. I'm staying in Dorado. According to verizon, I'll get service everywhere and although it'll show as roaming it's all included in my plan. But this forum and some other things I've heard have made me dubious. And I'm wondering if i should plan on using a temp phone with a SIM card from a locally better company. As for the iphones, someone posted that you get better than basic 3G by changing a setting or two but that it's too bad that verizon makes is hard so only phone geeks know how to do it. I don't know how to do it so i wonder if anyone has any ideas what settings to change for optimal service. That plus will i get service in ost of the island and how good will it be?
    Thanks in advance.
    Best, Larry

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,404
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Yeah lots of bad user experiences for Big Red users who travel to Puerto Rico. Not sure why? https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/904212
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Swamp
    Posts
    1,206
    Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Yeah lots of bad user experiences for Big Red users who travel to Puerto Rico. Not sure why? https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/904212
    They either have roaming turned off or don't have a GSM capable phone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,206
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubro View Post
    I'm visiting PR next week. I'll have two iPhones - 6-S Plus and my son's SE, plus an ipad. I'm staying in Dorado. According to verizon, I'll get service everywhere and although it'll show as roaming it's all included in my plan. But this forum and some other things I've heard have made me dubious. And I'm wondering if i should plan on using a temp phone with a SIM card from a locally better company. As for the iphones, someone posted that you get better than basic 3G by changing a setting or two but that it's too bad that verizon makes is hard so only phone geeks know how to do it. I don't know how to do it so i wonder if anyone has any ideas what settings to change for optimal service. That plus will i get service in ost of the island and how good will it be?
    Thanks in advance.
    Best, Larry
    Double check that DATA roaming is included, not just voice.

Similar Threads

  1. Verizon coverage in Rochester/Pittsford
    By acoysighintime in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 10:58 PM
  2. Verizon coverage in Orange County, Cali?
    By Superwizard in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-13-2002, 11:03 PM
  3. Verizon Coverage in...
    By Tim_Wochomurka in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-08-2002, 03:42 PM
  4. Chicago: ATT & Verizon Coverage?
    By Kenster in forum AT&T
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2002, 01:48 PM
  5. Verizon coverage in Long Island and NYC
    By wingkng in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2002, 10:39 PM

Bookmarks