Thread: Please advise - telus internet key vs other solutions for gaming

Feedback Score

Please advise - telus internet key vs other solutions for gaming

I love playing Starcraft 2, and have often enjoyed playing during lunch breaks at work. Since we cannot install anything onto the work laptop, I used my personal laptop. Work hardwired network is super fast, however the open wifi is very slow (which I was trying to use). One day I decided to plug in my personal laptop to the wall connection to see what would happen, and behold, it actually worked (and was amazingly fast). So then I bought a router and had both units on the hardwired connection, rocking along with blazing speeds. Played SC2 during breaks with awesome ping and no latency.

This worked for about 2 years, then my wall connection was disabled by a program IT was running which noted an unknown device (my router). They asked me to remove my router, so now I'm back to using personal PC on the wifi, which is basically not enjoyable at anything beyond very low levels.

Previously (about 2.5 years ago), when I was without internet for a few days while moving, I had tethered my iPhone (with Telus) to my home PC and tried playing. I was surprised that it was really quite good, I hardly noticed a difference compared to my 50mpbs hardwired connection.

So I was thinking maybe I do the same thing again. Problem: My office is in the basement and gets at best 1 bar 3G, and never LTE. Most of the time no signal. So tethering is out. However higher up in the ceiling the signal is decent. I can't be climbing up into the ceiling to place my phone there to get a connection every time I want to play, so I was thinking maybe I get a Telus internet key and place it there, and run usb cable down to laptop. It would be $20/month, sharing data with my other Telus devices (3 other phones). Gaming despite requiring fast ping, actually eats very little data.

The other option is the mobile internet router. Same idea, except it would send wifi instead of go along a usb cable. I'm thinking there would be more latency with this option right? In either case, I believe there are antennas available. Is this a good plan? Any other suggestions?

Device(s)
    Motorola Defy
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    A few questions. Why did you use a router originally? If you have a wired network connection then a 4 port switch can let you split one connection into 4. Easier and cheaper than a router.

Why not use a cell phone booster (search for Wilson cell phone booster on amazon.ca)? There's no monthly fee. Get one with a cradle for the phone and an antenna you can put anywhere. I use one at a friend's cabin. It's 35km from the nearest tower and gives me a decent signal for vice and data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hinglemar View Post
    A few questions. Why did you use a router originally? If you have a wired network connection then a 4 port switch can let you split one connection into 4. Easier and cheaper than a router.

Why not use a cell phone booster (search for Wilson cell phone booster on amazon.ca)? There's no monthly fee. Get one with a cradle for the phone and an antenna you can put anywhere. I use one at a friend's cabin. It's 35km from the nearest tower and gives me a decent signal for vice and data.
    Do you get LTE with this?

For the booster - are there ones you do not need to place anything outside or drill any holes? I am guessing I will not be allowed to do either.

Reason for router is that I did initially try the switch, but it did not work. I kept having to reset it each time I wanted to switch devices. Router worked flawlessly. Regardless, the switch will not prevent my IT department from noticing an unknown device (my personal laptop) on their network, which is what they are objecting to.

Device(s)
    Motorola Defy
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    You should get LTE with a booster. They're simply a radio frequency amplifier. You said you got a signal near the ceiling so put the antenna there and your phone on your desk.

Device(s)
    BB Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Poweruser (15+ lines)
    Feedback Score
    You should get LTE with a booster. They're simply a radio frequency amplifier. You said you got a signal near the ceiling so put the antenna there and your phone on your desk.
    Can you recommend a good booster for a house? The cell signal is not so great in my area and Telus said go buy a booster, but all the ones I've found are super expensive!
    Telus Client for over 13 years - My Plans:

$25/month + SAF/911/tax
    250 Daytime Mins // Unlimited Incoming // Unlimited E&W @ 6 pm // Unlimited Telus to Telus Nationwide // Unlimited Text Messaging // Business Bundle 10 // 100 Long Distance Mins

$57/month + SAF/911/tax
    1350 Daytime Mins // Unlimited Incoming // Unlimited E&W @ 5 pm // Unlimited Telus to Telus Nationwide // Unlimited Text Messaging // Business Bundle 10 // Corp 15

Feedback Score
    Given that this is signal to booster, then repeated signal to phone (2 steps), would this affect ping? The ping is the most important thing to me.

Feedback Score
    Update: I bought a netgear 340U aircard off ebay (same one telus sells) for $90, and put it up near the ceiling in my office. It gets 2-3 bars and is not too bad. It will cost me $10/month and shares my 12GB data. Results were comparable to the public wifi, ie occasionally ok but mostly poor. Then I went to the speedtest website and noticed an add for speedify and downloaded it. It combines connections, and seem to get me 2-ish mpbs which is an improvement. I'm not sure if there would be any advantage regarding ping doing it this way.

So now I want to try to add a booster of some kind - I need to find something that works with the 340U, any suggestions?