Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which frequency bands does Telus use for LTE?

Feedback Score

Which frequency bands does Telus use for LTE?

I have 3 devices on Telus and would like to stick with them. I am trying to buy a third party internet stick from ebay, because it is much cheaper than buying from Telus and avoids a contract. Telus rep told me that Telus LTE uses 1900mhz, and 3G uses 850mhz. I am having trouble confirming this online but I don't know much about it yet.

I was looking at a stick which lists LTE frequency bands of 800/900/1800/2100/2600mhz. The rep sounded somewhat unsure (like he was just saying something to say something), but assuming he is right, this stick would not be able to use LTE on telus, correct?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Telus uses band 4 (1700 MHz) for LTE.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    Telus uses band 4 (1700 MHz) for LTE.
    Thanks, that's what wikipedia says too. Just got off the phone with a second Telus rep, this time telling me 2100. Sigh. Is there some kind of official listing somewhere?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He's partially right. It's AWS (1700/2100). Here is an old Telus press release mentioning this. This is as official as you're gonna get.

http://about.telus.com/community/eng...g-wireless-lte

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    He's partially right. It's AWS (1700/2100). Here is an old Telus press release mentioning this. This is as official as you're gonna get.

http://about.telus.com/community/eng...g-wireless-lte
    Ok thanks. A chat rep told me "LTE operates on 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink. It also operates on 1900 MHz, 700 MHz and 850 MHz. Essentially it runs on multiple band of frequenzies. The source is through our internal documents"

I am trying to find out if this stick will work work:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlocked-Huaw...AAAOSwAYtWPcpI

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogersUser1 View Post
    It also operates on 1900 MHz, 700 MHz and 850 MHz. Essentially it runs on multiple band of frequenzies. The source is through our internal documents"
    Telus does not use these frequencies for LTE. 850/1900 are used for HSPA+.

I am trying to find out if this stick will work work:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlocked-Huaw...AAAOSwAYtWPcpI
    Nope, it doesn't have the right frequencies. There is no AWS for LTE and no 850 or 1900 for HSPA+.

Feedback Score
    Telus uses the following bands for LTE: 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 29 (DL only), but it really depends on your location.

Some bands are available more than others. Where are you located?

Band 4 (AWS) is the most widely deployed. It is referred to as 2100 internally by Telus staff, but it is called 1700 by people on these forums. This is done to avoid confusion with Band 1 (2100 MHz).

3G operates on 850 and 1900 (bands 5 and 2), but recently this spectrum is being re-farmed for LTE, so depending on your location, you may have it for LTE as well.

The device you listed could only work on Band 7 (2600) LTE if available in your area.

Hope that helps.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Telus uses the following bands for LTE: 2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 29 (DL only), but it really depends on your location.

Some bands are available more than others. Where are you located?

Band 4 (AWS) is the most widely deployed. It is referred to as 2100 internally by Telus staff, but it is called 1700 by people on these forums. This is done to avoid confusion with Band 1 (2100 MHz).

3G operates on 850 and 1900 (bands 5 and 2), but recently this spectrum is being re-farmed for LTE, so depending on your location, you may have it for LTE as well.

The device you listed could only work on Band 7 (2600) LTE if available in your area.

Hope that helps.
    Very much it does help! Thank you!

I am in Regina.

I think my confusion stems from the 1700/2100 naming issue. If I understand you correctly, I should be looking for a device that is listed as using 1700 for LTE then? Why does Telus call it 2100 if it is really 1700?

Another question: The internet key on Telus website is the Netgear 340U. They call it 4G LTE, seen here:
    http://www.telus.com/en/sk/mobility/...MobileInternet
    But this same model found on ebay, in the ad says '4G LTE 700/850/AWS/1900 Mhz Bands 2, 4, 5, and 17'
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlocked-Netg...AAAOSwInVXHTxW

With the Telus website set to my province, it says I can order it. Is it therefore a safe bet that I can order it from ebay and it will work for LTE? Should I be focusing on the 'band 4' rather than the specific frequencies?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    To ease with the confusion try to refer to LTE by the band number. Like Sheytoon did. So for LTE (1700/2100), just refer it as band 4.
    Even in Sheytoons post, 4 of those bands can be referred to as 700Mhz.
    3G frequencies tend to be referred to as frequency. 850Mhz and 1900Mhz for Telus.

Just for the previous posters info, Telus has definitely deployed more then just band 4. In my area they have deployed band 4, 5 & 17.

Feedback Score
    In Regina, the RAN is owned and operated by Sasktel, and they allow Bell and Telus users to access it. I'm not sure about Sasktel's network to be honest. I could give you better info in Telus and Bell areas.

The reason for the confusion is that each frequency band is actually a pair of frequencies, one frequency for downlink and another for uplink. This way uplink and downlink data do not collide with each other and there is no interference. This method of separating uplink and downlink is called Frequency Division Duplexing (FDD). Another option is TDD, which is not common in Canada.

For Band 4 (aka AWS), the uplink frequency is around 1700 MHz and the downlink is around 2100. There is no standardized notation, so some people call it 1700, others call it 2100, or 1700/2100, or AWS, or Band 4. I prefer to use the band number, as there is no confusion.

A list of band numbers and frequencies is available here: http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php

Feedback Score
    In Regina, the RAN is owned and operated by Sasktel, and they allow Bell and Telus users to access it. I'm not sure about Sasktel's network to be honest. I could give you better info in Telus and Bell areas.

The reason for the confusion is that each frequency band is actually a pair of frequencies, one frequency for downlink and another for uplink. This way uplink and downlink data do not collide with each other and there is no interference. This method of separating uplink and downlink is called Frequency Division Duplexing (FDD). Another option is TDD, which is not common in Canada.

For Band 4 (aka AWS), the uplink frequency is around 1700 MHz and the downlink is around 2100. There is no standardized notation, so some people call it 1700, others call it 2100, or 1700/2100, or AWS, or Band 4. I prefer to use the band number, as there is no confusion.

A list of band numbers and frequencies is available here: http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php
    Thank you that's much clearer!

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

In addition to Band 4, I know Sasktel got the C1 block of the 700Mhz auction for Saskatchewan. (Band 13), don't know if they've deployed. On their site they advertise 150Mbps download LTE, so they must be using 20Mhz of Band 4 LTE.

I have no idea if they have re farmed any Band 2 or 5, but I doubt it. Telus/Bell re farmed mainly the bandwidth they were using for their CDMA network, I'm guessing Sasktel isn't because I believe their network has always been GSM.

Feedback Score
    I think you're mistaken about the GSM part. Sasktel's legacy network is also CDMA.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just to add, for completeness sake, they have also started to deploy band 40 WCS very sparsely. However, unlike Band 7, it covers many smaller towns throughout BC.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    Just to add, for completeness sake, they have also started to deploy band 40 WCS very sparsely. However, unlike Band 7, it covers many smaller towns throughout BC.
    I could be wrong but it looks as if Telus picked up a lot of Xplornet's WCS that they weren't using http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf11191.html. So band 30 might be on its way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast