Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Myrtle beach - little river sc band 5 850 MHz

Feedback Score

Myrtle beach - little river sc band 5 850 MHz

So I just noticed that I have 2-3 Lte bars in my house in little river sc. Always had cell spot hooked up so I didn't realize that. Cell spot runs on band 4. Only reason I noticed is that I reset my cable modem and my cell spot went off line

But I am currently on band 5 850 MHz !!

If I remember correctly this is the only one in the country ?!? Please correct me if I'm wrong

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1464915203.894052.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  33.8 KB

Feedback Score
    According to this 850 mhz is being used in few areas and att roaming http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-850MHz-at-all

Feedback Score
    Here is from my wife's iPhone 6 Little River sc

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1464916334.466875.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  37.9 KB

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. I was wondering if T-Mobile was every going to seriously utilize the 850 license in Myrtle Beach.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Interesting. I was wondering if T-Mobile was every going to seriously utilize the 850 license in Myrtle Beach.
    You aren't the only one. Seems like they might have. even tho T-Mobile rep says that T-Mobile doesn't use band 5 Lte I showed him proof and he didn't reply after I sent in the field test to him.

Lol. I will bother them about this now until I get a answer lol

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    CMA 629!

Spectrum is spectrum. I see no reason to squander legacy beachfront property. Magenta can thank Suncom for the license, a happy accident.

Almost everything supports Band 5 GSM/UMTS. Band 5 LTE will be omnipresent shortly.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This must be recent. I was just down there a few weekends ago and I didn't pick up band 5.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why wouldn't they use it?? It's the only low band TMO currently has there...

Unless they planned on trading it with ATT for the Band 12 A-Block, but hey, 10x10Mhz 850 is better than 5x5Mhz 700.....

And most of the current phones will support it as well....

Feedback Score
    This is really cool

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    Why wouldn't they use it?? .......Unless they planned on trading it with ATT for the Band 12 A-Block,.......
    It sat there for so long with only a minimal GSM coverage active that I certainly began to wonder if they had some other plans for it.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Nice!

Yes, this is T-Mobile's only 850Mhz license in the country and it will be the only Band 5 LTE they will have online in the foreseeable future. T-Mobile phones have supported Band 5 LTE for roaming purposes for a long time, so it makes sense that they'd make use of it. As pointed out, it's more bandwidth than a 700a license would be, and they already have it.

It's really just a neat little thing for those of us nerdy enough to care.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Care to do a speed test or two?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MEDIX1011 View Post
    Why wouldn't they use it?? It's the only low band TMO currently has there...

Unless they planned on trading it with ATT for the Band 12 A-Block, but hey, 10x10Mhz 850 is better than 5x5Mhz 700.....

And most of the current phones will support it as well....

The reason T-Mobile owns 850 Mhz (Cellular A) in Myrtle Beach is the same reason that AT&T owns 700 Mhz Block A in Myrtle Beach. This is part of the FCC agreement to end the 700 Mhz Block A interoperability issue. This all goes back to the court case that Cspire started over the 700 Mhz interoperability back in 2013 when cell phone & tower equipment Mfg were not making Band 12 equipment. Cspire was going to court over this under the The Sherman Antitrust Act.

Long story short the FCC got AT&T to agree to buy some 700 Mhz block "A" Band 12 spectrum and to work with T-Mobile to fix the interoperability issue and Myrtle Beach was the area. In September 2013, AT&T agreed to reverse its position and support both Band Class 17 alongside Band Class 12. Specifically, the company said it will develop, implement and deploy throughout its network multi-frequency band indicator (MFBI) capabilities to support the interoperability.

Supporting docs;

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ity/2013-09-10

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ble/2015-10-05

"Cellular South, otherwise known as C-Spire, and its affiliates, Corr Wireless Communications and Cellular South Licenses, have filed an antitrust lawsuit in a U.S. federal court in the Northern District of Mississippi. The lawsuit, which was launched in April, alleges that AT&T and its suppliers Qualcomm and Motorola worked together to push it and other small regional wireless operators out of business by manipulating the standards process that establishes specifications for mobile devices."

http://www.cnet.com/news/c-spire-how...wireless-firm/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The reason T-Mobile owns 850 Mhz (Cellular A) in Myrtle Beach is the same reason that AT&T owns 700 Mhz Block A in Myrtle Beach. This is part of the FCC agreement to end the 700 Mhz Block A interoperability issue. This all goes back to the court case that Cspire started over the 700 Mhz interoperability back in 2013 when cell phone & tower equipment
    That pretty much covers why they still have these licenses. My understanding (which can be flawed) was that the 850 MHz license was part of the merger with MetroPCS. I don't know how AT&T obtained the 700A license. Any history on that count?

Feedback Score

Myrtle beach - little river sc band 5 850 MHz

So this morning I was driving north. Closest T-Mobile tower is 1 mile away from my house. In which that tower broadcasts at band 4. I am currently trying to find the tower which shoots band 5 to my phone. Now I thought perhaps it's my 6s plus that's on iOS 9.3.3 Beta 1 And maybe I was getting a false reading until I picked up my wife's phone. Her is on iOS 9.3.2. iPhone 6 Her and mine phone shows band 5. But only 2 bars most of the time. Sometimes and not often I get 3 bars. Last night I did a speed test and gotten 10 mbits down and 1 mbit up. I will do a speed test in few. And post that screen shot for you guys.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast