Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by stinky_feelpol View Post
    So much great information. Thank you all.
    So, anyone here used AT&T Wifi Calling? Their website says that if you do not have a good cell connection, you can talk or text over wifi . That would be really useful if I was travelling internationally .

How does it work if it does work? Do I still need the AT&T sim card installed when I am travelling internationally or can I use a local SIM?

Do all devices work or only specific devices.

I would pay the extra $20 for post paid in a heartbeat if I am able to call and text thru wifi while travelling overseas and have my USA number show on people's caller ID
    Actually, Wi-Fi calling is supported on AT&T Prepaid, too (it used to be only AT&T postpaid, then it got added to Cricket, and more recently AT&T Prepaid). Postpaid still gives you Apple Watch/other wearable support with NumberSync and the ability to get calls on other iCloud devices in different places (if you use Apple devices, they'd have to be in the same location/Wi-Fi network to support it on AT&T Prepaid).

Although nobody has reported on specific uses, when it rolled out for Cricket, it seemed to follow the rules for AT&T postpaid: there aren't location restrictions in general other than it not working in a few countries: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/fe...i-calling.html

Wi-Fi Calling is restricted in the following countries: China, Saudi Arabia, India, Turkey, Israel, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Pakistan, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
    I see no reason why AT&T Prepaid would be any different. You'd keep your AT&T SIM card in your phone and in areas without native AT&T coverage that you have Wi-Fi, it would say "AT&T Wi-Fi" in the carrier field (I've thrown my phone on Cricket in airplane mode, but left Wi-Fi on and it connects for Wi-Fi calling - also handy in some of the basement network closets and server rooms at work where I may need to use a phone and have Wi-Fi, but no chance in getting a cell signal).

What kind of device do you have? AT&T is more restrictive about compatible devices than T-Mobile or Verizon.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi I currently have an ulocked HTC One A9 bought new online around 2 years ago and it works fine. The phone was released in 2015 september. I usually buy phones that are under $250 and they have so far worked for me fine.

When I google HTC One A9 Wifi calling, I get instructions for sprint phones, but nothing for unlocked independent GSM phones. I wonder if it would need to be an AT&T branded phone with Wifi calling capability.

I would not be travelling to the countries that you mentioned that restrict wifi calling

Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Actually, Wi-Fi calling is supported on AT&T Prepaid, too (it used to be only AT&T postpaid, then it got added to Cricket, and more recently AT&T Prepaid). Postpaid still gives you Apple Watch/other wearable support with NumberSync and the ability to get calls on other iCloud devices in different places (if you use Apple devices, they'd have to be in the same location/Wi-Fi network to support it on AT&T Prepaid).

Although nobody has reported on specific uses, when it rolled out for Cricket, it seemed to follow the rules for AT&T postpaid: there aren't location restrictions in general other than it not working in a few countries: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/fe...i-calling.html

I see no reason why AT&T Prepaid would be any different. You'd keep your AT&T SIM card in your phone and in areas without native AT&T coverage that you have Wi-Fi, it would say "AT&T Wi-Fi" in the carrier field (I've thrown my phone on Cricket in airplane mode, but left Wi-Fi on and it connects for Wi-Fi calling - also handy in some of the basement network closets and server rooms at work where I may need to use a phone and have Wi-Fi, but no chance in getting a cell signal).

What kind of device do you have? AT&T is more restrictive about compatible devices than T-Mobile or Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by stinky_feelpol View Post
    Hi I currently have an ulocked HTC One A9 bought new online around 2 years ago and it works fine. The phone was released in 2015 september. I usually buy phones that are under $250 and they have so far worked for me fine.

When I google HTC One A9 Wifi calling, I get instructions for sprint phones, but nothing for unlocked independent GSM phones. I wonder if it would need to be an AT&T branded phone with Wifi calling capability.

I would not be travelling to the countries that you mentioned that restrict wifi calling
    Nothing wrong with that - AT&T is pretty picky about what gets Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE for "certification" and "reliability" reasons. On the BYOD Android side of things I think it's basically a few Samsungs and the Pixels. Otherwise, if it's Android, it's gotta be AT&T-branded. It's the same way for postpaid and prepaid. :-/

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have a post paid AT&T line my company provides me and my personal phone on AT&T Prepaid. The Post Paid data speeds are faster but prepaid is not slow. When 1 works the other does. When one does not same for the other. I travel over 50,000 miles a year across the Carolinas Virginia and Tennessee. I have never once had the post paid phone work and the prepaid phone not.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4