Thread: Want to cancel line and port number out- best method?

Feedback Score

Want to cancel line and port number out- best method?

I go in an out of a fourth line of service based on needs at work. I have a 6s 64 gig that I'm gonna sell for 400 bucks, and use the proceeds to pay my 350 termination fee.

Problem is I need to port my number to google voice first - I need to keep that number. I had a buyer lined up but that google port didn't go through quick enough and when I lost the buyers interest- I just cancelled the port.

Question is this: can't I just buy a 20 dollar sprint flip phone (or used sharp aquos lol) and that will "free up" the 6s to sell? Then- I can port my number to google voice and just pay the 350 ETF with the next bill?

Phone was purchased in April with a 2 year contract. My basis in the phone is zero dollars is the only reason I would walk away.

Any other suggestions on best method to sell and terminate line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You can port just by submitting the request to GV. When the port goes through your line will be cancelled.

You would need to deregister the 6s from your line and replace it with something else, but I don't know if a standard flip will work - it should though. The 6s is yours to do as you wish, it just won't be unlocked until the contract is fulfilled:the ETF is paid.

Keep the Sprint SIM with the 6s. It is going to be a pain for the new buyer to activate without that SIM since Sprint ties the SIM to the IMEI and it isn't easy to get a replacement SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    You can port just by submitting the request to GV. When the port goes through your line will be cancelled.

You would need to deregister the 6s from your line and replace it with something else, but I don't know if a standard flip will work - it should though. The 6s is yours to do as you wish, it just won't be unlocked until the contract is fulfilled:the ETF is paid.

Keep the Sprint SIM with the 6s. It is going to be a pain for the new buyer to activate without that SIM since Sprint ties the SIM to the IMEI and it isn't easy to get a replacement SIM.
    Thanks! Can't I "deregister" the 6s with another phone and sell it before I port out the number? That makes the transaction smoother and doesn't require any cash from me before I sell the phone.

If I do it that way- there is no ETF at the time the customer buys my phone and it will be clear. It used to work that way, but things may have changed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccarlmcracken View Post
    Thanks! Can't I "deregister" the 6s with another phone and sell it before I port out the number? That makes the transaction smoother and doesn't require any cash from me before I sell the phone.

If I do it that way- there is no ETF at the time the customer buys my phone and it will be clear. It used to work that way, but things may have changed.
    I think Sprint requires your service to be tied to a phone, so I don't know. Sprint does give you time to pay the ETF (10 days?, 30days?), so it doesn't need to be paid right when you port.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400zr View Post
    I think Sprint requires your service to be tied to a phone, so I don't know. Sprint does give you time to pay the ETF (10 days?, 30days?), so it doesn't need to be paid right when you port.
    I've ported 3 weeks ago and and still haven't gotten the charge...yet.