Thread: Viaero Wireless Home Internet changes: Peak/Off-peak Metering.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Viaero Wireless Home Internet changes: Peak/Off-peak Metering.

I guess Netflix is killing their DC-HSPA+ and 5-10MHz LTE network . Old tiers are now grandfathered. I cannot add anymore.

Viaero changed their billing and metering model for home internet tiers around June 1st. In general, it's a change for the worse in my opinion.

Old:

100GB at 2Mbps for $40/month (discontinued earlier this year)
    200GB at 4Mbps for $50/month
    200GB at 8Mbps for $70/month

Overages $1 per GB

https://web.archive.org/web/20160401...phone-internet

New: 7am to midnight is peak. No rate limiting (though i rarely see north of 10Mbps). Off-peak is totally unlimited.

25GB on peak for $30/month
    50GB on peak for $50/month
    90GB on peak for $90/month
    250GB on peak for $150/month

Not sure what the new overage rate is.

http://www.viaero.com/shop/plans/home-phone-internet/

There is also a "ProConnect" Unlimited tier with a fair use of 15GB per day. Price not advertised:

http://www.viaero.com/docs/default-s...6.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Since they have so many home users, they would probably benefit a lot if they throttled video on their network like T-Mobile does with Binge On to 480p quality. Or if the tower is really congested, they could even do 600kbps (360p) like Sprint used to do.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm just really sad to see the old 'effectively unlimited' tiers go away. It's basically a 3x in pricing for the same level of service offered last month

Ironically, the new cheaper $30/month tier fits some of my use cases better.

It is still south of $2 per GB. The national carriers really need to get their pricing down into this space. $10-20GB is usury. If anything, Viaero is simply responding to market pressure (or lack thereof). $0.25 per GB was WAY cheaper than the Big 4.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Got a response back from Viaero for details. Overages are still $1 per GB.

Also Viaero 365 service is alive. It's residential fixed LTE internet access (professionally installed with indoor or outdoor antenna and delivered via Ethernet to your equipment). They sell it based on speed tiers and it's unlimited starting at $50/month. It is available in LTE coverage zones. The modem fee is about $300 and $50 installation.

Feedback Score
    I signed up very shortly after they upgraded from 2g (that service was unusable around here). It was "unlimited" at the time. Roughly two months later I got a letter saying there would be a 100GB cap. Ended up with a 200GB cap, so not too shabby. But, I was immediately put on the new plan. I also asked them about it this time, and they said they aren't switching people in contract, and I am not in contract, but I won't be switched. Since they did it last time, I suspect soon they will do it again, despite what they say about grandfathering in. I hope I am wrong. The new upgrade will likely take some time to get here, like the upgrade from 2g, it was "coming soon" for several years. Pricing isn't too bad if that's what it is, I don't like the equipment fee but not too bad. I had to pay that much for my cell booster, which I need in order to get a signal at less than 5 miles from the tower.

Still better than satellite. I wish Verizon would have a viable home option though, much better signal and performance. I don't care about blazing speed, but when the leaves are on I have signal issues (not equipment on my end). It doesn't multitask well, if something is downloading, no browsing, etc. In winter I get a much better signal, and I can do multiple things at once.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I've been using the new $30 tier on a handful of systems. It is indeed totally unlimited during off peak hours.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    There is also a "ProConnect" Unlimited tier with a fair use of 15GB per day. Price not advertised:
    Viaero has finally started advertising the ProConnect service. It is indeed 15GB per day fair use and has attractive pricing: http://www.viaero.com/shop/plans/home-phone-internet/

Speed Monthly
    5 Mbps $49.95
    10 Mbps $69.95
    15 Mbps $89.95

These services are "fixed LTE." Viaero sends technicians to install it similar to how satellite TV is installed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, Viaero is being pretty stingy about where they are willing to deploy ProConnect. You basically have to be awash in Band 4 LTE signal. They seem unwilling to be willing to sell it in some LTE markets. It appears to be in the markets were they only have PCS Band 2 LTE deployed. They also have contractors that install the fixed LTE equipment.

The newer HomeConnect tiers are available anywhere on the native footprint and you can bring your own equipment.