Thread: Group SMS from iPhone Using Native App - Possible?

Feedback Score

Question Group SMS from iPhone Using Native App - Possible?

This is a no-brainer on Android, but seems to be a vexing issue on iPhones. It appears we're finally able to create contact groups using iCloud contacts, but is it possible to send a broadcast SMS - not an interactive group message - but a one-way outbound SMS using the native iPhone messaging app without needing to install or use third party apps?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
    This is a no-brainer on Android, but seems to be a vexing issue on iPhones. It appears we're finally able to create contact groups using iCloud contacts, but is it possible to send a broadcast SMS - not an interactive group message - but a one-way outbound SMS using the native iPhone messaging app without needing to install or use third party apps?
    Unfortunately you will need to start a message and when adding a contact, keep adding contacts until you are through. Then compose your message and click send. The group message will be interactive by all members in the group, as they should be, or at least I would hope so.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    Unfortunately you will need to start a message and when adding a contact, keep adding contacts until you are through. Then compose your message and click send. The group message will be interactive by all members in the group, as they should be, or at least I would hope so.
    Wow, this is still a huge defect with Apple products. Why is it so difficult to do a simple task like this?

I assume you can send an email to a group, if not a SMS? Or you need to add people one at a time with email too?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

Group SMS from iPhone Using Native App - Possible?

Wow, this is still a huge defect with Apple products. Why is it so difficult to do a simple task like this?

I assume you can send an email to a group, if not a SMS? Or you need to add people one at a time with email too?
    Once your group is created you can send as many messages as you want, but the group will still be interactive.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202724
    Last edited by Doolie; 06-29-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Feedback Score
    so the group needs to be setup in messenger first, then it becomes permanent, even if other members are not iPhone users? How about email groups? Can you send a message to everyone just by typing in the name of a contact group created in iCloud contacts?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

Group SMS from iPhone Using Native App - Possible?

so the group needs to be setup in messenger first, then it becomes permanent, even if other members are not iPhone users? How about email groups? Can you send a message to everyone just by typing in the name of a contact group created in iCloud contacts?
    Not at all. I was included in a group message SMS, just fine that someone else created on their non-iPhone. You can also set up groups many other ways.

As far as email addresses, the Messages app works with email addresses as well as cellphone numbers. I just set up a group message that included email addresses as well as cell phone numbers, just fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    Once your group is created you can send as many messages as you want, but the group will still be interactive.
    Only if Settings > Messages > Group Messaging > ON.

If Settings > Messages > Group Messaging > OFF, then it does what the OP is asking, ie. "non-interactive".

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post

If Settings > Messages > Group Messaging > OFF, then it does what the OP is asking, ie. "non-interactive".
    Thank you. I haven't messed with that setting. Good to know.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post

Your phone might not even have that setting. Mine doesn't and it appears to depend on your carrier. Apple support pages say if you don't see the option to contact your carrier.
    iPhone 7, 128GB, matte black: Sept. 14, 2017 - VIRGIN
    iPhone 6, 64GB, space grey: Nov. 3, 2014 - BELL / Nov. 13, 2015 - VIRGIN
    iPhone 5, 32GB, white: Nov. 21, 2012 - BELL
    iPhone 4, 32GB, black: Sept. 2, 2010 - ROGERS