Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: What has your experience been like with Project Fi?

Device(s)
    Motorola V300
    Carrier(s)
    Roger's
    Feedback Score
    Project Fi has major issues in rural areas because it's a pretty dumb network setup to be on T-Mobile by default and fall back only after a (long) period of outage and they won't let you override it.

For instance, west of Rt 3 in NH, USCC has VASTLY more reliable coverage than T-Mobile. Same in all of Vermont and North of Concord NH.

Project FI should use passive GPS to identify this and switch unless you're on a call and it should do it proactively and quickly, because T-Mobile is all but unusable in these areas. (even when T-Mobile does have coverage, it will drop to roaming on USCC's CDMA network which does a hard hand off and your call gets dropped and you only get Edge speeds when USCC has LTE)

And then when I cross into MA it should automatically switch back to T-Mobile in the same way. There's no reason not to do this because passive GPS is available and doesn't use the battery because it's already happening anyhow.

Further, if GPS is already in use then Project FI should be actively using an accurate map and your direction to prepare new connections and hand off between carriers. I.e. if you're in the car and charging it should use GPS to determine your direction and rate of travel and already have hand-offs prepared for quick switch as necessary. Better would be to hook into Google Maps and Waze and actually pull destinations and prepare connections as you go.

While this isn't necessary in most cities it makes Project Fi maddening in rural areas. And you can't even manually override it and force it to stay on USCC as an example where I live in Western NH because after about 6 hours it switches back to T-Mobile anyhow. If I forget and need to get on a conference call it drops about a mile from my house on T-Mobile and will drop 6 times in 15 miles in any direction on T-Mobile whereas on USCC it will be LTE with 100% stable calls for 40+ miles all about south into MA where I need to do a forced switch to T-Mobile.

Of course if USCC finally gets VoLTE working in Western NH, Vermont etc. and T-Mobile turns on roaming the point is moot. And similar of the Sprint deal goes through because ironically Sprint has vastly better native coverage on Fi in Western NH and some parts of Vermont than T-Mobile does.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Using signal spy and the instructions above I was able to switch to us cellular and it has stayed there since I switched last night. I am in Columbia mo. At the moment which is a college town. Tmo and sprint get jammed esp during an event. But not as much us cellular. So far so good now that I am learning the tricks.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Device(s)
    Motorola V300
    Carrier(s)
    Roger's
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn View Post
    Using signal spy and the instructions above I was able to switch to us cellular and it has stayed there since I switched last night. I am in Columbia mo. At the moment which is a college town. Tmo and sprint get jammed esp during an event. But not as much us cellular. So far so good now that I am learning the tricks.
    It won't stay there permanently unless there is no T-Mobile coverage where you are. It will drop back to T-Mobile whether you force it with signal spy or not.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10