Thread: Verizon 2G shut down by 12-31-2019

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Verizon 2G shut down by 12-31-2019

Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Agree 100%. It's the last low band auction for a very long time. If Shammo doesn't think they need a nationwide block of 2x10 600 he's sorely mistaken.
    Maybe my logic is flawed, but as time goes on and their network densifies, shouldn't low band become less relevant? I mean of course it will never not be very important but at the point where a network is so dense then a single 10x10 should be ok for the odd spots that mid and high band don't cover. For rural areas, I would think pretty much the same thing, since AWS and PCS are already proven to actually be able to travel pretty long distances. I think them having another 20mhz chunk of low band would be not much more then a luxury. And of course don't forget about that nice chunk of 850 they own in most places. If anything they can just ensure they win 600 where they don't have any 850 licenses.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nostaldia View Post
    The Band 13 rules benefit us all.
    Nope. It only applies to band 13 and even the 600 MHz spectrum won't have these rules even though it's going to be superior spectrum. How is that fair? There is ZERO benefit. If t-mobile had to follow band 13 rules they certainly wouldn't have unlimited data they wouldn't have Binge On. If Verizon didn't have to abide by band 13 rules they could offer unlimited data because they could actually limit tethering which they can't do under band 13 rules. Unlimited tethering is why Verizon wants to get rid of unlimited data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunya_Bizness View Post
    Nope.
    Yes, you aren't making sense.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This will be a problem if they don't densify their lte network. In almost every building I went to that wasn't only a mile away from the nearest Verizon tower lost lte indoors. You'd get 1 bar of lte if you were lucky but it was then usually 1x.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, LG G7 ThinQ, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fflip8 View Post
    This will be a problem if they don't densify their lte network. In almost every building I went to that wasn't only a mile away from the nearest Verizon tower lost lte indoors. You'd get 1 bar of lte if you were lucky but it was then usually 1x.
    Here in Northwestern California? I've had very little trouble with that in Mendocino, Lake, Humboldt or Sonoma Counties.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shakrai View Post
    Mind you, I have a Motorola Nexus 6, and Motorola has a longstanding and well deserved reputation for radio quality. They pull usable signals where other devices have none. It's a shame they're largely irrelevant. Samsung and LG make flashy devices but I don't think they realize that there are parts of the United States outside of the major cities with dense coverage.
    From what I've discovered, the Motorola Nexus 6 uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 modem, the Samsung Galaxy S7 uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon X12 modem, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon X5 modem, the same modem the iPhone 6 uses. Even most of LG's "G" series uses Qualcomm Snapdragon processors and modems. I think any differences in reception performance would simply come down to antenna design and placement.

Feedback Score
    I knew about the LED; Cyanogenmod uses it for notifications rather than Motorola's preferred "Active Display" nonsense.
    Oh okay. reminds me of the status LED on the HTC Droid DNA. I think there was a phone that had two, one on the front when the phone was face up and another on the back when the phone was face down.

Feedback Score
    No kidding. As of March 31st Verizon already had 85% smartphone penetration and 95% of those were 4G phones. Every phone sold in the last 18 months or so is HD calling capable. I would say at least 50% of the smartphones on their network are VoLTE capable now. By late 2019 smartphones will be 95% or more and 99.95% at least will be VoLTE capable.
    I really hope this happens sooner then 2019. It'd be great to have HD Voice aka VoLTE the default calling method. The sound quality is just so amazing.
    Last edited by DebiLee; 07-15-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    First statement is just absolutely not true. Do you have source for the other two statements? Not saying you aren't correct, but I'd be really surprised if 50% are volte capable. I know lot's of people who keep a phone three or four years. Not everybody buys the latest and greatest.
    To be completely blunt, VoLTE has been out since 2014, so there is a chance of it being in the realm of possibility. I myself don't always buy the latest and greatest, mainly because I can't afford to, but sometimes because I just don't see the appeal of needing to just because something is brand new. You'd never catch me camping outside a store to buy the latest iPhone. I'd just be camping outside a store for the experience, like going out on Black Friday and having no game plan or intention of buying anything.
    Last edited by DebiLee; 07-15-2016 at 07:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    Yeah go to the Verizon website and shop for a phone. Site list 28 phones. 25 of which are HD voice capable https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/hd-voice/ of course there are many phones they no longer sell that are also HD voice capable.

iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6s and 6s Plus are all VoLTE capable. iPhones make up over 40% of all phones on Verizon's network and those 4 make up the majority of iPhones in use. As you know iPhone users DO in fact upgrade more often. Now if we assume that 80% of all iPhones on Verizon network are the four I mentioned and iPhones overall are 40% of all phones on Verizon's network are iPhones then math says that 32% of all phones on Verizon's network are those four phones. So to get to 50% we only need roughly 30% of android phones on Verizon's network to be VoLTE capable. I'll bet any amount of money that is the case at the very minimum.
    Don't forget the iPhone SE and the Samsung Galaxy S5, S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+, S7, S7 Edge, Note 3, Note 4, and Note5. My bet is that all of those combined will raise that percentage significantly. Here is an interesting link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE#Devices
    Last edited by DebiLee; 07-15-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    To be completely blunt, VoLTE has been out since 2014, so there is a chance of it being in the realm of possibility.
    There may be a possibility, but most consumers do not upgrade their phones every 2 years or less IMHO.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Yeah go to the Verizon website and shop for a phone. Site list 28 phones. 25 of which are HD voice capable https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/hd-voice/ of course there are many phones they no longer sell that are also HD voice capable

iPhone 6, 6 plus, 6s and 6s Plus are all VoLTE capable. iPhones make up over 40% of all phones on Verizon's network and those 4 make up the majority of iPhones in use. As you know iPhone users DO in fact upgrade more often. Now if we assume that 80% of all iPhones on Verizon network are the four I mentioned and iPhones overall are 40% of all phones on Verizon's network are iPhones then math says that 32% of all phones on Verizon's network are those four phones. So to get to 50% we only need roughly 30% of android phones on Verizon's network to be VoLTE capable. I'll bet any amount of money that is the case at the very minimum.
    Okay, so you admit that not all phones sold in the last 18 months are HD voice capable? I know they are not, from personal experience. I bought a brand new Moto X in October. I'm pretty sure that the Moto X was still being actively promoted both by Verizon and Best Buy through December. That's only seven months ago. There were several others available at that time which weren't HD Voice capable.

As to your other point, you make a good argument and you may be correct. Even with a lack of supporting documentation you are entitled to your opinion. I've never seen stats on which phones are actually in use, that's why I asked for a source. It would be interesting to see that data. I do know several people who still use iPhone 5's. I've found that people on this forum who talk about cellular service on a daily basis are not even nearly representative of the typical cellular user out in the real world.

Feedback Score
    I prefer they get 20X20 600 MHz then sell off band 13 and be done with the stupid rules that apply to ONLY that band.
    Those "stupid rules" are the only reason I'm able to use the device of my choice -- Nexus 6 -- with the software of my choice -- Cyanogenmod -- instead of some locked down walled garden POS plastered with the ugly Verizon logo on all four sides.

Besides, let us not pretend that Verizon didn't get plenty in exchange for agreeing to those "stupid rules." The Block C nationwide license allowed them to deploy a complete LTE overlay, across virtually all of CONUS, years ahead of their competitors. Verizon was lighting up new markets every week, at a time when AT&T was struggling to get LTE into the major cities, never mind places like Binghamton NY, Scranton PA, or other second and third level markets.

Whatever lead Verizon has today is owed entirely to their decision to accept the "stupid rules" on Block C so they could hit the ground running with LTE.

Feedback Score
    Those "stupid rules" are the only reason I'm able to use the device of my choice -- Nexus 6 -- with the software of my choice -- Cyanogenmod -- instead of some locked down walled garden POS plastered with the ugly Verizon logo on all four sides..
    I actually like unlocked, branded phones. The new Verizon✓ branding looks pretty spiffy IMHO.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Unlimited tethering is why Verizon wants to get rid of unlimited data.
    Then why do they still offer the $30 unlimited hotspot option? You're not making sense.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast